So WTF does Migawari no Shinyu ( 身代わりの侵入) mean?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

So WTF does Migawari no Shinyu ( 身代わりの侵入) mean?

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:38 pm

I haven't read a single translation of this phrase that makes any sense in the context of its use in EoE, despite being easily the saddest song in evangelion

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: So WTF does Migawari no Shinyu ( 身代わりの侵入) mean?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:09 pm

A few other EoE tracks have similarly opaque titles. Might have to ask Numbers about them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

glitz2hard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby glitz2hard » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:45 am

I believe the translation is "Vicarious Invasion"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:53 am

The OP didn't just want the translation; they say "I haven't read a single translation of this phrase that makes any sense in the context of its use in EoE", so they want to know what the title actually MEANS.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

glitz2hard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby glitz2hard » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:58 am

Oh, in that case, I believe "vicarious" refers to Misato trying to motivate Shinji and get him to go on fighting (as to work on through him, ya know?) and invasion can refer to either Unit 01's going out to join the fight (which doesn't end up happening, but whatever) or the invasion from all those soldiers. That's the most sense I can make of it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:01 am

When you put it in terms of Misato using Shinji as something to project onto -- my brain jumped immediately to her assaulting him with the kiss.

Misato effectively becomes her father in that scene, getting mortally wounded while bringing her own "child" to safety, and then passing along the necklace before getting destroyed in an explosion. Much as Dr. Katsuragi places Misato within a confined space and shuts her out, Misato does with Shinji. It's also implied that Misato's father smiled gently at her the last time he saw her (see the "reenactment" of the flashback that's in episode 18 where Kaji stands in for Dad), and of course Misato smiles gently at Shinji.

Misato has some kind of weird paraphilia for her dad going on, and her forcing a kiss upon Shinji may tie into that. If Misato becomes her father, then Shinji becomes young Misato. Adult Misato can thus use him to play out an old fantasy of hers. She invades him to re-live her own past -- a new and improved version of it -- vicariously.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”