Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Re:

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:28 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

So recently a group of work mates and I have been talking more and more about Zelda and our different appreciations, favourite entries, characters, so on, so forth, all about the franchise. MM is hands down my favourite title, but here's the thing; I've never actually completed the game.

Yes, it's my favourite: Just thinking about the three day time system (which was pretty ahead of its time IMO), the richly layered side quests and sub-plots, the locales, soundtrack, designs and that aesthetic - As many will agree, it is the darkest Zelda game of them all, possessing something of a whimsical, existential terror and distinct sense of impending doom with that damn moon (Hah, I did a rhyme). Especially with themes of death, change and regret rampant throughout.

Recalling this post from a couple years ago; I've started playing Majora's on 3DS. I am content that I will finally finish this game this time, and I will be complete.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:34 am

Every time I try to leave FFXIV just keeps pulling me back in, goddamn this game.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:51 am

X COM 2 (with reinforcement pack)

I made a series of assumptions with this game, most of them proved wrong.

I started off building my team as I would in XCOM: EU, focusing heavily on the sniper class. Snipers however, while still powerful, aren't the money-maker class anymore. That turned out to be the Ranger. Of the ~660 aliens I killed in the campaign, my main ranger killed close to 1/3 of them.

I assumed that health bars, after a certain point, reflected the soldier's health. Before that point, my soldiers could take a hit or two without being injured.
Turns out, even with full armor, one or two lost hit points can translate to "gravely injured" = on the bench for over a week.

I thought that, eventually, I'd have to replace my original team with new guys who could better improve their "will" stat. I prepared a slate of squaddies just for that outcome. Turns out, no. Nothing about "will" is affected this way, and unless you want a full psy agent team (which are now their own discrete class, and take forever to train), there's no reason to replace your originals (unless, y'know, they die).

There is a minor boost in the form of the War center, which gives newly promoted units a single bonus from outside their class. But since this is assigned randomly, this seemed like too much work to find a useful combination.

When I entered the Alien Hunters mission, I hadn't even seen a Viper yet. I thought Bradford's "Reaper" Ability was unique to him. Thankfully, that was wrong.

When I got the Spark robot, I assumed that the Sacrifice ability would follow for a few turns before turning off. That mistake nearly got my whole team killed.

Speaking of which, background info in the database says that Shen invented those bots before the invasion.

I'm pretty sure that's an editorial oversight, as otherwise... wut? You mean to say that I mutilated my soldiers in XCOM: EW to create Mech troopers, when Shen knew perfectly damn well how to make robots that could do the exact same thing?

Though, not *exactly* the same I admit. I used my Spark as a tank, and early on, as a dedicated unit to strip enemy armor (I screwed up, so the spark was the only unit I had who could do this). But besides that, they're pretty mediocre soldiers. I kept using Unit-01 though, as it could still function as a tank even late game, and it's hilarious with the Julian voice, who I swear is the same guy that voiced the Riddler in the Batman games.

"Guns fire bullets, lights, sometimes plasma-- DID I MENTION THAT I NEED AMMO?!" :lol:

All in all, fun game. Just wish I could replace the music with the original's, it's the only thing I'd say isn't an improvement here.
Also, I miss Bradford's voice. BP
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:22 am

Zero Time Dilemma is pretty good so far, but god do i feel sorry for anyone who didn't start this trilogy from the beginning. Both of the previous ones only got especially interesting after getting an ending or two, so i'm not surprised that this hasn't hooked me yet, but i have confidence it will soon.

Bought Titty Witch 2, since it came with a Wii U port of Titty Witch 1. I like Rodin and all the references to other Hideki Kamiya titles, as well as the Eggman joke at the beginning. The game has style, but these Alfheim trials are really pissing me off; i can't bounce on tiny head angels for 20 seconds straight because Titty Witch has this annoying tendency to automatically drop kick if she falls too far.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:48 am

It took me 29 hours to clear ZTD. No help from guides. Let me know if you beat me, King.

Prepare for the shock of your life when you discover Phi’s secret:
SPOILER: Show
That’s not her real hair colour! OMFG
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:09 am

Another Metroid 2 Remake is out (that's actually it's name) and this is all I have to say to Nintendo besides fuck you:
https://youtu.be/o-WwL2FzjV4?t=7
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Dude:

DUDE:

DUDE YOOOOOOO:

From the new Spice and Wolf VN

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:06 am

you are too excited you posted this on the gaming thread not the Anime Thread.

Spice and Wolf is Baaaaaaaack! :woohoo:

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:55 pm

So uh, this happened:

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:24 am

^I've been really excited for this, hope my aging PC can handle it.

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Another Metroid 2 Remake is out (that's actually it's name) and this is all I have to say to Nintendo besides fuck you:
https://youtu.be/o-WwL2FzjV4?t=7

I've started playing this recently and I must say that it's a must-play for anyone craving a 2D Metroid/Metroidvania fix since it's unlikely Nintendo will be pooping one out soon, if ever. The only complaint I really have about it is that the Spin Charge Attack from Super Metroid and Zero Mission isn't around anymore (fully charge a shot, then jump into something to damage it) although I will concede that it was a pretty overpowered, albeit very fun ability as a kind of discount Screw Attack that could be used once the Charge Beam was acquired..
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:56 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:The only complaint I really have about it is that the Spin Charge Attack from Super Metroid and Zero Mission isn't around anymore

Um yes it is, the power was just scaled back a bit so it's not op.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:52 pm

New month means more money to buy games and BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Extend was on sale on Steam (and I was going to get it anyway after beating Continuum Shift Extend) so I bought it. I figured I'd give it a brief play in Versus just for fun and that's how I discovered this little yet grating nuisance I can't seem to get rid of:

A piece of text in the corner that always says [CP] or [CPEX] depending on which version of the game you've chosen to play.

It's an utter eyesore (it's not even unified into the HUD, it's literally debug text that's always on-screen) but I can find neither an option nor a mod to get rid of it. The game has an option to let you turn off the FPS counter so why not this as well? For crying out loud, are they afraid I'm going to forget whether I'm playing Extend mode or not? Why not add frickin' text to Continuum Shift that reminds me I'm not playing Chronophantasma since all three games look exactly the same?

EDIT:

I made a topic in the Steam discussion forum for the game and someone there made a mod for me that completely solves the problem. The kindness of strangers! You can't imagine how happy I was to battle my friend who's over in Versus without having that annoying blasted text in the corner. That the mod also removes certain other text that pops up like "Counter!" didn't bother me one bit, I found.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:51 pm

More Thunder Force V and I've finally managed to reach the 6th level boss. Still haven't managed to complete the game on Easy though...

Also played a little bit of The Game Paradise again and I am slowly improving, still not enough to actually end up on the high score list due to negative scores, but I went from a best score of -600,000 to -400,000 :lol: Gods, that game is BRUTAL.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:20 pm

Not currently playing, but in the near future...

The remasters of Arkham Asylum/City and Skyrim come out within ten days of each other for the new generation consoles. Ahghhhh, but whhyyyy? Nostalgia demands I get both these games, but money. Eh, I just won't eat for a week. :tongue:

As of this moment, I'm playing Pokemon X. Haven't picked up a main Pokemon title since Sapphire, and I'm rather pleased with it overall.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Glorious PC master race has had HD mods since forever. Mwahahaha
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:42 pm

^ As well as hardware compatibility issues and greater likelihood of experiencing crashes, performance issues, and devs just not caring to make sure the damn thing works right. :ninja:

But it's worth it. :sly:

I was playing Chronophantasma Extend with a friend of mine yesterday, and he was kicking my ass when we played on the PS3 so I suggested we switch to playing on my PC to confirm a suspicion I had that the controller was the problem. He got to use the same controller he was using before, whereas now I could use my favorite (my PS4 controller), on the same system. I kicked his ass for the rest of the night.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:51 am

Codename STEAM was in the bargain bin, so I picked it up. I have to say this was surprisingly good for what I was expecting.

it's basically a cross between a 3rd person shooter and Fire Emblem style strategy game. it only has one difficulty setting and it gets really challenging as you go on.

Its also really goofy, Abraham Lincoln fighting aliens goofy.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 pm

I've been playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice all week. Just beat the final case tonight and it was absolutely incredible. I definitely think this is one of the best games in the series.

Dragon Quest 7 comes out tomorrow, so I plan to pick that up and give it a go, then Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse early next week. So many games to play, so little time ;-;
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:54 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Codename STEAM was in the bargain bin

This makes me sad. Tom Sawyer with the Bomb lobber was always an indispensable unit for me.
I love how a Japanese developed game is easily the most “America, fuck yeah!” thing I’ve ever seen.

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice

I’ll wait for the next Capcom sale before picking this up. There seems to be one every month on the eshop…

Tried playing Metroid Prime Blast Ball. What a pitiful experience. Not a bad idea- shooting at a ball to get it into a goal, but the rain of bullets never stops and the physics have no rhyme or reason. You can hit the damn thing with a fully charged shot and still it refuses to go where you expect.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:02 pm

^I picked up Federation Force for the campaign mode. Blast Ball is, quite frankly, complete shit. The idea is fine but the physics make no sense at all like you said and victory and defeat are pure luck. I've heard you're supposed to aim at the bottom of the ball, but there's no way to do that with any sort of accuracy with the gyro controls, and definitely not during a frantic match. The respawn times are way too long too.

The main game was a lot of fun, I thought. Like a bite-sized, portable version of Metroid Prime. It gets really hard in the later levels if you're going solo, but it also feels properly Metroid with you fighting an entire world of hostile inhabitants by yourself.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”