Ghostbusters Reboot

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I'm not sure where the whole misogyny complaint came from. I haven't heard anyone specifically say "I hate this movie because chicks are in it instead of dudes." In fact, many people I've talked with wanted to see the movie do well, and were disappointed that the trailer wasn't funny.

YT comments, reddit, 4chan (duh) and most other big sites have a lot of "we don't want women/feminists ruining Ghostbusters, buu buu buu". It's there-- you just need to be exposed to it. (And I'm a touch surprised you haven't been.)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 05, 2016 9:24 am

Haven't really gotten into reddit yet, and YT comments and 4chan are known as cancer where I come from, so I just avoid those entirely. It doesn't surprise me that those places would spout opinions like that.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 pm

I'm probably going to go see this in the theater even so I'm not willing it to fail or anything.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 05, 2016 2:26 pm

In the real world the general consensus for Ghostbusters (2016) is - "Eh. The trailer didn't blow me away but I'm willing to go into the movie with an open mind." That mindset & the people excited for the film makes pretty much where 97% of the people who pay to see the film are coming from. That's the audience that will make or break the film financially.

In the online world, that remaining 3% of the audience is the vocal minority & they're the ones who are hating on the film for starring women. That's the same audience who as a group is "disliking" the trailer on Youtube so that becomes a story. That's the same audience who is saying the movie will flop hard. That 3$ is also the same audience that news organizations worldwide give far too much credence too simply because that small, hate-filled audience does little more than make noise on the internet to make themselves seem larger than they actually are.

In reality, I don't think many people care whether or not the film stars women. Just that the movie works. And a bad trailer is just a bad trailer. Marvel movies have survived them, dramas have survived them, Inside Out survived genuinely awful trailers, & Melissa McCarthy/Paul Feig's previous two films - The Heat & Spy - both survived absolutely cruddy trailers. If people start seeing or hearing the movie is good they'll go see it & not care.

The hate will be continued to be spread online. But, it will be spread online like how a similar group is spreading hate towards anyone who says "Batman V. Superman" was less than amazing.

Also, Ghostbusters (2016) is fighting the same stupid bullshit battle than every other mass-appeal non-romantic comedy of the past decade starring women has had to face. The "Do women want to see a movie starring women that isn't a cookie cutter romantic comedy?" question. Usually it's just a case of mansplaining - "Women can be lumped under one generalization so they won't go see X because of Y". In the end, the answer has almost always been yes, they'll see the film if it appeals to them as an individual.
Every year there are three or four weekends when box office analysts, studio heads, nerds & the world as a whole realize "Gasp! Women like all types of movies too!"

Seen a lot of people on here make presumptive calls that Ghostbusters (2016) is going to flop. All based off a silly 2 minute trailer. I genuinely believe Ghostbusters has a great chance of outperforming X-Men: Apocalypse, Warcraft, Independence Day: Resurgence, The BFG, & Star Trek Beyond. ALL of which are films with much Much MUCH higher production & marketing budgets.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri May 06, 2016 9:28 pm

But, it will be spread online like how a similar group is spreading hate towards anyone who says "Batman V. Superman" was less than amazing.

Wait someone is actually doing that? I think pretty much everyone I have interacted with on the internet including myself has said that movie was less then amazing.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat May 07, 2016 12:57 am

I work with some well-known film critics. A few of the more vocal ones - especially those who are female - have been routinely getting death threats from people who love Batman V. Superman & take any negative dialogue about the DC Cinematic Universe - which has been rushed into being a thing & could very well crumble since it lacks a single vision - as a personal affront.

It's bad enough to make me glad I never pursued a career as a film critic.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat May 07, 2016 12:08 pm

Less so mysogyny, moreso attacking the agenda of characters and their roles in a reboot. Men who genuinely hate women in so much that they would be sending out death threats aren't likely to make up any real sizable demographic. Reasons for the mass disliking of the trailer being moreso bandwagoning, dislike for reboots in general and stale stereotyping, of course some are offended by the idea of women taking their roles. I don't care personally about the film and I'll probably end up seeing it on some late night TV, but it is just a blatant cash grab on a safe franchise, WHO KNOWS it might be good, it's also great signalling for how progressive Sony is!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 07, 2016 1:40 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Less so mysogyny,

No, misogyny's pretty much it, as it'd otherwise be treated like any of the other lame reboots we've had to put up with in recent years. But this one's headlined by women, so, y'know, problems.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat May 07, 2016 2:46 pm

Nobody should be using the sexist card with this film, the females have already proven they are funny. The movie cries of desperation of a woman pandering to the lowest common denominator, those filthy Keyboard Warriors. It's shouting, "Hey! look at us! We can be as good as those 3 comedic geniuses of our time, we're cool too! Love us!"
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun May 08, 2016 6:00 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No, misogyny's pretty much it, as it'd otherwise be treated like any of the other lame reboots we've had to put up with in recent years. But this one's headlined by women, so, y'know, problems.

This is oversimplifying the issue.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun May 08, 2016 6:03 am

I'm sure there is plenty of dislike for reboots; but that doesn't explain why this trailer in particular has had such a disproportionate response. Simply denying a suggested reason for that is not very convincing unless you offer a worthwhile alternative.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 08, 2016 6:56 am

When almost everything that's being thrown at the trailer now was being levied at the announcement of the all-female main cast back in 2015, I think it's safe to say that nothing is being "oversimplified".

Protip: Read the comment sections.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ast-767610
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Dan- ... 69447.html
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... e-20150128

Not going to post everything Google coughs up. You can look for more examples if you like.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 08, 2016 9:12 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No, misogyny's pretty much it,

Not to negate your point or anything, but if the worst thing that's happening to this film because of misogyny is a bunch of YouTube dislikes and rude, spiteful comments, then nothing too terribly horrible is going to happen in the long run. As Gendo'sPapa said, the majority of the people in this country who aren't aware or part of the YouTube spite will probably watch this not knowing any of these dislike clicks happened. Everything else is simply "sticks and stones."

I mean, yeah, it's a kinda stupid that all this is happening, but I think it's also stupid to get too worked up about it. The movie's box-office gross will hardly be effected by this at all, and if it's truly a good movie then even those paying attention to the dislike clicks will forget it happened a month after release.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun May 08, 2016 10:31 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I'm sure there is plenty of dislike for reboots; but that doesn't explain why this trailer in particular has had such a disproportionate response. Simply denying a suggested reason for that is not very convincing unless you offer a worthwhile alternative.

Another factor I think is I have noticed ghostbusters seems to have a really passionate fanbase, moreso then say batman or spiderman or at least thts how it has appeared for me, so that may also be part of the issue here.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue May 17, 2016 1:21 pm

James Rolfe's thoughts on the movie and why he isn't going to go see it.

http://cinemassacre.com/2016/05/17/ghos ... -i-refuse/

Remember that there are people that can not like a movie for reasonable reasons. But of course someone is still going to assume he's a misogynist for this video anyways so whatever.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2016 4:54 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Remember that there are people that can not like a movie for reasonable reasons.

I mean, yeah, sure, there are plenty of movies I've decided I don't care for without ever actually watching them. But I'm not going to make an Internet video about it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 17, 2016 5:10 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I mean, yeah, sure, there are plenty of movies I've decided I don't care for without ever actually watching them. But I'm not going to make an Internet video about it.

Would you if you made your living making internet videos about such things?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2016 5:16 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Would you if you made your living making internet videos about such things?

This really gets to the bottom of things, doesn't it? Rolfe's video shouldn't be viewed as some kind of endorsement for the spurious pastime of parading a opinion about something one has not seen/read/heard/etc. It's him making a buck, and that's it. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue May 17, 2016 5:24 pm

If anyone's opinion should be discounted because they make money expressing it, then there won't be a lot of opinions left to consider worthwhile. And of course, all those free opinions can be said to be worth as much as you paid for them - so I guess we'll just be stuck with our own opinions and that's that.

:wink:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2016 5:40 pm

FriskyIan said, "Remember that there are people that can not like a movie for reasonable reasons." I'm not sure that Internet video grandstanding about a current overhyped controversy re: a product that hasn't been released yet can be said to best represent "not liking X for reasonable reasons".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Film and Video”