Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot
Age: 29
Posts: 2214
Joined: Feb 24, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby movieartman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Someone has a bootleg of the Making of the Cyborg sequence, the original score is used but flows into something a bit new.
^_^
https://twitter.com/mikediva/status/797745735148007424

Ray
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 6706
Joined: Feb 10, 2014
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ray » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:46 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:And how many of these Asian actors A: look like the Major, B: have the acting legs for it, and C: speak good enough English for it (without a serious accent)?


I Would've gone the Kingsman Route cast a no -name total unknown Asian girl and surrounded her with a bunch of marketable actors. That's the best scenario I fan see happening. Whitewashed to please the executives, but at least the lead isn't whitewashed.

That's not being racist, that's being realistic.

Just because it's correct doesnt mean it's right.

Same reason the Attack on Titan live action movie had Japanese actors despite being set in a fictional historical Germany.


In Japan. THERE ARE NO WHITE PEOPLE TO CAST. That's not the case in America!

GITS on the other hand has been marketed well

That's debateable.

and seems to be a well-made movie
,
If they can fix the CGI in post. Because right now it looks really poor and green-screeny.


I don't give a toss about race. I don't care if it's a white, Asian or whatever actress playing the Major. What I care about is that she suits the role and looks like the character. And Scarlett definitely does.


If it takes place in Asia, and is about an Asian person. It only makes sense to cast an ASIAN person! If the role is for an Asian and you're not Asian, you shouldn't get the role because it doesn't suit you!

She doesn't look like the Major. Because it's impossible for a real life person to look like an anime one. the fact that they're bending and butchering the source material just to justify casting a marketable white actress is just wrong.

But whatever. I concede. Can't win against fools.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Squigsquasher
Banned
Age: 24
Posts: 3671
Joined: Feb 09, 2013
Location: The bonus 10th level of hell
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:13 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I Would've gone the Kingsman Route cast a no -name total unknown Asian girl and surrounded her with a bunch of marketable actors. That's the best scenario I fan see happening. Whitewashed to please the executives, but at least the lead isn't whitewashed.

They could have done but why bother? ScarJo suits the role fine. She looks like Motoko.

Just because it's correct doesnt mean it's right.

Well this has to be the dumbest non-sequitur I've heard in a while.

In Japan. THERE ARE NO WHITE PEOPLE TO CAST. That's not the case in America!

You're right, there's lots of white people to cast in America!

That's debateable.

Well considering the hype I'd say no, no it isn't.

If they can fix the CGI in post. Because right now it looks really poor and green-screeny.

Looks fine to me. Plus, as you say, it's not even finished yet.

If it takes place in Asia, and is about an Asian person. It only makes sense to cast an ASIAN person! If the role is for an Asian and you're not Asian, you shouldn't get the role because it doesn't suit you!

Well considering that the Major is so heavily augmented that she barely even qualifies as human anymore, her race is pretty irrelevant anyway. For all we know she could have been black before she got her body.

She doesn't look like the Major. Because it's impossible for a real life person to look like an anime one. the fact that they're bending and butchering the source material just to justify casting a marketable white actress is just wrong.

Buh? So casting an actress who looks quite a bit like the artistic depictions of the Major is "bending and butchering the source material"? Heck, the artstyle for GITS is fairly "realistic" as anime goes.

But whatever. I concede. Can't win against fools.

The only fool here is you. But I'm glad you're quitting before you completely embarrass yourself anyway.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 9269
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Major was a dude in the manga. In the anime Major was a 12-year-old girl. If I don't see either of those things in this remake, I'm gonna call "sexism" against men and "ageism" against children.

Because reasons.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos
User avatar
Posts: 4486
Joined: Jul 21, 2006
Location: Somewhere out there
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BobBQ » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Let's have a little less omnislashing and namecalling in here.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:21 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Holy shit that looks great. Though I hope we get some Kenji Kawai music in the film proper.



The remade shelling sequence uses a redone version of the song from the original, done by Kawai himself.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot
Age: 29
Posts: 2235
Joined: Apr 16, 2009
Location: North Carolina

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Watch the twist be her having a new body at the end of the film that's Japanese.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 1303
Joined: Oct 24, 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:08 pm

IDK what to say that hasn't already been said so I will be brief.

At first I was pissed as hell about the whole Major whiteface issue. It has only been in these more recent days with the trailer hitting the internet showing off the possibilities the imagery could bring that I started overlooking the casting decision. Ultimately, i'm more of an effects guy and I guess I could make room for my list to see it when it comes out. Just as long as one mention of the name Motoko Kusanagi comes about in at least one scene. :tongue:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:15 pm

Who says her brain isn't still Japanese regardless of what the body looks like? Full cyborg is the ultimate expression of Trans-everything.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 412
Joined: Mar 28, 2007

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Again, If it's true it's "Inspired by that episode of Affection in Second Gig” then it might actually have a pretty daring take on refugee, economic collapse and American aggression. Although I'm sceptical, I'd definitely be willing to excuse a mere casting decision if they did that.

gitswiki wrote: Batou and Togusa test eight potential new recruits for Section 9. Each man is paired off to create four different teams, and each team is tasked with tracking the Major; however, the Major proves to be a difficult target to track, and eventually she loses all four teams attempting to track her.


And it does look like it's shaping up to be pretty good. Again, did people not watch GitS:SAC 2nd Gig?
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 9085
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:39 pm

So, I just heard Clint Mansell is attached to do the music.

Sold.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Instagram] [Twitch]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 37
Posts: 8902
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman
Gender: Female

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:21 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Who says her brain isn't still Japanese regardless of what the body looks like? Full cyborg is the ultimate expression of Trans-everything.


As much as I rag on you guys for believing in the singularity I hope it comes I can get a sexy lady robot body.

I am going to be such a slut.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 6706
Joined: Feb 10, 2014
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ray » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:09 pm

This article from the guardian discusses the changes from the source material. And how it seems the American adaptation isn't going to push any boundaries.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... -johansson

The original film doesn’t just examine the next stage of evolution – the one we can easily get our heads around – it looks beyond the curve of the horizon to the stage beyond that, to the unsettling, darkling reality of our own fusion with technology. Meanwhile, the Hollywood remake appears to be looking in the opposite direction.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Squigsquasher
Banned
Age: 24
Posts: 3671
Joined: Feb 09, 2013
Location: The bonus 10th level of hell
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:12 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:This article from the guardian discusses the changes from the source material. And how it seems the American adaptation isn't going to push any boundaries.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... -johansson

The Guardian is a useless Socialist rag. Seriously, it's like the left wing version of the Daily Mail.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 412
Joined: Mar 28, 2007

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:27 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:The Guardian is a useless Socialist rag. Seriously, it's like the left wing version of the Daily Mail.


America is a demon spreading devastation and terror across the world but the point is this article is just a review of the trailer. It's not telling you what you don't already know, it just makes a general comparison between GitS as a whole and what the trailer wants American movie goers to think it's about.

The collider interview posted above really does say which exact episode of Stand Alone Complex it's going to be based on.

“We’re not doing Puppetmaster. It’s not Laughing Man. It involves Kuze. The Kuze story. The big thing we are doing here is that we’re not necessarily doing an origins backstory, but we are addressing her sense of self and resolving how she defines herself in terms of memories. That’s one of the main thrusts in the story. Inspired by that episode of Affection in Second Gig. It’s bits and pieces of those mixed together.”


Again, if you want to know what this movie is going to be like why don't you just read the GitS wiki? This has all been posted upthread as well.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot
Age: 29
Posts: 2214
Joined: Feb 24, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby movieartman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:40 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:America is a demon spreading devastation and terror across the world

1.) Just the middle east.
2.) Everywhere we have gone to war in the last 3 decades was already a genocide prone shit storm before we got there.
3.) That is the fault of globalist human trash within the government of America not the fault of America itself or the American people.
Last edited by movieartman on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Posts: 412
Joined: Mar 28, 2007

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm sorry, I took Squig's bait. I shouldn't have.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Squigsquasher
Banned
Age: 24
Posts: 3671
Joined: Feb 09, 2013
Location: The bonus 10th level of hell
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Bait? That wasn't bait. That was just my honest opinion. The Guardian is basically a different flavour of Daily Mail, and not really a good example of quality journalism. I'm sorry if it was perceived as bait, it wasn't intended to be. Cool your jets.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 74
Posts: 10703
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:41 pm

But what was the relevance of it to an article about a film?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Squigsquasher
Banned
Age: 24
Posts: 3671
Joined: Feb 09, 2013
Location: The bonus 10th level of hell
Gender: Male

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:12 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But what was the relevance of it to an article about a film?

Presumably about as relevant as a Guardian article is to meaningful discussion on anything, this film included. :tongue:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.


Return to “Film and Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests