Evangelion 3+1, No 2016 Release?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Evangelion 3+1, No 2016 Release?

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:57 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote: Mind you, for all the bitching people make the final not being out or Khara not releasing news or images or trailers - things that all do create a sense of anticipation & should absolutely not be released to the public if the film in question is in no way ready

Remember when they released the summer 2011 Newtype cover with Asuka and the Spear of Cassius? People got really antsy after that because there was no new information for a couple months, and then again later with the NTV teaser short came out.

Godzilla Resurgence DOES look incredible and I really hope there's some kind of US release for it. And it's not like everyone was sitting around idle before that. We got three seasons of the Animator Expo!

Reichu wrote:I dunno. To be perfectly honest, I don't feel any frustration regarding Shin's delay whatsoever.

It doesn't bother me anymore, honestly, but I can sympathize with the people who do feel that way because I remember being the same way waiting for 3.0. You're right that the best way to deal with it is to try and put it out of your mind and not dwell on it.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:02 pm

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:I do understand the want to see it sooner rather than later though. That's one of the reasons I started writing Hand.Cannot.Erase, just so I could have fun filling in some blanks with headcanons while we wait. :P

Which is sort-of why I wrote my fic, too - though I guess that was originally more to diffuse the emotions generated by Q than because of the delay (which wasn't so apparent then). Perhaps I should write another...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:20 pm

And it's the reason why the other fan-fictions exists like Reticence which while probably not following the themes Anno will show in 4.0, is pretty good "What if?" conclusion.
Having some fan fiction in your head does help I'll admit.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:58 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Which is sort-of why I wrote my fic, too - though I guess that was originally more to diffuse the emotions generated by Q than because of the delay (which wasn't so apparent then). Perhaps I should write another...

You should go for it, getting back into writing fic for the past year has been really rewarding for me. Was a good way to relax on my lunch breaks and also when I got home after the long shifts.

I was actively avoiding doing anything in the Rebuild universe preferring to stick with the original, just because that's complete and there is still so much we don't know about Rebuild yet but after writing The Catalyst I had an idea for a short piece so settled down to write Hand.Cannot.Erase.

I actually need to settle down and read yours some time as well.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Jurrasic » Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 am

I'd really not expect anything in this year except -POSSIBLY- an official teaser for a 2017 release.

I'd dearly love to be wrong about that (in a shortened duration way, not a longer one!) but it's been proven that Khara is not beholden to any production schedule, and what was initially going to be a 3-4 year project of retelling Eva has ballooned out to 10 years with presumably no real backlash for the studio except from the curses from beyond the grave by fans who have died waiting for this retelling of their favourite animated story to be finished!
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 13, 2016 8:15 am

^ I like that. In a world where executives thought that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Batman v Superman was a good idea to rush because money, it's nice to see a franchise take its time and not depend on the next reboot to try and solve any of any problems rushing it might have caused to begin with.

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Like I'm getting impatient now just being almost 2 year into the fan-base. But I don't want to imagine like how long someone like Eva Monkey has been waiting for this entire series to be complete.

I can't speak for EvaMonkey, but for me personally the waiting process has become more of a moment of zen rather than it is an intense, ridiculously elongated wait. It'll get here when it gets here. In the meantime, Godzilla Resurgence will be the best Godzilla movie since both the 1954 film and the 1975 The Terror of Mechagodzilla.

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Are you seriously comparing Anno to Wagner?

Absolutely. The best way to find the differences and similarities in two artists is to compare them to one another.

And my point still stands, regardless of how much you guys worship everything Anno does.

Both Wagner and Anno are gods that need my worship? Why didn't you inform me of this sooner?! I could have been smote by the Valkyries and their AT Fields!

*prays before the Wagner and Anno shrines*

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Jurrasic » Fri May 13, 2016 9:47 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Why did you pick Eva Monkey, as opposed to any number of veterans (like, say, me...) who have not only ALSO been here the whole time, but have actually been participating in the Rebuild subforum's discussion? :p

I'm gonna guess he just went with the first name that stood out in his head as 'long timer', it surely wasn't personal.

Now i would have chosen you were I making his post, if it makes you feel any better. ^_^ Hell I haven't been active on this forum for over a year now and I still remember you and a few others as being tireless vets working on this place.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri May 13, 2016 10:37 pm

I already apologized to Reichu. But I explained that I was trying to bait him into this conversation. But personally I haven't seen in on the forum for a while.

A teaser of 3+1 might come once Shin Zilla is released, which is approaching and that movie will be here soon.

Still it's a little saying I have.
--When it was Summer 2014 we said it would come in Winter 2015, when Summer 2015 came around we said it would come in Winter 2016, and now that Summer 2016 is here we are saying it's coming in 2017.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Yaywalter » Sun May 15, 2016 2:20 am

A teaser accompanying the theatrical release of Godzilla seems like a reasonable possibility. It would arguably be the best outlet for Anno to tease 3+1, and it's far enough in the future for it to seem plausible that 3+1 would be in good enough shape from a production standpoint for them to be able to put together a teaser trailer.

Of course, possibility and probability aren't the same thing... it's also entirely possible Godzilla could come and go without so much as a whimper related to 3+1, so don't get all bent outta shape when that inevitably turns out to be the case. :lol:

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:I do understand the want to see it sooner rather than later though. That's one of the reasons I started writing Hand.Cannot.Erase, just so I could have fun filling in some blanks with headcanons while we wait. :P

Hey... a fellow Steven Wilson fan! ^_^

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun May 15, 2016 10:00 am

^Kharas gonna Khara. :tongue: We know they're working on it, so it's just a matter of time, really!

It would be a huge mistake financially, but from a fan pov, a Shin Eva/Shin Goji double feature under the Godzilla x Evangelion label would have been the coolest thing ever. Maybe they can release a limited edition two-pack when both movies are out on bluray. :lol:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun May 15, 2016 12:24 pm

At the very least we know it's more than an April fool joke now.

I just hope that Godzilla doesn't screw with the Eva Rebuild canon till after 3+1 is released, or they start releasing new Evazilla content before this one comes out. Afterwards I would be down for Evazilla content, it would be pretty awesome to see.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun May 15, 2016 2:41 pm

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:Hey... a fellow Steven Wilson fan! ^_^

Haha yup, huge fan of him and Porcupine Tree! The fic itself is actually influenced by that album and Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.

On topic though, I am hoping they release something soon but I won't be overly bothered if not. One thing I am wondering is when it does finally release is how long it'll take to make it to the west. It seems lately we've seen a much faster turnaround in this sort of thing. I suppose that's speculation for another topic though.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun May 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Everytime I come here, and I see the rebuild forum lit up. I hope against all hope that maybe, a sneak peek or a trailer has dropped.

and everytime my hope is crushed. Just like Shinji's in 3.33.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun May 15, 2016 3:37 pm

The movie will come when it comes. No need to act like your life depends on it
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun May 15, 2016 3:42 pm

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Haha yup, huge fan of him and Porcupine Tree! The fic itself is actually influenced by that album and Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.

On topic though, I am hoping they release something soon but I won't be overly bothered if not. One thing I am wondering is when it does finally release is how long it'll take to make it to the west. It seems lately we've seen a much faster turnaround in this sort of thing. I suppose that's speculation for another topic though.

It should be faster than 3.0 was at any rate. On a podcast, the Funi reps attributed that delay in part to changes to their distribution methods (as well as the redubs and Khara subs, of course). Their first theatrical screening took only a couple months.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun May 15, 2016 3:54 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:The movie will come when it comes. No need to act like your life depends on it

Yeah Ray, you seem to be investing and projecting a LOT on Shinji's fate in Evangelion. Maybe a bit too much. Don't get me wrong, I want Shinji to succeed as much as you do, but it's not like my life's priority.

And, nobody said that you had to depend on Rebuild to decide Shinji's fate. So what if Anno created Evangelion, you can still make Evangelion what you want it to be, that's why we have so many fanfictions. They're all viable stories in their own right. Anno may have created the idea, but we as well can bring these stories to life just as much as he does. It's like how there's so many authors of Batman. Bob Kane may have created Batman, but does that invalidate the various interpretations of Batman?

I don't think so. :) Maybe you need to take a break from Evangelion Ray. Try looking at more hopeful animes, like Toradora or something along those lines. Just because they're more "softer" than Eva doesn't make them less "realistic". Have we become so accustomed to the idea that "realism" is gritty and painful?

Joy and happiness are just as 'real' as that, so I think people think of Pain as "realistic" because it lingers a bit more, but joy and happiness is just as powerful.

Pain teaches us to fight for our lives, but joy reminds us why we fight in the first place. ^_^
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Sun May 15, 2016 4:31 pm

@Ray

I don't have any "happy" anime to recommend to you, but I can recommend VERY good Demon's Soul fanfic. It's dark, it's bleak and protagonists is flawed and often acts... unsightly. Actually he have a lot common element's with Shinji. But it doesn't feel forced or spiteful. When things get fucked up, it feels real and when the hopeful moments actually shine, it's so heartwarming that you can practically melt from joy.

If you want to check it out, I can link you. I won't spoil you, but I can tell you, that this fic actually feels more hopefull than Eva ever was. This is probably wrong thread for that, but if you really want to read a story, where there is a light in the darkness, I whole heartadly recommend it.
Last edited by Stillborn on Sun May 15, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun May 15, 2016 4:33 pm

Your approval fills me with the utmost shame.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun May 15, 2016 4:41 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:but if you really want to read a story, where there is a light in the darkness, I whole heartadly recommend it.

Never thought i'd see YOU of all people say that, but i wouldn't deem it unwelcome
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Sun May 15, 2016 5:02 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Never thought i'd see YOU of all people say that, but i wouldn't deem it unwelcome

That just means, you assumed you know how I think :P
I may be a bitter and cynic guy, but that doesn't mean I don't like hopefull stories. I just don't consider Evangelion hopeful.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”