Ghostbusters Reboot

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:05 pm

FWIW (not much, I guess) my local paper gave it 6/10.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:07 pm

About last night:

As I mentioned earlier I went to an early screening of the movie and my overall impression... well that's just it the movie didn't really leave me with very much of an impression at all just your typical Bland cinematic experience. The jokes were a little bit more on the miss side of things but that mostly stems from the fact that I think that the actresses just didn't share very much chemistry together. Leslie Jones character still put me off a little bit despite the claims that she would be toned down when watching the movie in it's entirety. They may have gone a little overboard with the effects it probably could have helped if they had toned them down a tad.Did I laugh at some of the jokes? Sure but that alone could not save this movie. If you want my advice just buy the original Ghostbusters movie and it's sequel on Blu-ray and enjoy the classics.

Super tl;dr version: A bland cash grab that you will forget in a month that will probably be more remembered for stupid stuff like this: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ghost ... 201787579/
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfwwKk7sUgM

Doug and Rob Walker (Of Nostalgia Critic) give their two cents on the movie.

My favorite quote:

Turns out, our mom. Raging Misogynist!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Jokes made at the expense of social commentators? Well, drawing attention to that helped me save my time. Thx, Ray.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 pm

To be fair, they're pretty much equal opportunity offenders. They went out of their way to make fun of the MRA's who protested Fury Road in their comedy skit review of that.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 pm

The Walkers give decent reviews. Nostalgia Critic is fun, but it's mostly useful for ripping my childhood memories to shreds (Fern Gully seemed like an okay movie when I was six). I enjoy their videos, and I keep up with them on YouTube, but I don't think they offer much in the way of unique perspective on these things. Without having watched their review on Ghostbusters, I mostly imagine them saying "it's not nearly as bad as it seemed like it was going to be, buuuuuttt, it's also not amazing". Basically, they'll be right in the middle of the road, like they usually are.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:29 am

View Original PostRay wrote:To be fair, they're pretty much equal opportunity offenders. They went out of their way to make fun of the MRA's who protested Fury Road in their comedy skit review of that.

...who would protest Fury Road?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:43 am

A small group of very vocal guys who thought that Fury Road was trying to force a feminist message down people's throats.

They were also pissed that Max was not the main protagonist in favor of a woman, apparently not having seen the previous Mad Max movies....

Seriously not making this up.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:01 am

They sound like silly people.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:08 am

View Original PostRay wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfwwKk7sUgM

Doug and Rob Walker (Of Nostalgia Critic) give their two cents on the movie.

And that was actually a useful review. Sounds like we need an edit that strips out all the stupid callbacks to the first film, because apart from that it sounds like there's an okay movie there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:02 pm

I didn't get to an early show, too tired. Friend said it was great so I'm going to go see it tomorrow.
the prophecy is true

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:14 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Jokes made at the expense of social commentators? Well, drawing attention to that helped me save my time. Thx, Ray.

You don't even know the context of the joke.

Their mom thought the movie was garbage and an insult to the original.

View Original PostRay wrote:To be fair, they're pretty much equal opportunity offenders. They went out of their way to make fun of the MRA's who protested Fury Road in their comedy skit review of that.

Those were MRAs? I thought Return of Kings was behind it.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:22 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Those were MRAs? I thought Return of Kings was behind it.

Return of Kings is an MRA website.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:31 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:You don't even know the context of the joke.

I assumed, correctly, that it amounted to what you just said. Suffice it to say that someone actually seeing the film and not liking it is a LOT different from what happened online starting 1+ years ago as soon as the female cast was announced. Ray did not do much to encourage me to click on the link by only quoting something that suggests the Walkers are unable to make such a simple distinction.

Those were MRAs? I thought Return of Kings was behind it.

Relevant.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:17 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Wonder what the reaction would be if the Ghostbusters reboot were an anime starring a bunch of googoo-eyed lolis instead of actual '3DPD' women.
How about a bunch of 3D Japanese highschool girls instead?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:56 pm

I liked the movie. I would put it roughly equal with the classic version. It took the basic premise and took its iwn direction with it.

I didn't see an anti-male subtext at all. If Chris Hemsworth's character sparks a really strong negative reaction from you, you need to examine why that is.

If this movie was about hating men, I'd tell you. For Chuckman sees the hidden truth of things.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:36 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:How about a bunch of 3D Japanese highschool girls instead?

I thought the one in the long hair was also in Hideki Anno's Love & Pop, but they aren't actually the same actress.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:19 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Relevant.

Ugh. This migt not be so frustrating for me to read if I hadn't just been lectured by another forum member on why Christina Hoff Sommers isn't a "real feminist," even though she supports gender equality. It's like words and labels don't actually mean anything. They say they're not MRAs, but they actually aren't, because people say they aren't. She says she's a feminist, but she's actually not, because people say she isn't.

I guess "real" MRAs are going to have to invent a new term for themselves, and the euphemism treadmill will spin onwards.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I liked the movie. I would put it roughly equal with the classic version. It took the basic premise and took its iwn direction with it.

I didn't see an anti-male subtext at all. If Chris Hemsworth's character sparks a really strong negative reaction from you, you need to examine why that is.

If this movie was about hating men, I'd tell you. For Chuckman sees the hidden truth of things.

Wait, people actually think the movie is anti-male? The marketing and fanbase, sure, but the movie? It was literally directed by a man.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:35 pm

TD: I don't necessarily agree with all the WHTM's conclusions; mostly reposted it because I hadn't even been aware those groups considered themselves different, but were getting lumped together by the media et al., until I read it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:31 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Ugh. This migt not be so frustrating for me to read if I hadn't just been lectured by another forum member on why Christina Hoff Sommers isn't a "real feminist," even though she supports gender equality. It's like words and labels don't actually mean anything. They say they're not MRAs, but they actually aren't, because people say they aren't. She says she's a feminist, but she's actually not, because people say she isn't.

I guess "real" MRAs are going to have to invent a new term for themselves, and the euphemism treadmill will spin onwards.

Wait, people actually think the movie is anti-male? The marketing and fanbase, sure, but the movie? It was literally directed by a man.

The food car guy described it as a movie about how all men are dumb and suck and the female heroes defeat the villain who is a stereotypical NEET mysogynist by shooting him in the dick.

That's a very strained interpretation of the movie.

Chris Hemsworths character is profoundly stupid, on a totally unrealistic level, but it's not an attack on men. It highlights how absurdly biased society is towards physical attractiveness. The heroines aren't magically immune to it- the protagonist of the film still wants to fuck him at the end.

Hell, there's a line about how giving him preference because he's hot even though he's too stupid to breathe is wrong.

I do think that there should be a directors cut coming. There are a few lines here and there that hint at a subplot or two that was left on the cutting room floor.

Still, this movie is a failure only in that it doesn't copy the original much at all. It's Ghostbusters in the same way the variations of Batman are still Batman.

I'm actually sad that they probably won't make a sequel to this. It was fun, and markedly better than Indeoendence Day: Reurgence which was so bland I can't even really remember it and whose only redeeming feature was gawking at Reese Witherspoon's pretty daughter.

I think that a lot of care and thought actually went into Ghostbusters 16 and Its a shame it's not being tested fairly, but that's because the marketing was very poorand doesn't reflect the movie at all.

Seriously, I went in to this movie prepared to leave, something I've never done before, and stayed until the very end of the credits.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”