"Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 3+1 HYPE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Suicidahlia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Suicidahlia » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:04 am

That was beautiful. Such a lovely piece of moody art.
Few years back, I had this personal tradition of rewatching EoE on the 24th of December (and no, this had nothing to do with me being an atheist). It reminds me of those days. Wish that I've discovered it around Christmas...
I love the throwbacks to original series, like the Asukas or bookends Rei. I hope that when 4.0 comes, we'll see what all of this means, and if this does mean anything at all :bigeyes:
[When I was checking vitals
I suggested a smile
You didn't talk for a while
You were freezing]

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:12 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:According to Eva Fan, based on Hayashibara's manner of speaking, another Eva short related to the main story (NTE in this case??), like a completely separate "derivative-version Eva" is possible. He speculates maybe it'd have to do with that 3D CG Eva-like mecha from the PV (the "Black Evangelion").

tl;dr:
    *Until You Come to Me is a derivative work (So...Peaceful Times too?).

What does "derivative work" means, that it could eventually be canon, or that it's definitively not canon?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:37 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:What does "derivative work" means
It means that it draws upon another work. Fanfics are derivative works, though unless your name is Hideaki Anno, nobody will call your NGE fic canon.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:07 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It means that it draws upon another work. Fanfics are derivative works, though unless your name is Hideaki Anno, nobody will call your NGE fic canon.

So in short, we're not more advanced than before. :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Very nice analysis by GoatJesus:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYy5HwlHgyc[/url]
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:29 pm

^ He is a member of this site, but yea it was really good.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Shakivara777
Embryo

is this the mass production Eva's units OF the final movie?

•      
  •      

Postby Shakivara777 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:57 am

MOVED
Last edited by Shakivara777 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinji you fucker

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 am

Already been discussed to death and back:
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17010/
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:17 pm

It's beautiful and obviously highly metaphorical, for me personally the Rei-filled parts were a particular attack to the heartstrings.

But mostly here we see Shnji observing the post-apocalyptic wasteland and reflecting on the past and we see things blur together, past!Gendo, Shinji's stint in the awakened EVA 01, a scary angel mask face but not the one EVA 01 had...

Obviously the shot where he gets Sachiel's chest/cracked core symbolizes the utter devastation of his heart, but it's also the blurring between angel and human.

One big point of interests are those trees in the background - they're not red, and i there's something as sophisticated as trees within walking distance from ground zero, this planet is most definitely still habitable. There were those flowers in Q but you could blame these on "eye of the storm".

But you also see core-ified grass and even the trees are... kind of purplish or blue in some shots, so we'll have to wait and see. But it puts a still-mostly habitable each back on the "somewhat possible" tab for me.

I mean, those floating pieces and half-translucent skeletons/ core-EVas aren't encouraging, it's like the laws of physics themselves are desintegrating.

Then there is the elaborate depiction of Shinji's reaction to snowflakes, like they're this alien, fascinating thing, just another part of the bizarre wasteland. Snowflakes should be the last familiar thing but Shinji's never seen them before. So it's a very deep and complicated and complete kind of sadness there.
He probably finds them to be an inexplicable, beautiful thing in a world that's become a surreal nightmare.

As for the spear spitting things, they have big green eyes, like nekkid EVA 01. Although the eye scare wasn't in rebuild, so yeah...

Beyond the already mentioned Asuka's, there's also the shorelines that follow them (or come shortly before them)- Blue to red, (as in NGE) blue on the fish preservation institute, red with stuff from the Q wasteland.

How meaningful to see the aquarium so much because that was one of the things that really hit me while rewatching 2.0 post Q - These efforts to preserve and "restock" the earth were in vain and now it's even more devastated, and as for "taking care of Katsuragi", Shinji couldn't do that either look what's become of her.

But the whole thing - Asuka going from proud and hopeful to broken and vulnerable/ old and bitter, respectively, the devastation of earth, even those pics of Kaworu in various poses from inviting to downcast (as in farewell, or lost) is a depiction of rise and decline, cummulating in that shot of ReiQ, who, for Shinji, is also a reminder of things he's lost.

This is all really from Shinji's perspective, not ReiQs or Asukas, so this montage might be something to be seen in similar terms, a recap of what's been rather than what's gonna happen, Shinji letting the image in his mind wander: He made a small, tentative effort to get closer to Rei, and his feelings/intentions actually reached her (communication motif; See all that talk about ep 6) and she made her own small, tentative steps toward him... and then she just dissapeared.

She does seem to be at the same shoreline that Shinji is ar in the later shots. they wouldn't spoil something as massive as what happens to ReiQ though a bad end doesn't seem too unlikely and everything was worse than before.

Note that in the last shot, we see Shinji-in-plugsuit overlooking a rain water lake... with Shinji-in-uniform overlooking what looks a lot like the crater that replaced Tokyo3 post ep 23, something similar to those shots from eps 24 or 25' where Shinji stands overlooking the water, all hope lost.

So, he's at a similar point in the journey basically, and now for another finale.

The little chime when he sees and follows the Rei-in-uniform aparition really kills me, though. If this is literal, he probably isn't going to reach her. But then again, Rei always represented hope so that might be it, simply put, that the next step is some sort of hope appearing before him.
Most likely he'll encounter her in a mindscape-like environment during final impact as a last farewell. Or we might catch a break, which I always hope for, but Q being the way it was...[/i]
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

unz
Israfel
Israfel

stuff

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:38 am

I find the Kaoru heads to be a continuous motion in accordance to his nature and the structure of 3.0/333 (if anything I can't stop thinking of skulls and irony) while the other heads are a whole info dump on their own crossing the whole material. At least I expect a lot of Asuka interaction with others before her role is played out or something.
The short can surely work as a recap of rebuilds, a preview and as EoE in a nutshell too with Shinji going left, having mind wankery and being pushed to self destructing intentions -hatred he has not the means to direct to anyone- and going right meaning making a choice on his own after coming in terms with his old self reflected in the water. That has been probably discussed to death since the tv series last episodes taking place in minds.
The goatjesus vid has everything else though and links to past canon things (I didn't remember the adams stuff and composition).

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:02 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Then there is the elaborate depiction of Shinji's reaction to snowflakes, like they're this alien, fascinating thing, just another part of the bizarre wasteland. Snowflakes should be the last familiar thing but Shinji's never seen them before. So it's a very deep and complicated and complete kind of sadness there.
He probably finds them to be an inexplicable, beautiful thing in a world that's become a surreal nightmare.

This joins a number of ideas that appeared in Rebuild after first being shown in Sadamoto's manga.

This is all really from Shinji's perspective, [...], a recap of what's been rather than what's gonna happen, Shinji letting the image in his mind wander:

Much of it is compatible with the way it came to me to depict Shinji's thoughts at the same juncture; this pleases me!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:09 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:you are (not) alone...until You come to me.
you can (not) advance...until You come to me.
you can (not) redo...until You come to me.

duality at its finest isn't it

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:47 pm

But he came to Kaworu, who the song is presumably meant to be the one singing the song to Shinji. and that didn't turn out well at all.

Who is he supposed to come to?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Rei II, as at the end of the short?

Of course, in the actual words of the song, it is indeed the person in the grave singing to the living of when they will be joined in death (something to cheer you up, eh? - you're welcome!).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Do you guys think anyone else can see Quantum Rei besides Shinji? I mean besides out of Instrumentality, not to say they are in Instrumentality.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Well from 3.0 we know Rei Q saw Quantum Rei. Also in EOE Ritsuko notices it as she dies.

So yes.

Edit- Infact the bridge bunnies including Fuyu see Quantum Rei before they turn in the desired person, besides Adoba.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:46 am

It's probably kaworu and Shinji but judging from how things turn in EoE it can include everyone before Shinji turns into lcl, things "joining together" and such as mentioned in the goatjesus video, like some sort of emotional prayer.
The shot of Shinji going right instead of following the steps going left is more about him making a choice on his own than going to megarei.

Shark Knight
Lilith

Re: "Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 4.0 HYPE

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Hey, does anyone have the supposed storyboards that flash in this short regarding 3+1? Like Asuka, Shinji and Rei walking throught the wasteland and then riding a merry go round?
Let None Find Us Wanting

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:09 pm

Here you go. Those are from the short film Peaceful Times.

Edit: Here they are cleaned up: https://plus.google.com/photos/+OrgSun/ ... 1372071345 I've never seen the merry-go-round bit, though.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:56 am

Has the comment on this film from the recent Evangelion outtake album been mentioned?
There was a post on Minna no Eva Fan about it here: http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-4669.html

A longer version of the Sagisu comment cited there was posted on 2ch: http://hayabusa6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/eva/1469169228/

「すなわち「アニメーター見本市」における『Until you come to me』とは『Q』内に連なるべき内容だった……とまでは明かしても良かろう。が、新劇場版は未完のままである。ファンを困惑させないためにも、それ以上はあまり触れないでおこう。」

OUTTAKES FROM EVANGELION 解説7Pより

Tanslated roughly, it means:

"In other words the contents of the Animator Expo film "until You come to me" were supposed to have lain within "Q"... I can probably reveal that much. However, the new films remain unfinished. In order to avoid confusing the fans as well, I won't be touching on it much beyond that."

MNEF comments:

やはり2013年に出た絵コンテらしき画像、2014年のuntil You come to me.(の一部画像)等は、もともと『Q』用に準備され、使われなかった素材、だった可能性がありそうです。

"It seems possible that the storyboard-like images that appeared in 2013 and (a portion of the images of) 2014's "until You come to me" were materials that had been prepared for "Q" but not used."

The MNEF post also cited a quote from (CRC editor) Ryusuke Hikawa in the magazine CD Journal, where Hikawa says that Sagisu's "Danny Boy" had apparently been produced for Eva Q but left unused.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”