Top 50 Anime Poll: Guess what's #1? XD

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Top 50 Anime Poll: Guess what's #1? XD

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:10 pm

.....Eva, of course! ^_^

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=2088

(Link found from this Sailormoon information/fansite: http://www.genvid.com/)

Talk amongst yourselves.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:15 pm

Most well deserved. I'm really surprised to see it though, in all honesty. I would think a more recent one would have won. I agree 100% though.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Lets see:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) (#2), with Anno working as an animator in the movie...

Wings of Honneamise (1987) (#36), with Anno working as animation director of the movie...

Gunbuster (1988) (#41), with Anno directing the series

Nadia (1990-1991) (#29), with Anno again directing

Evangelion (1995-1996) (#1), no surprises here...

Not a bad track record.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:54 pm

Hmm...

Japan Probe wrote:The poll was apparently one in which voters could choose from a list of anime,

According to the Japanese website that was linked, there were only 100 anime to choose from?

And there are 7 Miyazaki films (8 total for Ghibli), 6 in the top 20.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:38 pm

For the most part, I'm not surprised by the results. These polls often have a great deal of subjectiveness and ambiguity. Eva definitely deserves a place high up there, but number 1? Wow. That's unusual. I am however a bit surprised by how low Grave of the Fireflies is on the list.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm happy that Sailormoon ^_^ is on there, too, though its at #38. :(

Most well deserved indeed. I guess the reason's Eva is so popular to begin with is because of its psychological introspection/how it SEEMS like a typical giant robot show when its really about the characters?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:17 pm

I'm always kinda curious about the difference in taste between Japan and America when it comes to anime/animation. I can almost guarantee that if we took this poll in America, NGE wouldn't be anywhere near #1. I can also guarantee that Cowboy Bebop would either be #1, or VERY close to it (Akira as well).

I would love to see a poll of both countries (throw in some other countries as well) and then tally the total votes. I'm NOT surprised that NGE is #1 in a Japanese poll. It's kinda like Hello Kitty over there (in terms of popularity). I mean - just look at the uber giganto ridiculous amount of NGE products we see coming out over there. But it wasn't even a hit here. There's no doubt numerous reasons for that, but America seems to rather dislike anime-esque anime (if that makes any sense), and most of the ones that become really popular hear are closer to American animation.

I'm not knocking either's taste. I'm VERY happy NGE got #1. To me, no other anime can touch it - it's just on an entirely different level - but I'm just saying this poll is a tad biased.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:28 pm

I've seen 11 of those in their entirety.

WHY IN GOD'S NAME IS SUPER MILK CHAN NOT ON THAT LIST.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:37 pm

NAveryW wrote:
WHY IN GOD'S NAME IS SUPER MILK CHAN NOT ON THAT LIST.
There's a lot of great ones not there... No Lain, Elfen Lied, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, Trigun, etc. etc.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:56 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:There's a lot of great ones not there... No Lain, Elfen Lied, Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, Trigun, etc. etc.

Is there a list of the other 50 shows that were in the poll? Those could have simply not been ones people could vote on. And the write-ins don't seem to be accurate, since Bebop was one of the ones you could vote on AND it was written in...

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:57 pm

this shows that the 3I remained in our minds once we solidified, and we choose this wonderful historical docudrama as the first, subconsiously...

no im only kidding. heh

NGE is awesome! there is no other equal. ever. and cowboy bebop is definitely better than 44th place! what the hell! hehe.

Shinji would never have that kind of face. anything that comes close to that is when Misato is teasing his classmen with her boobies while she stirs in her lair, the kitchen of the forgotten insta-noodle.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:08 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I'm always kinda curious about the difference in taste between Japan and America when it comes to anime/animation. I can almost guarantee that if we took this poll in America, NGE wouldn't be anywhere near #1. I can also guarantee that Cowboy Bebop would either be #1, or VERY close to it (Akira as well).

More like Fullmetal Alchemist, or Naruto.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:52 pm

or that new anime...whatsit call'd...bleach or something. never gotten around to watch it. seems just like a hack n' slash thriller with a dash supernatural events/spirits/things.

is it really that good or is it bad? I don't really noe for shure
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:51 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I'm always kinda curious about the difference in taste between Japan and America when it comes to anime/animation. I can almost guarantee that if we took this poll in America, NGE wouldn't be anywhere near #1. I can also guarantee that Cowboy Bebop would either be #1, or VERY close to it (Akira as well).

Here's the top 10 write-in's from the same webpage...

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. The Twelve Kingdoms
4. Planetes
5. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
6. Rozen Maiden
7. AIR
8. ARIA
9. Eureka Seven
10. S-CRY-ed

Definitely a different list. Cowboy Bebop at number two (instead of 44, wtf?) makes a lot more sense. Although shows like Eureka Seven, Planetes, s-CRY-ed, Haruhi (although I love it) and Rozen Maiden are probably only there due to recent popularity.

Trigger wrote:More like Fullmetal Alchemist, or Naruto.

If you put the poll up on CartoonNetwork.com then you'd be right. If you put it elsewhere I don't think either would be number one. More than likely, though, Eva would still be in the top 10.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:14 am

FMA doesn't seem to be going away. It's #9 on that list and would definitely be high on an American list too. It seems to be the one anime that's bridged the Pacific. It would be interesting I think to take a very wide cross section regarding this and see which animes are universal and which are more local. My feeling is animes that are high on one list might be non-existent on another.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:19 am

BrikHaus wrote:Here's the top 10 write-in's from the same webpage...

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. The Twelve Kingdoms
4. Planetes
5. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
6. Rozen Maiden
7. AIR
8. ARIA
9. Eureka Seven
10. S-CRY-ed

Yeah, sounds like the /a/ crowd to me.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:59 am

Geez...the most popular Anime in the world happens to be absent...Where the hell's my POKEMON! :lol: [/scarcasm]

Seriously...In terms of popularity it must be at least within the top 10. Neon Genesis Evangelion will win a prize for episode amount to popularity ratio.

Darknemo2000
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Darknemo2000 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:26 am

TV Asahi has recently published a list of Japan’s top 100 favorite anime, which was created by an open poll on the station’s website. This covers 2006 year most popular animes.

Full list after the Jump.

1 Fullmetal Alchemist (TV)
2 Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)
3 Pani Poni Dash! (TV)
4 The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV)
5 Negima! (TV)
6 Gundam (TV)
7 Bleach (TV)
8 Prince of Tennis (TV)
9 Rozen Maiden (TV)
10 Strawberry Marshmallow (TV)
11 Shana (TV)
12 Dragonball (TV)
13 Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (TV)
14 Eureka 7 (TV)
15 Yu Yu Hakusho (TV)
16 Overman King Gainer (TV)
17 Naruto (TV)
18 Slam Dunk (TV)
19 Kyo Kara Maoh! (TV)
20 Inu Yasha (TV)
21 One Piece (TV)
22 Gintama (TV)
23 Detective Conan (TV)
24 Saiyuki (TV)
25 Saint Seiya (TV)
26 Rurouni Kenshin (TV)
27 The Law of Ueki (TV)
28 Hunter X Hunter (TV)
29 Fafner (TV)
30 Sailor Moon (TV)
31 Doraemon (TV)
32 Air (TV)
33 Sergeant Frog (TV)
34 Touch (TV)
35 City Hunter (TV)
36 Ranma 1/2 (TV)
37 Digimon (TV)
38 My-HiME (TV)
39 Lupin III (TV)
40 Cowboy Bebop (TV)
41 Blood+ (TV)
42 Mahoraba ~Heartful days~ (TV)
43 Pokemon (TV)
44 Cardcaptor Sakura (TV)
45 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
46 Major (TV)
47 Eyeshield 21 (TV)
48 Crayon Shin-chan (TV)
49 Galaxy Angel (TV)
50 Nintama Rantarou (TV)
51 s-CRY-ed (TV)
52 Tactics (TV)
53 Tsubasa Chronicle (TV)
54 Black Jack (TV)
55 The Twelve Kingdoms (TV)
56 Best Student Council (TV)
57 Honey and Clover (TV)
58 Zatch Bell (TV)
59 Sousei no Aquarion (TV)
60 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ (TV)
61 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (TV)
62 Bincho-tan (TV)
63 ARIA The ANIMATION (TV)
64 Ojamajo Doremi (TV)
65 Fushigiboshi no Futago Hime Gyu! (TV)
66 Futari wa Pretty Cure (TV)
67 Macross (TV)
68 Urusei Yatsura (TV)
69 GaoGaiGar: King of Braves (TV)
70 Fate/stay night (TV)
71 Ouran High School Host Club (TV)
72 Mushishi (TV)
73 Kamichu! (TV)
74 Heidi (TV)
75 Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (TV)
76 Azumanga Daioh (TV)
77 Play Ball (TV)
78 Gakuen Alice (TV)
79 Jigoku Shoujo (TV)
80 Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (TV)
81 Hikaru no Go (TV)
82 D.C. ~Da Capo~ (TV)
83 Planetes (TV)
84 Full Metal Panic! (TV)
85 Candy Candy (TV)
86 Chibi Maruko-chan (TV)
87 Sakura Wars (TV)
88 Space Battleship Yamato (TV)
89 Fist of the North Star (TV)
90 Onegai my Melody (TV)
91 Martian Successor Nadesico (TV)
92 Peacemaker (TV)
93 Black Cat (TV)
94 Fruits Basket (TV)
95 Brave Saga (TV)
96 Yu-Gi-Oh! (TV)
97 Maison Ikkoku (TV)
98 Samurai 7 (TV)
99 School Rumble (TV)
100 Patlabor (TV)

Waht do we see in comaprison of 2007 and 2006. That evangelion stays rather stabile hile FMA though still is popular can't really be parised for its staibility here, and its popularity should decrease as time goes.

Most of animes are usually more recent ones, that is why their popularity is so high. The fact that NGE can top them only proves how great NGE really is, considering how much time passed and it still stays as one of the most popular animes. And in 2007 it even became number one...

Jobhug
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jobhug » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:36 am

Hooray for the patlabor appreciation, although I'm surprised it beat out Cowboy Bebop.

Destinct lack of ergo proxy

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:23 am

Any list where "Digimon" is ranked higher than "Cowboy Bebop" should be automatically thrown out.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”