Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Prison School eps. 2-3: Really appreciating the dynamic that Kiyoshi and Gakuto have in their bonding together talking strategy however misunderstood it amusingly is by Shingo. Hana's peeing fetish is not scoring cool points with me since it's a kink I am NOT into.

Aquarion ep. 3: It's a tough ride so far because the female love interest Silvia gets on my nerves with her arrogance and annoyance with her not accepting the obvious possibility that her and Apollo are meant to be.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:57 am

View Original PostRay wrote:
Aside from the aforementioned scene, this animes concept of Christian belief is. . . Schizophrenic to say the least. there are parts of the anime where it specifically talks about Jesus message of loving thy neighbor contrasting with the hypocrisy of the medieval church And are more or less played straight. Then you've got things like Valkyrie and Pagan gods talking to the Archangel Michael.

yeah the Archangel Michael isn't portrayed in a flattering light here. less of a proud warrior of God's Kingdom and more as a creepy robotic marionette dishing out God's punishment with all the empathy of a serial killer.

I'm curios to see what a devout catholic would say about this series. . .

Never seen it, but I doubt it has anything that could top Blue Excorists Vatican Stealth Bomber nuking Hell. Or Hellsing's Airborne Crusade into London. Or VOTOMS space Pope defending his space Vatican with space Shermans.

A common thread I've noticed in anime portrayals of Christian spirituality (besides just the casual inclusion/invocation of Western pagan pantheons, as you've noted here), is to treat demons as misunderstood folk, and portray even Satan himself as having "redeeming" qualities. This portrayal I imagine better aligns with the Japanese's inhereited Chinese ideas about the celestial bureaucracy and the beings who manage it.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:17 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:anime portrayals of Christian spirituality (besides just the casual inclusion/invocation of Western pagan pantheons
You should try reading some Shakespeare some time. Casual invocation of the Olympians happens all the time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:07 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You should try reading some Shakespeare some time. Casual invocation of the Olympians happens all the time.

Considering a number of them take place in Roman times, I'm not surprised. ;)

Still, by "casual" I don't mean simply peripheral or gratuitous. Take the "Catholic" forces invocation, and fist-shaking at Mars in Hellsing. Eliminating him is the stated objective of their Crusade. That's something that could only make sense to the people writing it. As does having people in Roman Catholic attire somehow turn out to be joint worshipers of Yahweh, and pagan gods, with no trace of irony.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:05 pm

El squib's "what to watch?" request relocated here:arrow:

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Considering a number of them take place in Roman times, I'm not surprised.

But by no means all -- for example
Juliet, balcony scene wrote:...
Dost thou love me? I know thou wilt say 'Ay',
And I will take thy word. Yet, if thou swear'st,
Thou mayst prove false. At lovers' perjuries,
They say, Jove laughs. O gentle Romeo,
Yes, she's paraphrasing Ovid here, and this may be Italy, but the Montagues and Capulets are well post the fall of the Western Empire, and there are plenty of friars around trying to aid the star-crossed couple.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:54 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:But by no means all -- for example
Yes, she's paraphrasing Ovid here, and this may be Italy, but the Montagues and Capulets are well post the fall of the Western Empire, and there are plenty of friars around trying to aid the star-crossed couple.

She's invoking him as a cultural idiom though; not as if she both believe in his existence and is his adherent follower, as well as God's.

Anyway; how's Thunderbolt Fantasy in your eyes? I just finished the first episode, and I'm loving it.

However, I'm a bit unsure if this is the right subforum to mention it; it has anime people making it, it has conventions commonly used in anime, and it has a TM Revolution OP I swear I've heard in an anime... but it's not *really* anime. It's a Chuuni fantasy meets Thunderbirds. Or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon by way of Team America, sans comedic tone.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Anyway; how's Thunderbolt Fantasy in your eyes? I just finished the first episode, and I'm loving it.

However, I'm a bit unsure if this is the right subforum to mention it; it has anime people making it, it has conventions commonly used in anime, and it has a TM Revolution OP I swear I've heard in an anime... but it's not *really* anime. It's a Chuuni fantasy meets Thunderbirds. Or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon by way of Team America, sans comedic tone.
It's currently in "Plan to Watch" state.

And just because it's a literal, rather than a joking, "Taiwanese puppet show", I see no reason not to include it here.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:46 am

Speaking of ridiculous depictions of Christianity in anime, Bakuon episode 4 was a thing to behold, what with the Big J himself taking over for Giorgio Tsoukalos and then ferrying Hane to see an Aomori landmark. I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this series because it had a terrible first episode that made it seem like just another really dumb schoolgirls doing fanservicey things kind of show, but it quickly morphed into something more akin to, believe it or not, Cromartie High School. It even has its own Freddie in Raimu.

Iketeru Futari: I know I'm on record of saying that I'd prefer my harem/ecchi/romcom male protagonists to possess at least some semblance of an actual sex drive, because proper sex comedy can be really, really funny (see: Golden Boy, B Gata H Kei). However, comedy is difficult, and there are some obvious pitfalls that come with ramping up the protagonist horniness factor. To put it bluntly, there is a difference between an endearing perv protagonist and a sex criminal. Iketeru Futari's male protagonist Keisuke actually gets stopped by cops for perving out on public, and it isn't even some wacky misunderstanding. He acts like a 4channer who hanged himself and against all odds did wake up in a high school anime, and it's exactly as cringy as it sounds. (He obviously molests the Rei clone the most.)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:59 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:I must say, I didn't have high expectations for this series because it had a terrible first episode that made it seem like just another really dumb schoolgirls doing fanservicey things kind of show, but it quickly morphed into something more akin to, believe it or not, Cromartie High School. It even has its own Freddie in Raimu.

Your initial assessment wasn't far off the mark though, this moment is one of a few instances of surreal humor in the show, the rest is pretty standard fare.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:59 am

Re:Zero
SPOILER: Show
Subaru picks shit tier girl he barely knows/has interacted with over best girl rem after she gave the best confession ever.
Jesus fucking christ I didnt know it was possible to have taste this shit, and I've read the LN spoilers, why does this author hate best girl?

Erased:
SPOILER: Show
Even more NTR
N
T
R
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:41 pm

Sweetness & Lightning Ep 5: A good episode, but it did leave me one question. What do they mean when they say strong flour & weak flour? Do they mean something like bleached and unbleached or the difference between all-purpose and bread flour?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:07 am

The latter -- strong flour means high gluten content, and thus best suited for bread dough.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:08 am

Project ICE: this lesbian remake of Garzey's Wing is the place where the Final Fantasy aesthetic goes to die. And apparently it was made to promote the up-and-coming young idols of AKB48. I'm frankly astounded that the group ever greenlit another anime project having any ties to them. The entirety of ICE's running time is so laden with human-jellyfish hybrids, eyeball licking, tit-punching, surprise decapitations and general fuckiness that it'd probably take a 10 000 word Justin Sevakis column to even scratch the surface.

Otome Youkai Zakuro: You can tell it's a fantasy series when Republicans and Democrats are getting along this well.

Demonbane, episode 5: On one hand, Demonbane is a clumsy, low-budget visual novel adaptation. On the other had, it's a show that supercollides anime cliches with Lovecraftian cliches and has a beach episode titled THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH, which is conceptually one of the funniest things I've ever encountered in an anime.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Having been away last week at a place that had wet string instead of internets, it's taken me until now to watch the behind the scenes episode 0 of Thunderbolt Fantasy. Having grown up on Supermarionation™, this is both weirdly familiar and at the same time subtly awry (they don't have any strings!) -- but it looks worth going on with.

And also Amanchu second episode -- I've been ruined for this by Flying Witch. That was comfy, this is irritating, with the "aren't they quirky? Look!!" being played up too much, like Pikari being in face-fault mode so much that when she has a normal face it just looks like "who is this different character? There was a only whistle-blowing retard around just now" instead. Overall, Pikari is way too over-caffeinated genki, Cha is just as bad as President Aria, and Teko is just a doormat.

The figure hugging outfits and fetish boots don't go anywhere near far enough to rescue this from disappointment of the year status.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:22 pm

First episode of Attack on Titan was good not great. Eren has a temper on him that makes him come off as bratty which doesn't make one feel too much for his catalystic tragedy concerning his mother.

Cowboy Bebop episode 9 on the other hand provides amusing humor with Edward's antics. Also, the space combat harkens back to Watanabe's prior work on Macross Plus which evokes relaxing nostalgia.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:50 pm

Watched the first Kizumonogatari movie. Loved it, no regrets watching it before the other two come out.

I've been thinking about watching Re:Zero. Is it really a good show or have the internet masses just been hyping it up on account of the girls' hairstyles?
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:11 pm

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote: I've been thinking about watching Re:Zero. Is it really a good show or have the internet masses just been hyping it up on account of the girls' hairstyles?

I too have been wondering about that series, but alas, I don't plan to watch it until it wraps up, so I can't help ya out. There seemed to be some pretty big deal episodes in it, so it may indeed be a fun watch for things other than slick haircuts. The sentence or two I read about it back in April did sound coool. I actually probably would have been watching it by now but I'm not much of a fantasy guy, and I've got enough damn anime on my to watch list.

Orange has been consistently touching and legit through the first six episodes, if anyone's looking for something to pick up. I hate, hate the shows OP, though. Thing drives me nuts.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Well, over the last few days I binge-watched EscaFlowne*. I enjoyed it as much as the first time around, and found more to admire in it too.

I've pre-ordered a copy of the HD remastering; I ordered from the USA, as Funimation have done a complete new dub because there are extra scenes in the HD version of the first five episodes, but curiously Manga in the UK are releasing it without that (and the Funimation packaging and extras look better). Mind you, this time around I watched it subbed anyway!

* Escaflowne or EscaFlowne? Well it's inconsistent, so who cares, right?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:52 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:but curiously Manga in the UK are releasing it without that (and the Funimation packaging and extras look better).

Manga? Are you sure you're following the right company?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:04 pm

The Amazon UK description doesn't name the company, so I don't know where I got Manga UK from; however, the description there explicitly says that the episodes that are different in the HD version do not have an English dub:
The Ultimate edition of Escaflowne is available for the first time in the UK in High Definition with both English language and Japanese with English subtitle. Contains all 26 episodes restored into beautiful HD, the director's cut versions of select episodes never released before in the UK (Japanese with English subs only),

I'd better check it out to find where the better value is now - thanks for the heads-up!

LATER:

The UK release is £14.40 cheaper than the US one (both early-bird special offers, at current exchange rates), has no shipping or duty to pay, and includes three soundtrack CDs (which the Funimation equivalent doesn't, according to their current description); oh, and a 144-page art book as opposed to a 40-page one. (Amazon UK simply hasn't caught up with either the pricing or the contents description)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Anime and Manga”