[TV] A Game of Thrones

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Re: [TV] A Game of Thrones

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:39 pm

SPOILER: Show
A political marriage between Jon Snow and Daenerys would solve a lot of problems for both of them, and the Lords of the North would probably even be accepting of it; even though it would mean a reunion with the Seven Kingdoms, it would place the North in a much more prominent position than before.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:42 pm

I really hope that doesn't happen considering . . .

Jon is biologically Danys Nephew. Which would set us up for a really tragic ending when the truth comes out.

I'm sick and tired of all the incest!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:45 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I really hope that doesn't happen considering . . .

Jon is biologically Danys Nephew. Which would set us up for a really tragic ending when the truth comes out.

I'm sick and tired of all the incest!

They're royals. That's not tragedy, that's business as usual.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:50 pm

That would not be the worst marriage a Targaryen has ever made, considering that they have had generations of brother /sister fuckers. Frankly speaking, that kind of marriage is fairly tame by political marriage standards.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:12 pm

Oh, on another note:

MAAAAAARGAERY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I have some mild regrets from last night's episode.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:20 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Oh, on another note:

MAAAAAARGAERY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

She did seem like a decent sort.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:29 pm

She was my Thorny Angel. Life is not worth living now. Oh, yeah, and Tommen died.

Oh, Reichu:

They did a really good job of making me admire and loathe Cersei at the same time. That being said, my first thought wasn't that zombie Clegane was going to rape Septa Unpleasanta to death. Clegane was known for such a wide range of depravity, I was actually unable to come up with any idea what he was going to do to her.

Remember that Cersei is not a feminist though; she's an elitist. Her desire to prevent Margaery's Penance walk was less to do with how awful it was for her, and more to do with the fact that it was supporting the power of the monarchy and aiding the High Sparrow. She is the kind of person who is completely content with smal folk being raped and tortured, because that's how the world is supposed to work as far as she is concerned.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Bagheera: You're shown interest in the show for a while now, despite some misgivings. Time to go ahead and watch it, mayhaps? :tongue:

Gob Hobblin:

I was never under the illusion that Cersei was a feminist. Maybe proto-feminist, since she's at least acknowledged that a lot of the social gender conventions are completely arbitrary. She's at least aware enough that intentionally feeding back into the misogyny of the system has an element of irony to it.

Cersei's echo of "shame, shame!" doesn't make much sense unless something shameful is happening to Unella. Being a nun and all, getting raped repeatedly would qualify rather highly. Cersei's own "shaming" had a strong sexual component to it, as well. Plus, I feel that Gregor's reputation precedes him just a bit...

I'm going to miss Marge, too. And her dad and brother. Loras getting offed immediately after successfully suffering his trial is so ... tragic. Everything about it was so sad. I don't think it's fully sunken in yet. So much death happened so quickly all over this episode, my brain wasn't able to really process it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 pm

That's a good point: stating the word shame over and over again does imply that there is something shameful going on. By that same token, however, one could also make the case that Cersei was saying it just to mock the power switch between her and Unella. Less an implication of sexual violence, and more reminder of when their positions were different.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:09 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:
That's a good point: stating the word shame over and over again does imply that there is something shameful going on. By that same token, however, one could also make the case that Cersei was saying it just to mock the power switch between her and Unella. Less an implication of sexual violence, and more reminder of when their positions were different.

That was my take, yes, though I say that as someone who's only seen the finales of two seasons.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Yeah, that would....

There's like a s*** ton of rape in this show, so it's like a 90% possibility of what was happening in that scene.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:21 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:She did seem like a decent sort.

Decent people rarely live long in Westeros.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:19 pm

That whole sequence in the beginning was beautiful, I especially liked Tommen's suicide scene, that one really took me by surprise.

And what's with the disappointment over Cersei's anti-feminist practices? She's never been a role model, but if you look at the bigger picture GoT just may be the most feminist thing in pop culture right now. This season ended with women in power throughout most of Westeros. There's a queen in the capital, another queen coming to conquer the west after successfully conquering the east (aided by the aspiring queen of the Iron Islands) and two matriarchs who are now the rulers of their respective territories joining forces in the name of revenge. Males in power right now are few by comparison, Lord Baelish and Jon Snow are the only ones that come to mind, and in the case of the latter he shares his power with his "sister".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Gob:
The conclusion I came to seems to be a fairly common one. This doesn't make it what was intended, but I suppose if the details were that important Unella's fate wouldn't have been left almost completely to the imagination. It seems that pretty much anything would be in-character for Cersei anyway, as she's thoroughly demonstrated herself to be a horrible person beyond any possible redemption.

A.T. Fish: You make it sound as if expressing disappointment or revulsion or [insert other visceral reaction here] regarding Cersei's actions is the result of being completely oblivious to this season's feminist themes. Can't say I'm following the implied logic here...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Fantastic season overall. Significantly better than last year.

A couple thoughts on the finale:
-Ramin Djawadi fucking brought it this episode. Music was amazing throughout, but special props go to this gem that played throughout the sept sequence.

-Varys and Arya are fuckin’ teleporters.

Next season (and perhaps beyond) predictions:

-Dany and co. will encounter Euron and there will be a battle at sea, which will somehow result in a significant portion of her fleet getting wiped out (and Theon and/or Yara getting killed) and her not being able to make the trek to Westeros unless she AGAIN partners with another army. Enter the Sand Snakes from Dorne and Lady Oleanna’s forces. Tyrion falls in love with Dany, cementing her status as the Taylor Swift of the GOT universe.

-Gendry WILL be a loose thread pickup next season. Perhaps that is where Melisandre will ride to. He needs plot.

-Arya will either go after Beric Dondarrion and the BWB next (reuniting her with the Hound) or Melisandre. If she is reunited with the Hound, she will not kill him because she already left him to die and that would be thematically redundant.

-Jamie and Cersei’s relationship is going to be strained after Cersei went all Mad King in the finale. Sex will be awkward, and Jamie will either go through the motions or just deny her entirely. Jamie will begin to nurse a crush for Brienne, and this will be paid off with them having to fight eachother at some point, as this was basically telegraphed by Brienne this season. It won’t be quit the Ygritte/Jon Snow moment, but still emotional.

-Sam will learn something important in Oldtown, perhaps Jon Snow’s true name/parentage and send him word, Otherwise, what thematic purpose is he going to serve there?

-Sansa/Littlefinger’s relationship will shift; her being the chessmaster and him being the pawn.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:A.T. Fish: You make it sound as if expressing disappointment or revulsion or [insert other visceral reaction here] regarding Cersei's actions is the result of being completely oblivious to this season's feminist themes. Can't say I'm following the implied logic here...

Well, your nitpick seemed to be fueled by anti-mysoginy, so I thought I'd bring up the various instances in which the series was refreshingly feminist to put things in perspective.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:28 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Decent people rarely live long in Westeros.

Did you notice the dragons?

Also, they've both died before. They got better.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:44 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Fantastic season overall. Significantly better than last year.

A couple thoughts on the finale:
-Varys and Arya are fuckin’ teleporters.

Yeah, that bugged me a little, but I suppose we can assume there was some time skipping involved. The books have issues with that at times as well, but you just gotta assume that scenes aren't necessarily in chronological order, but placed as best fits narrative pacing.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:21 pm

There are ships with the banners of Dorne and Highgarden in the final scene. Easy to miss, but explains why Varys is back in Essos.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Varys traveled normally but Littlefinger has achieved CHIM. That's why the whole Riverlands plot was condensed into a few episodes in the sixth season, he will the Riverlands out of existence for a while to travel more swiftly from the Vale to Winterfell in S5.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Film and Video”