Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

MuscleRobo
Sachiel

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:27 pm

The Lego Batman trailer looked amazing! Seriously, this could be a favorite of mine if it keeps up! I normally avoid trailers but I was really curious what the tone would be like since my sister and I have been playing Lego dimensions and in it there are two batmans; one is a Lego Movie Batman who is more silly and the other just a Lego Batman who is more serious. So glad they're going the more silly route.

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:48 am

View Original PostMuscleRobo wrote:The Lego Batman trailer looked amazing! Seriously, this could be a favorite of mine if it keeps up! I normally avoid trailers but I was really curious what the tone would be like since my sister and I have been playing Lego dimensions and in it there are two batmans; one is a Lego Movie Batman who is more silly and the other just a Lego Batman who is more serious. So glad they're going the more silly route.

I thought the trailer was ok.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Just got out of a screening of Batman: The Killing Joke. Loved it, although it was far from perfect. The first third focused a little too much on Barbara Gordon, and seemed like a story entirely separate from the original graphic novel. Mark Hamill was perfect though, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the Joker. I feel as though the parallelisms between him and Batman weren't emphasized enough though, especially considering the "one bad day" theme. The final lines of the movie were both chilling and humorous.

Overall, it was a good adaptation. However, since the release of other Batman material that has since improved upon some of the themes TKJ has become famous for, this adaptation seems perhaps a little late. Going to need to wait for the film to sink in some more before I can really criticize it for this point.

Anybody else see it yet?
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:23 pm

The Rocketeer (1991) is getting a sequel with a black female taking over the persona.
I was gonna say that her in the context is going to be a hard sell as its only 6 years after the first. But this is interesting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessie_Coleman
Who knows maybe they will get Joe Johnston back to direct.

I'm still really really hoping we get a Shadow movie/series with Adrien Brody.

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:48 pm

The Rocketeer (1991) is getting a sequel with a black female taking over the persona.

A black female superhero, in a movie set in the 1940's. One of the most racist eras in American history. I see no potential for controversy whatsoever. :|

Anyways, I'm going to try to go see Suicide Squad tomorrow. So for now I just want to put my thoughts here. With Suicide Squad getting critically SLAMMED, the one two punch of BVS and this movie the DCEU may be unsalavagable . . .

I'm just thinking about giving up on Superhero movies in general.

Marvel is clearly content to keep producing kiddy fare in their movies without really discussing anything deeper, and DC can't get their movies critically well received no matter how hard they try. Marvel has a Monopoly on quality and profits that DC can't bust in on no matter how hard they try. Fan goodwill towards Marvel is at an all time high, Fan goodwill towards DC is at an all time low. . .and I was browsing some other forums that were talking about the movie, and it's just depressing. Marvel fans rubbing their heroes success in DC fans faces. DC fans getting defensive and angry. If this is the kind of audience these kinds of movies are made for, I want no part of them.

and the Trailer for Justice league looks like my biggest fear for the DCEU is coming true. Rather than stay committed to the tone they set up before, they're basically saying 'fuck it, it works for Marvel' and are just going to try and imitate their style. Which will no doubt be the Final Nail in the coffin for the DCEU when the mood whiplash pisses the audience off.

Which is a shame, because despite it's flaws there are things I do like about this hyper-dark DC. I like Cavill as Superman and Affleck as Bats. I'm interested in Momoa as Aquaman. and I think Snyder is a decent director, for all his faults and fanboying over Frank Miller he isn't Satan incarnate like the internet seems to think he is.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:13 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Marvel is clearly content to keep producing kiddy fare in their movies without really discussing anything deeper, and DC can't get their movies critically well received no matter how hard they try.

The most unbiased posts, truly.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:37 pm

I had a rough week alright. . . I'm just trying to get my emotions out there. . .
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:09 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:A black female superhero, in a movie set in the 1940's. One of the most racist eras in American history. I see no potential for controversy whatsoever. :|

If anything, that's the point. It's not the 1940s now; it's the 2010s. If this movie is made, and the racism of that era is not addressed by the film it'll be a lost opportunity. Sometimes addressing controversy is necessary, especially since racial inequality is currently a hot issue in America.

Marvel is clearly content to keep producing kiddy fare in their movies without really discussing anything deeper, and DC can't get their movies critically well received no matter how hard they try.

Marvel has plenty of content not solely aimed at kids, and plenty of content that is "deep". Winter Solider is an excellent example of a Marvel film that has a lot going on for the adults to pay attention to. That, and there's the Netflix series, such as Daredevil and Jessica Jones which are both downright gritty; Jessica Jones in particular has a lot of commentary regarding domestic abuse and rape (which is clearly not intended for kids).

Marvel fans rubbing their heroes success in DC fans faces. DC fans getting defensive and angry. If this is the kind of audience these kinds of movies are made for, I want no part of them.

Here's an idea: don't participate with them. The movies are for everybody, not just the loud and vocal nerds that rage at each other. Watch the movies on your own, and form your own opinions. The Internet is host to world's equivalent of the lowest common denominator, most of whom aren't even worth acknowledging (which is why I avoid Youtube comments, Reddit, any site with "-chan" in it, etc). I wouldn't stop being an Eva fan just because the majority of the Eva fandom turned sour. I'd just go enjoy Eva somewhere else, alone even. Try it sometime. It's awesome.

EDIT: one last thing: while critics and fanboys may be tearing these movies apart, such as BVS and Suicide Squad, the average viewer doesn't think twice about it. People I know IRL that go and see these movies enjoy them, and are blissfully ignorant of the abundance of flaws each film has. They don't understand when I tear apart Star Trek: Into Darkness for having a retarded plot; they just care about watching a slick, shiny, baddass-looking movie. These are also the same people that don't understand the praise I give Star Wars: The Force Awakens for intentionally paralleling A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Point is, most people aren't film people and most people don't care. What you see on the Internet is a loud and vocal minority.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:14 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Marvel is clearly content to keep producing kiddy fare in their movies without really discussing anything deeper, and DC can't get their movies critically well received no matter how hard they try.

DC really isn't interested in discussing anything anymore deeper than the Marvel films either. It just likes it's superheroes with the lights turned down low and the body fluids draining. BvS actually had ample opportunity to really get in depth about the aspects of there being somewhat of an actualized god among the men of Metropolis, but instead it just turns into one scene where some dude spray-paints "False God" on Superman's statue before Batman gets mad at Superman for rivaling his body count in the MoS movie. Snyder's a great idea man and presents these ideas flawlessly in his trailers, but he can't hold a coherent discussion or weave a well-structured narrative in film to save his life.

I don't think it's DC's "dark atmosphere" that's keeping the critics away either. They loved Tim Burton's first Batman movie and Christopher Nolan's more grounded Batman trilogy. The Justice League trailer at ComiCon only proved that DC movies telling these things called "jokes" isn't helping the quality either. Justice League can tell all the "jokes" in the world and still be just as bad (if not worse) than they were before because they banked their whole DC Universe on a director who can't tell whether or not his cool visual style is in service of his story or distracting from his story.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:45 am

The French animated The Little Prince feature adaptation is available on Netflix in the US today. You'd have a much better time staying home & watching that movie than going out to see a theater to ingest whatever garbage Cinematic Universe comic book episode is playing.

In fact, aside from a few special cases once every few years it's always a better choice to see another movie instead of whatever comic book flick is in theaters.

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:52 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:If anything, that's the point. It's not the 1940s now; it's the 2010s. If this movie is made, and the racism of that era is not addressed by the film it'll be a lost opportunity. Sometimes addressing controversy is necessary, especially since racial inequality is currently a hot issue in America.

People DON'T Want to be challenged. Or confronted with race or political issues in their entertainment these days. . . I mean you saw the backlash with Ghostbusters. That thing tried to be a little political and it turned into a garbage fire of controversy.

Marvel has plenty of content not solely aimed at kids, and plenty of content that is "deep".

I said it before, the majority of the Marvel movies are rehashing the same plot. . . and there's ALWAYS an evil mastermind behind everything. Even in Civil War, what is supposed to be the most nuanced of the movies, had Zemo.

Say what you will about the Civil war comic, it had flaws sure. But one thing I can say for it is that it didn't chicken out of it's setup Iron Man genuinely disagreed with Cap over this one piece of legislation, and vice versa. It wasn't a plan by a Supervillain to get the heroes to off each other for revenge for his family.

That, and there's the Netflix series, such as Daredevil and Jessica Jones which are both downright gritty; Jessica Jones in particular has a lot of commentary regarding domestic abuse and rape (which is clearly not intended for kids)

I said specifically movies, Jessica Jones and Daredevil are fine as adult TV shows. . .

The thing is I WANT a dark cinematic Superhero universe, if only to contrast Marvel. But thanks to DC screwing the pooch, Marvel committing to light and cheery, and fans revolting time and time again. It looks like that's never going to happen.

I don't think it's DC's "dark atmosphere" that's keeping the critics away either.

Marvel got here first, and pretty much set the bar for what the expectations for a Superhero movie should be, that is at least in part influencing the flux of bad reviews. But that's just the superficial qualities, the first thing they point to when they say they don't like the movie. . . and since there is no nuance in Hollywood, that means the next movie has to be all jokes!

They loved Tim Burton's first Batman movie and Christopher Nolan's more grounded Batman trilogy.

Both of which were about BATMAN. The most marketable and versatile Superhero on the planet who isn't from Marvel. You can put Batman in a lighthearted goofy movie or a grim serious movie, and it will work.

You dare to put Superman in a grim violent movie, because he's not as versatile as a character, people lose their crap. People put expectations on Superman they don't put on Batman, and when Superman fails to meet those expectations, people riot.

and with the baggage of the last two movies dragging the character down, sans doing a whole reboot the character will likely NEVER meet those lofty expectations. Eventually, some studio is going to capitalize on this by using a Superman Expy to make the movie Superman fans want to see, and DC is going to get screwed over even more.

EDIT:
Midnights Edge talks about Suicide Squad, Batman V Superman, Critics and Fan Bias.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAy55BAFyUU

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:54 am

View Original PostRay wrote:People DON'T Want to be challenged. Or confronted with race or political issues in their entertainment these days. . . I mean you saw the backlash with Ghostbusters. That thing tried to be a little political and it turned into a garbage fire of controversy.

Spoken like a true pessimist. Race and gender politics are all over entertainment these days. Just because a few people don't like it, get bent out of shape over it, doesn't mean it's something that should be avoided either. Audiences should be challenged whether they like it or not sometimes; art should push society. Sure, it's the goal of a lot of movies to simply appeal to the lowest common denominator, but not all films do. Plenty of media tackles these sort of controversies much more gracefully than Ghostbusters. Look at Fury Road, for example (I'll refrain from mentioning Star Wars (even though I just did (nyuknyuknyuk))).

I said it before, the majority of the Marvel movies are rehashing the same plot. . . and there's ALWAYS an evil mastermind behind everything. Even in Civil War, what is supposed to be the most nuanced of the movies, had Zemo.

What's wrong with having an evil mastermind? These are comic book movies for science-sake. The only time I felt a plot was rehashed was the first Iron Man with Antman, but Antman did it so well that I can forgive it.

Also, say what you want about Zemo, he was great in Civil War. His masterplan wasn't extravagant or based around taking over the world; he simply wanted revenge, on a very personal level. He got what he wanted.

The thing is I WANT a dark cinematic Superhero universe, if only to contrast Marvel. But thanks to DC screwing the pooch, Marvel committing to light and cheery, and fans revolting time and time again. It looks like that's never going to happen.

You want a dark, gritty Superman, with a dark, gritty Flash, and a dark, gritty Wonder Woman? WHY??? Go ahead and continue to want such a thing, but the way these films are going to be successful is by capturing the essence of the original characters, tone and color palette included. Dark and gritty is great with Batman, but the thing that Marvel understands that DC apparently doesn't is that there is a time and place for dark and gritty. You need characters that are suited for such settings. If you want an extensive cinematic superhero universe that's dark, you'll probably need to create some new IPs or find existing ones that already lend themselves to it, OR budget yourself for a much smaller cinematic experience targeted at a much smaller audience.
- Sachi

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:24 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:You want a dark, gritty Superman, with a dark, gritty Flash, and a dark, gritty Wonder Woman? WHY???

We're on a Forum for a franchise that talks about mental illness and Global Genocide using Giant Robot and Sentai tropes. Why do you think? I'm just one of those guys who is drawn to those kinds of stories.

Keep in mind all these character have had dark stories. Superman had a story where he got frozen in Magma and went insane (Camelot Falls), Flash had an entire story where he went back in time to save his mother and ended up ruining more lives than he saved (Flashpoint), Wonder Woman has her roots in Greek myth, which is chock full rape and mutilation.

Y'see for me, I mostly read comics and watch movies to be challenged, or shocked, or showcased a certain worldview by a story. I don't really like pure consequence free escapism anymore, I see it as dishonest, and it seems like the writers of those kinds of stories are talking down to people like me. But lately it seems that's all that both Marvel and DC are putting out is pure escapism, without talking about big issues. For example you'll never see Superman or Captain America take on ISIS or North Korea because that would offend people.

Setting aside politics, Aside from Batman there aren't really any stories in mainstream cape books that ask questions, like 'how would a man with godlike power be psychologically?" When I read Watchmen, or Irredeemable, or Invincible, or X-Men. I think 'yeah, that is how a guy given godlike powers would behave'. I read Superman comic, I think 'You can crack the earth in two like an egg. Can you at least TRY to act like it bothers you?'

Then there's the people in Superhero comics, acting like the people in our world treating this alien from another world like one of their own. If Superman really did exist in a world closer to reality, like the DCEU is clearly trying to be. Even if he was a good person and tried to be kind and approachable, we wouldn't see him as a symbol of hope. We'd see him as a necessary evil/deterrent at best (to protect us from another potential alien invasion), or as an existential threat to all of humanity at worst. An ordinary person would be terrified of a man that can fly, smash mountains and shoot lasers from his eyes.

Say what you will about Man Of Steel and BVS, for a moment it looked like I was going to get something that examined questions and themes like that in a big blockbuster. . . then came the critics and avalanche of angry fanboys.

I look to have my expectations subverted, not catered to. I made that mistake before with Eva. I might not be happy at first when a story subverts my expectations, but after I've had some time to think about it I'm personally glad it did. If for nothing else it at least gave me something to think about aside from the typical 'good guy vs bad guy' stories we always get these days.Sometimes the good guys don't win in our world, sometimes our heroes aren't idealistic paragons of virtue. Because human beings are inherently flawed, we mess up, and that makes for compelling characters and stories.

But as Deborah Snyder said 'people don't like seeing their heroes deconstructed'.

Go ahead and continue to want such a thing, but the way these films are going to be successful is by capturing the essence of the original characters, tone and color palette included.

There's a movie where Batman is LEGO! Brightly colored LEGO! That doesn't exactly 'capture the essence of the character' at all, yet that movie is probably going to break the billion dollar mark and get critically applauded, while other DC movies that do the opposite with get sodomized by critics.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:11 am

^I'm sorry to say, but you simply aren't going to find what you're looking for in mainstream film. There is the occasional exception, but the stories you're looking for don't appeal to a large enough audience to justify becoming these huge blockbusters. The stories you're looking for work better in comic book or novel form, wherein their audience is much more niche, and the production and budget is minimal. Blockbuster production is a gigantic machine, with too many moving parts, too many lives and too much money involved to fail, and they need to do everything in their power to appeal to the widest audience possible just so that they can earn their money back. This isn't a fault of the film industry; it's simply business. Any film that attempts to do the things you want will have a minimal budget, which will restrain the quality. Goodbye amazing effects, interesting shots, and exotic locations, and everything else that makes superhero movies good.

View Original PostRay wrote:Say what you will about Man Of Steel and BVS, for a moment it looked like I was going to get something that examined questions and themes like that in a big blockbuster. . . then came the critics and avalanche of angry fanboys.

This is some interesting phrasing. Are you saying that critics and angry fanboys are responsible for the film not asking the questions you wanted? How? Did they scare the film into not asking said questions?

There's a movie where Batman is LEGO! Brightly colored LEGO! That doesn't exactly 'capture the essence of the character' at all, yet that movie is probably going to break the billion dollar mark and get critically applauded, while other DC movies that do the opposite with get sodomized by critics.

Lego Batman gets Batman just fine. Plenty of versions of the character have been oriented for children, from the Adam West series, to the Schumacher films, to the animated series. I haven't seen it, but isn't Lego Batman somewhat a parody of classic Batman anyways?
- Sachi

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:35 am

^ Yes, Lego Batman is the parody we didn't deserve, but the one we need right now.

I'm all for the Justice League being in dark and gritty scenarios or facing dark and gritty villians, but it's still important to retain what it was that made audiences fall in love with the characters in the first place. I'd love to see Superman fight Doomsday, but Superman has been absent from movies since Quest for Peace, and that movie was still awful.

Gus Hanson
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Saw Suicide Squad on Thursday.

Made a more favorable impression on me than BvS ever did. The characters had their amusing quirks and they used them to full vitality, especially Deadshot and Harley. They didn't really show much of the abusive side of the Joker abusing her instead focusing more on the loving side of their relationship which is touching and all but we do need to see the flipside of that coin to further appreciate it. Enchantress has a considerable lack of screen time despite being the film's big bad which kind of ruins the concept of facing a villain. Overall, the humor and knowing when to be dark not for the sake of it gave the movie a fighting chance in a DC universe of uncertainty over whether the reboot button might once again be pulled before the big picture is fully realized...
"What kind of drugs do you take?!" - Lisa (The Room)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Suicide Squad tries way too hard to be cool and ends up looking kinda lame for it. It's basically DC's attempt at a Deadpool-like film, but a lot of the humor is either too far and few between or comes out feeling forced.

Also, past a certain point in the film, only two or three of the characters have any sort of real motivation or emotional arc that drives them to complete their mission, the rest of them can just bounce.

Also, whoever structured this movie in editing needs to be sat the fuck down. They have the title come up after only two of the main characters are introduced and then have the title and then introduce the rest of the characters. What would have been more appropriate would be a montage of intros of the WHOLE SS before throwing the title up. That editing decision just grinds my gears.

Also, the haphazard use of character establishing flashbacks throughout the film was an interesting, but ultimately problematic decision from an editorial standpoint. There's a reason why you try to frontload scenes like that: to make the audience connect and understand a character early so that they can invest in that character throughout the rest of the film.

The film is nowhere near as bad as some reviews are making it out to be. It's better than BvS, but that's not much of a compliment.

Smith is easily the best part of the film both because of his natural charisma and the fact that his is one of the very few characters that have a fully realized arc and purpose.

Someone needs to fire the Snyders from this franchise, both as producers and directors. Ayer is a decent director, but the overall vision and bleakness of the Snyderverse makes all of its films look like Marvel's emo wrist-cutting, Zoloft-popping cousin.

And no one wants to see the level of grittiness that's been displayed in the Snyderverse when the real world is increasingly getting more depressing.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Are you saying that critics and angry fanboys are responsible for the film not asking the questions you wanted? How?

I'm saying fan entitlement and movie played a part. We didn't get a happy bright Superman, fans complained. Even though Warner TRIED giving them a bright happy Superman with Superman Returns, and even though that movie was critically well received (76% on Rotten Tomatoes), they didn't even bother going to the theater. Well I did, and it was boring. I was not bored at Man Of Steel Or BVS.

But at this point nothing DC does will ever make the public side with them. The brand has been poisoned beyond repair. They've been trying to get a cinematic universe going for YEARS, and all they have is a track record of failure and critical slamming to show for it.

Did they scare the film into not asking said questions?

Fan backlash is just one of the reasons.

The film did ask big questions, but it didn't really answer them because of the uneasiness of the studio behind the scenes worried going that extra mile would alienate audiences. There is still so much riding on this DCEU that if they can't click with audiences NOW. Then Marvel and Fox are going to have a monopoly on the Genre forever (or at least until the comic book boom ends). But instead of going all the way and taking that last step, they try to have it both ways. Because they didn't go all the way, they're stuck in this awkward middle place where they aren't seen as their own thing separate from the comics like the X-Men movies, they aren't seen as honoring the comics like the Marvel Universe proper, they aren't even 'so stupid they're worth watching' like the Transformers movies. They're just stuck in this awkward middle place because of a variety of factors.

DC knows the audience doesn't want bright and cheery because Superman Returns underperformed. They know they don't want grim and gritty because BVS and Suicide Squad got critically slammed by fans and critics. They know (or used to know) they don't want to imitate Marvel's style because then they'll just be seen as the inferior diet-imitator and not as their own brand. They want their heroes to be 'symbols of hope', but they also want their world to be 'gritty and dark' where characters like that cannot realistically exist. So it all comes together into a bowl of tasteless oatmeal that nobody wants to eat.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:04 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Which is a shame, because despite it's flaws there are things I do like about this hyper-dark DC. I like Cavill as Superman and Affleck as Bats. I'm interested in Momoa as Aquaman. and I think Snyder is a decent director, for all his faults and fanboying over Frank Miller he isn't Satan incarnate like the internet seems to think he is.

I'm here for you brother!

View Original PostSachi wrote:They don't understand when I tear apart Star Trek: Into Darkness for having a retarded plot; they just care about watching a slick, shiny, baddass-looking movie.

Or they are people who genuinely looked for, could not find and so firmly disagree that said flaws are present.
Like besides the magic death curing blood, there is nothing wrong with the plot of Into Darkness in my book.
And having 911/Bush parallels does not make it bad.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:before Batman gets mad at Superman for rivaling his body count in the MoS movie.

He got mad because Superman has effected more positive change in the world in the 2 years since his arrival then Bruce has in 20.

View Original PostRay wrote:You dare to put Superman in a grim violent movie, because he's not as versatile as a character

Oh he absolutely is as versatile a character, its not that he won't work in a dark environment/portrayal, its that most of his fans sadly don't want him too. They want the same thing repeated over and over.

View Original PostSachi wrote:1.) You want a dark, gritty Superman, with a dark, gritty Flash, and a dark, gritty Wonder Woman? WHY???
2.) but the way these films are going to be successful is by capturing the essence of the original characters

1.) Indifferent to the Flash's tone, but Wonder Woman, absolutely & Superman, somewhat, thing people aren't getting, we are not necessarily asking for THEM to be dark & gritty, we want the world around them to be such so that they contextually have something to improve, the world around Reeve's Superman didn't need him, it was a bright happy fantasy land. He was 90% redundant in those films.
2.) Nothing about the essence of the characters is lost by them being a light in the darkness rather then a flashlight on a bright sunny beach.

View Original PostRay wrote:When I read Watchmen, or Irredeemable, or Invincible, or X-Men. I think 'yeah, that is how a guy given godlike powers would behave'. I read Superman comic, I think 'You can crack the earth in two like an egg. Can you at least TRY to act like it bothers you?'

Eh... Irredeemable is way too extreme a example for me, early Supreme Power would be more my stance (before Hyperion encountered his future self)

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:And no one wants to see the level of grittiness that's been displayed in the Snyderverse when the real world is increasingly getting more depressing.

Yes some of us very much do, a modicum of balance could be added like in my BVS review I stated that I wish Clark got more happy scenes before the senate explosion, but the rest of the tone could remain the same.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Suicide Squad is only OK because it got massacred on the editing room floor:
http://imgur.com/gallery/jKiSm
I'm not the biggest fan of the DCMU but this movie had the potential to be at least good, instead it's meh.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Film and Video”