Anime Recommendations Thread (READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:11 pm

Hunter21 wrote:Since this thread got revived I will add another recommendation. Kiddy Grade It is another Girls with guns anime and is sort of a cross between Noir and Dirty Pair.

BTW, I just watched the DVD pilot for Kiddy Grade 2, looks pretty good.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:55 pm

since youtube is deleting most of the anime vids i'll mostlikely stick to just using daliymotion.com, but i can't find any full episodes of FLCL any where :cry:
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Jamie the Great
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jamie the Great » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:50 am

Kaminoyouni wrote:since youtube is deleting most of the anime vids i'll mostlikely stick to just using daliymotion.com, but i can't find any full episodes of FLCL any where :cry:

I noticed that youtube was doing that too, I was upset because I couldn't watch my ouran high school host club, I was sad! :(

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:28 pm

lol, its just my luck I guess, I watch a series all the way through, and just after I get done, they delete it...

Except for Dokuro-chan, they deleted that for me halfway through. Found another person posting it though, I've seen the entire series now.

Currently someone's uploading Gurren-Lagann though, so I'm happy.

EDIT: Sorta related...perhaps we could make a list of the channels that show anime, the anime they show, and what time it comes on. I can't usually remember this stuff, I think I missed the Ani-Monday because I forgot about it....
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:35 am

Ornette wrote:
Hunter21 wrote:Since this thread got revived I will add another recommendation. Kiddy Grade It is another Girls with guns anime and is sort of a cross between Noir and Dirty Pair.

BTW, I just watched the DVD pilot for Kiddy Grade 2, looks pretty good.

I saw it too. It looked like it might have promise. I am a little worried about the characters being a little too much of a rehash of the originals though. But I will give the series some time before I make any judgement calls on whether it is good or not.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:16 pm

Well, it's a visual novel, so it's not TECHNICALLY an anime, but Narcissu gets my full recommendation. Hell, it's actually the first proper anime visual novel i've ever read. Ballbreakingly depressing stuff. The entire concept is incredibly sad. Even though it's retardedly sad in nature, it has excellent music, a terrific translation, high quality writing, one hell of a ride for a plot, and plays out without inconsistencies or plotholes; if a little short, only 8 chapters, will take you a few hours to finish. It's not like Tsukihime or anything where you decide the path you choose; it's simply a visual novel. And don't expect hotblooded mantears like Gurren Lagann; expect to cry wimpy girl tears. I didn't properly cry, because that's something i've yet to do for something fictional, but I got really constricted, emotional and my eyes went misty; I came damn close.

Seriously, even though I hate overly dramatic stuff, it pulls off drama while being great. Now, whenever I think of anime related shit, I can't stop thinking about this and it's depressing as hell story. Terrific read.

By the way...it's only out in Japan, but it's been fan translated for English, for free. Would it be okay if I linked it, mods?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:56 pm

I recommend BLEACH.

Ya, I know what your thinking. It's a mainstream anime that only appeals to obnoxious 11 year olds, and I used to think the same thing. To tell you the truth, I went through a period of one or two months where I couldn't stand this show. But a couple of days ago I caved and started watching all the episodes on YouTube, and I've been hooked ever since.

Bleach has it's flaws, make no mistake (way too many filler episodes are my main gripe), but it's got some decent character development, and I love the art style to death, not to mention some very catchy (cheesy) music. It's not some uber deep show like EVA or Elfen Lied though. Bleach is just about a bunch of teenagers kicking ass, but it's a good one. So if your looking to forget about your crappy life for a little bit, I can't recommend this one enough.

BTW- Meet my new Goddess, Momo Hinamori.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
HAIR BUNS RULE! 8)
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:53 pm

^ First season was awesome. Second season was all filler and I gave up after that.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:36 pm

^What Brik-kun said.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:53 am

Another recommendation from Trigger, if anyone even listens to me; Voices of a Distant Star.

I'm into the romancey stuff nowadays...it's about a 15 year old girl who gets enlisted in a futuristic army to pursue an alien race, but she has to leave her boyfriend behind on earth, so she decides to keep in touch by sending mail on her cellphone. But, the farther from earth she goes, the longer it takes for her calls to reach him. This was all drawn by one man, and it's only one episode long; a lot of effort went into it. It's about how the distance between two people doesn't matter at all, as long as they love each other; really beautiful stuff. And it's only an episode long, so what do you have to lose?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Voices of a Distant Star

A brilliant work. Very impressive. Great story, too.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Voices was a really great movie... It did in half an hour what most movies do in two...
The fate of distruction is also the joy of rebirth.

N2 Toaster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby N2 Toaster » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:46 pm

Anyone who's interested in something serious and political should check out Le Chevalier D'Eon. It's very epic, elegant and done by I.G.
He said the guy killed 16 Czechoslovakians, and he was an interior decorator.

Themaninblack
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:47 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:The funny thing is that ARMS, the studio that made Elfen Lied usually makes hentai titles. They made Kite and Mezzo Forte, among others.

Was Mezzo and Kite hentai?...I mean both have versions with all the hanky panky cut...all the sex scenes are like 10 minutes long totaly in each series. compared to about an an hour long story
I won.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:10 pm

Mezzo was not, only Mezzo Forte, the 2 OVA prequel to the TV series. Even though there was only 1 sex scene it's still hentai.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:21 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
Trigger's Elysium wrote:Voices of a Distant Star

A brilliant work. Very impressive. Great story, too.

I first saw it in English class, very good story.
If you enjoyed watching VoaDS, then I would recommend The Place Promised in Our Early Days.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanatos
Embryo

Hellsing Ultimate

•      
  •      

Postby Thanatos » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm

I saw that Hellsing was listed quite a few pages back. I loved the series but it really did go downhill in the second half. The plot started to fall apart, and it began introducing characters and events that never even happened in the manga story.

If you have read the manga then you already know who the real enemy should have been. The series changed this and it was a huge mistake. However the series is being remade currently into a number OVAs that are staying very true to the manga story. HELLSING ULTIMATE is the name chosen for this reincarnation.

The story follows Alucard, a vampire of incredible power whose past is hinted at from time to time. He is bound to serve Integra Hellsing; the young leader of the glorious Hellsing Organization. Hellsing is dedicated to destroying vampires and their undead creations. Alucard is their primary weapon in this war waged on the forces of the undead.

This remake puts the old series to shame. The action sequences are fantastic. The only negative aspect is the original series composer Yasushi Ishii wasn't brought on board for the remakes, and i miss his music greatly.

The series is still in production and only the first 3 OVAs are currently available, and only two of those have been released in the states. The fansubs are good though, but the dub cast is also quite tolerable. Crispin Freeman's Alucard voice is great i think.
"The one who lacks courage to be a hammer, comes off in the role of the anvil." -Oswald Spengler

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:38 pm

Yeah, Hellsing Ultimate is awesome. I follow the manga.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:32 pm

Eps 1 and 2 were awesome. I thought Ep. 3 had horrible animation, though. Plus, it was cheesy, over the top, and had no plot. Hopefully, this was just sort of a fluke and doesn't continue on for the remaining episodes.
Awesomely Shitty

Themaninblack
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:16 pm

Ornette wrote:Mezzo was not, only Mezzo Forte, the 2 OVA prequel to the TV series. Even though there was only 1 sex scene it's still hentai.

WHAT???....well its very long winded smut then...
I won.

Return to “Anime and Manga”