Top 50 Anime Poll: Guess what's #1? XD

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:09 am

And where teh fcuk is Astro Boy?!?! And what Brik-kun and Jobhug said!!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:02 am

Geez...the most popular Anime in the world happens to be absent...Where the hell's my POKEMON! Laughing [/scarcasm]

finnally a list that isn't completely full of bullshit

Any list where "Digimon" is ranked higher than "Cowboy Bebop" should be automatically thrown out.

Well there is still some bullshit in there but I guess a list that doesnt have some bullshit is too much to ask for.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:21 pm

These polls are a dime a dozen now days. You can easily find one that ranks your favorite anime on top and dart boards the rest under it. Personally I put no stock in any of the lists I see anymore.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:15 pm

We should conduct a poll and create our own pointless list of greatest animes, you know, toss another coin into the bucket.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:22 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:We should conduct a poll and create our own pointless list of greatest animes, you know, toss another coin into the bucket.
I'd like to see someone go around and do a poll on every major (and minor) anime site, then gather some data from polls taken elsewhere (like Japan) and compile it into one big list. I tend to trust list that take in a huge sample of votes/lists. For instance, TheyShootPictures has a list of the 1000 greatest films and 100 greatest directors. Now, you can squabble over choices (and omissions) here and there, but on the whole it's a great list that compiled tons and tons of other lists to put theirs together.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:03 am

A composite/average of all those polls might be a good idea actually...

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:36 pm

It would most likely take more than one person to do this. There are a lot of polls out there in many different languages and if you are going to do it right you will have to do more than just Japan and the US. The first other country that comes to mind is South Korea. Anime is pretty big over there too.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:38 pm

Hunter21 wrote:It would most likely take more than one person to do this. There are a lot of polls out there in many different languages and if you are going to do it right you will have to do more than just Japan and the US. The first other country that comes to mind is South Korea. Anime is pretty big over there too.

Also, you'd need the actual poll data, and not the ranked list.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:16 pm

Ornette wrote:
Hunter21 wrote:It would most likely take more than one person to do this. There are a lot of polls out there in many different languages and if you are going to do it right you will have to do more than just Japan and the US. The first other country that comes to mind is South Korea. Anime is pretty big over there too.

Also, you'd need the actual poll data, and not the ranked list.

Those are the main "otaku" nations though. If we ever make a poll we should just stick to American websites...and only the biggest ones. Though all of them and make sure the poll is taken seriously...somewhat anyway
I won.

Knoxer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Knoxer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:12 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:I am however a bit surprised by how low Grave of the Fireflies is on the list.

Finally someone else who has seen that awesome movie :D I thought I was the only one :cry:

But, I wouldn't say #1 maybe like 2 or 3, but polls nowadays are nothing. Anyone can make a poll that says what is the best anime. It just so happens eva got first on that one.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:31 am

Polls exist to create arguments. Like that AFI Top 100 movies. Do I really think CITIZEN KANE (As great a movie it is) is really the number one American made film of all time?

Nope. But that's me.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:00 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Like that AFI Top 100 movies. Do I really think CITIZEN KANE (As great a movie it is) is really the number one American made film of all time?

Nope. But that's me.
If you judged based on any tangible criterion, then yeah, Citizen Kane will be the eternal lock for number one. What it did for film-making is like what the Beatles did for pop music. And I don't care a ton for either, but they're still both "the best" if we think of "best" as being innovative and influential.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:19 am

I disagree, The Godfather can give Citizen Kane a run for its money no matter what! In acting terms, even Orson Welles is eclipsed by Marlon Brando.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:40 am

UrsusArctos wrote:I disagree, The Godfather can give Citizen Kane a run for its money no matter what! In acting terms, even Orson Welles is eclipsed by Marlon Brando.
A run for its money perhaps, but when it comes down to it, Citizen Kane was just more influential in terms of how film-making developed as an art form. Even the Godfather isn't spared from borrowing from it. The Godfather's biggest influence was creeping its way into the American consciousness. There's probably not another movie that's as endlessly quotable as that one (only Casablanca comes close). The Godfather, in terms of American films, would probably get #2. Though if we're talking worldwide, there's still quite a few that I think would beat it out (The Seven Samurai leaps to mind).

Also, on Brando VS. Welles: Welles' greatest talent was as a director, but he gave a superb performance in Kane. Portraying a character that ages from 20 to 60 something isn't easy, and he pulled it off quite effectively. As brilliant as Brando is, and as iconic as the Godfather is, I still think he was better in other films (Streetcar, Waterfront). Welles was never better than in Citizen Kane.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 am

Ah, the Seven Samurai. *Hums samurai theme*

Of course, the directing part of Oscar Welles is another thing entirely. After all, how many men can make a nation believe that they are subject to a martian invasion?

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Yes, well deserved by Eva! The series might be ten years ago, but the merchandising is pretty much non-stop in Japan - so I'm sure that had something to do with keeping the series in the minds of Japanese. And the fact that Eva is both immensely entertaining, immeasurably deep and complex and artistically accomplished probably has something to do with it too!

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I'm always kinda curious about the difference in taste between Japan and America when it comes to anime/animation. I can almost guarantee that if we took this poll in America, NGE wouldn't be anywhere near #1. I can also guarantee that Cowboy Bebop would either be #1, or VERY close to it (Akira as well).

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think I remember some big anime site had a similiar poll and Eva topped it (vague, I know, but I honestly can't remember what the site was!). Also, on AnimeUKNews.net, Evangelion is always within the top 3. The Holy Trinity of anime in the West (which seems to be Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion) seem to rotate the number 1 position between themselves on most polls over here, I think.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”