What manga are you reading right now?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: What manga are you reading right now?

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:10 am

View Original PostApalos wrote:Reading Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicle.

Finished Last Order yesterday. It was... different. Some good parts, some bad parts. The sheer amount of fighting styles and the unnecessary attack explanations felt like something from Naruto, Ranma 1/2, etc.

Still glad I read it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm coming off as a hater but let me say I hate, hate, hate Last Order. The original Battle Angel Alita is my second favorite manga and I think it's something anyone who is a manga fan should read but the sequel was so average in everyway I'm coinvinced the first series had a ghost writer or at least a very hands on editor. Kishiro has amazing art and I can really only compare him to Moebius his art is so cool and unique. The first manga is a story in arcs, each one unique and Alita is very different in each of them. Last Order is just ... tournament fighting. I don't know, maybe I'm too harsh on it and I'll be more articulate on this later when I'm not at work. Let me just finish by saying the Battle Angel Alita video game is somehow less of a cliche video game than the Last Order manga.

As for what I'm reading, I'm enjoying Mitsuru Adachi's Rough. It's your basic Adachi fare, cute character designs and romance stories with sports as the driving factor. I tried to read every Adachi before but after reading Touch, Miyabi and Nine I wanted a little break. Glad to be reading him again.

Apalos
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Apalos » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:40 pm

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:Sorry if it sounds like I'm coming off as a hater but let me say I hate, hate, hate Last Order. The original Battle Angel Alita is my second favorite manga and I think it's something anyone who is a manga fan should read but the sequel was so average in everyway I'm coinvinced the first series had a ghost writer or at least a very hands on editor. Kishiro has amazing art and I can really only compare him to Moebius his art is so cool and unique. The first manga is a story in arcs, each one unique and Alita is very different in each of them. Last Order is just ... tournament fighting. I don't know, maybe I'm too harsh on it and I'll be more articulate on this later when I'm not at work. Let me just finish by saying the Battle Angel Alita video game is somehow less of a cliche video game than the Last Order manga.

As for what I'm reading, I'm enjoying Mitsuru Adachi's Rough. It's your basic Adachi fare, cute character designs and romance stories with sports as the driving factor. I tried to read every Adachi before but after reading Touch, Miyabi and Nine I wanted a little break. Glad to be reading him again.

Oh I very much get it. It was not the original Battle Angel Alita. I would not think the Z.O.T. tournament would last the entire series. I was hoping they would explore more, each book a different story.

I would not say there was a ghost writer involved, but you have to remember that he rushed the end of the first series because of his illness. Time passed. People change. His art and story telling did and we found it wanting. The story at lest, I loved the art.

Caught up the newest chapter of Mars Chronicle. Waiting. Just like Berserk.
Lurk, Work, Twerk...
Currently working on:
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Broken Trinity: From the Sea
Summary: Shinji Ikari, the last and first human on earth, screams. (Post 3I)

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:58 am

The new chapter of Dead Dead Demons Dededededestruction just came out and it is glorious. I feel like this is even better than Oyasumi Punpun now.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:44 am

The very last chapter of Nisekoi just hit the scanlation sites. So now I know whom Raku asks to marry him in the end. His reasons are actually a pretty good description of my present marriage :wink:
SPOILER: Show
Not telling!

But I will say...  SPOILER: Show
Raku's choice is similar to Shinji's, recognising that conflict is part of a worthwhile life.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Zetman

This is a darker vein of Superhero manga. To give too much away would be to spoil it, but like Watchmen this takes ideas inherent to the whole 'superpowered humans in our world' genre things like the 'evil organization' 'the ideal hero' and 'the anti-hero' and deconstructs them to the bone.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:24 pm

Just finished reading the first volume of Mohiro Kitoh's new fantasy manga Futago no Teikoku. The best way I can describe the series, in all honesty, is as follows:
He's the last living member of an ancient civilization. She's a girl cursed to kill anyone who touches her. Together. . . they fight crime.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

norival1992
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby norival1992 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:43 am

I'm reading Hunter X Hunter
:uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:22 pm

The manga version of Beltorchika's Children.

norival1992
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby norival1992 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:34 am

Tôi đang đọc One Piece và Hunter X Hunter... ^_^

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:43 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:The manga version of Beltorchika's Children.

I've heard about it. Isn't that supposed to be an alternate version of Char's Counterattack? What are the differences?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

norival1992
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby norival1992 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:35 am

I have read a lot of manga, but Naruto is still my favorite network, I still continue to expect new episodes ^_^

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Still reading Berserk... Oh the pain.

Todays there was an episode. And it was glorious ep too. No, really, it was something that most readers if Berserk have been waiting for for SO LONG.

It also ends with a cliffhanger and then we get...

....wait for it...

Oh yeah, how would... A hiatus look like? That's right bit**es, that ugly joke of an anime gets a second season next spring and is in sore need of mangaka consultation, not to mention there's this new idolmaster game that is coming out just about now. So hiatus ahoy!
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Brought the NGE manga at Barnes and Nobles (The version that combines three volumes into one). Like the new point of view it's telling the story.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:10 am

^ I remember a time when vol. 9 was supposedly rare, and I laughed because it was the only volume I owned. I nabbed it hoping it told an alternative ending, considering Kaworu was on the cover. Little did I know I'd have to wait at least another 5 years until that day.
I like the ending, by the way. That glint on the cross... bittersweet.

UQ Holder! has been on a hilariously long break since chapter 128. They say it's because a TV adaptation is in the works. Likely story.
Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope they're actually planning a direction for the rest of the plot during this hiatus. Negi's back, so now's the time for careful planning.

Fuuka is also getting a TV adaptation. Not a single note of music or word of lyrics has ever been uttered on the page, so how they'll present this on the screen and through the speakers is anybody's guess. This can't possibly end well, and not just because someone is likely to die in episode 13.

Inside Mari is wrapped up. Turns out-
She was just bonkers the whole time.

Not so much a journey with a satisfying destination as an interesting (and occasionally disturbing) exploration.

Silver Nina is very reminiscent of Yotsuba&. Pleasant, harmless, sugary reading.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

norival1992
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby norival1992 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:10 am

I'm reading Hunter X Hunter

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:43 am

So I've begun to read Minoru Furuya's Himizu. For a little background back when I was in middle school Furuya's raunchy sex comedies were what I considered some of the funniest anime and manga of all time. I remember hearing another manga he wrote was excellent and was surprised to see it was a serious drama about bullying. It wasn't totally translated at the time so I dropped it. Reading Himizu now it certainly seems like the halfway point quite literally. A sarcastic boy who goes to school and jokes with his friends about sex including "crazy" over blown reaction faces found in sillier gag manga but he has quite a depressing home life to lead to his more stoic cynicism at school. Interested to see how this turns out.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Inside Mari just dragged on for too long. The best parts were around 30-40 where
Mari was "experimenting" and Yori was freaking out and being weirdly possessive
. After that, it spiraled down, got too sentimental, and lost momentum. The same thing happened with
Aku No Hana
in my opinion, but at least that made more sense and was more interesting.

Here's hoping that Happiness doesn't go down the same path. Right now it seems really amped up after a brief lull at the beginning.
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:06 pm

Berserk is on hiatus, what is a new dad to do while baby sleeps and there's a moment of time that does not need to be used for my own sleep or chores? (as mind-blowing as that sounds, yeah...) New dad starts reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure from the beginning, of course!

It's .... Mostly hilarious so far.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:05 pm

Funny you posted that. I just worked my way through all of Berserk, starting Saturday night and finishing yesterday. The first 150 chapters or so were perfection, the series goes down from 5/5 to 4/5 for the next 175, but still great

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:51 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I've heard about it. Isn't that supposed to be an alternate version of Char's Counterattack? What are the differences?

It's quite different, many different mobile suit designs to the ones in CCA proper, it's a direct adaptation of Tomino's novel, the Sazabi is replaced with the Nightingale, the Nu Gundam eventually gets replaced by the Hi-Nu Gundam and so on. It's more in depth too, that says nothing about style or subtance of course, but it's not fully released yet anyway.

Return to “Anime and Manga”