Ghostbusters Reboot

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:53 pm

^ That's your journey with the movie. Most of the hatred is spewed BECAUSE it stars women in a series that was originally led by men. The original article you posted even gets into the ongoing juvenile group-mentality of "Hey, we got over 500,000 dislikes! Let's get to a million, brah!" that has fueled that hatred of the film online.

Also, calling the movie out for being a reboot may be your personal reason for disliking it but that feels like a real weak stage to stand on at a time like this in cinema. Deadpool. Batman V. Superman. Captain America: Civil War (the Spider-man character). Those are the reboots we've been hit with so far this year. Very few people held stances against those films for taking things back to square one. AND any story to feature the original Ghostbusters in some fashion would have been a reboot as well, it would have existed only as a stopgap to pass the series from the geriatric team of Ghostbusters to the new, younger & hotter team of Ghostbusters. It would have also had to waste time on what has been going on with the past 30 years, how Harold Ramis' Egon died (yay for creating fictional deaths because your actor died), etc etc.

As for a Ghosbusters III? So what. It's dead. Projects die all the time. Dan Akyroyd isn't some great in-demand writer. Last script he wrote was "The Blues Brothers 2000" & since then he's spent his time on how Aliens visited us on 9/11/2001 but decided not to say hi because they saw the World Trade Center towers fall. And any allegiance to Ivan Reitman is also foolhardy because while he made some good movies a couple generations ago - Ghostbusters, Kindergarten Cop, Dave - his recent output of the past 20 years - Evolution, My Super Ex-Girlfriend, No Strings Attached, Draft Day - is more likely what his "vision" of a Ghostbusters III would be like.

FINALLY, troubled productions happen all the time. So what? It's the final product that matters. "Mad Max: Fury Road" had one of the most troubled, long-delayed productions of all time. Every "Transformers" movie meanwhile - aside from the rampant killing & massacring of extras - have speedily gone through production without any major issues.

"Ghostbusters 2016", like EVERY blockbuster of recent years that has pointedly made clear a female is the star - there's an online community that calls "Mad Max: Fury Road" a failed movie because Furiosa is the lead & not Max, "The Force Awakens" has a vocal community who dislike the film because the lead characters are a female & a black man, etc - is being attacked BECAUSE of the gender of the lead characters.

Meanwhile the new Turtles sequel, a reboot, gets closer to flooding cinema screens with 2 1/2 more hours of pure unadulterated garbage but meh, at least it doesn't star a bunch of GIRL Turtles.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:10 am

I personally thought that the U.S trailer was unfunny. The international trailer was slightly humorous. Honestly, I think we'll all exit the theaters thinking "So, the original Ghostbusters is still the best one. Nothing's really changed," and then completely forget the movie even existed within a couple of months.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:47 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:^Most of the hatred is spewed BECAUSE it stars women in a series that was originally led by men.
Being yet another example of strip-mining the audience's childhood only now with added affirmative action box-checking, did you mean?

Even with the best will in the world, the whole project can't help but start out looking like a purely cynical move on the part of the production team. And if people react that way, well, let me show you my surprised face.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:48 pm

It is possible to think the new Ghostbusters film looks terrible without being the sort of misogynistic character that some corners of the internet like to superimpose over people airing their grievances with the film. (Good lord, I sound cynical today.) The hate that some choose to direct towards the new film because the leads are women exists-- that's something I really can't deny, nor something I want to deny. It is, however, disingenuous for people to act as if people only hate how this new film looks because of the sex of the leads.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:54 pm

^ I agree. I'm imagining Bill Murray in any one of the roles in the U.S. trailer. Heck, I'm even imagining him in all of the roles in the trailer, and even a movie full of four Bill Murrays isn't working for me. It's just unfunny, no matter who I imagine in the role.

However, they could have picked only the bad scenes of the movie for that trailer. The movie itself could still be good, but this trailer just isn't working for me.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:56 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It is possible to think the new Ghostbusters film looks terrible without being the sort of misogynistic character that some corners of the internet like to superimpose over people airing their grievances with the film. (Good lord, I sound cynical today.) The hate that some choose to direct towards the new film because the leads are women exists-- that's something I really can't deny, nor something I want to deny. It is, however, disingenuous for people to act as if people only hate how this new film looks because of the sex of the leads.

It's a matter of scale. It's obvious the film would be hated because it's a reboot, as all films that are reboots are hated by fans of the originals. But the scale of the hate in this case goes way beyond that, and the reason is obvious.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:54 pm

In 2015 a Poltergeist remake was made. Poltergeist is a movie like Ghostbusters that has been a classic people have grown up with for over 30 years. It may not have created as deep a mark as the first Ghostbusters but it sure has left a powerful shadow in pop culture. That movie also had a weak trailer that left much to be desired & people were upset that it was being made. It's a subpar film lacking in vision. It also sidelined the mother & made the father played by Sam Rockwell the driving force of the film. The top rated official trailer on Youtube has over 4,337,000 views. And only 1,090 dislikes.

Ghostbusters had a weak trailer that left much to be desired & people are upset that it is being made. It's uncertain yet whether the film will be subpar & lacking in vision. Paul Feig has a good career so far having written & directed some the best episodes of The Office, Bridesmaids, The Heat & Spy so there's hope. Not a certainty, but hope. This film had the TEMERITY to make it be a team of WOMEN Ghosbusters. The top rated official trailer on Youtube has over 29,400,000 views. And over 573,404 dislikes.

Disliking a film is alright. But it kinda seems like the hatred that is being forced on Ghostbusters 2016 isn't on the film itself but on something deeper. And when I say "kinda seems" I mean blatantly obvious.
People can try & sugar coat this however they want- "I don't feel negative towards the film because of the women angle so I can just ignore that & all" - but the plain fact is the hatred for Ghostbusters 2016 is stemmed by hatred/fear of women. And like all hate campaigns it's petty, comes from a place of ignorance & gains strength by most people being apathetic.

I'll wait until I see the film in theaters to make my personal judgement on the film as a film. But I know a petty, ugly hatred when I see it & that's been the response online from a very small minority of Internet mouth breathers & I don't need to wait to make my judgement on that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 01, 2016 1:35 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:People can try & sugar coat this however they want- "I don't feel negative towards the film because of the women angle so I can just ignore that & all" - but the plain fact is the hatred for Ghostbusters 2016 is stemmed by hatred/fear of women.
I remember the time around 1980 when we could have Alien and Aliens, an original property with a strong female lead (and in the latter, also strong female characters in supporting roles), without any such controversy (though, to be fair, some film critics at the time seemed under the impression that Signourney Weaver was a very pretty young man).

Nowadays, with this (and Thunder Road, and Star Wars 7 and the upcoming 3.9) it seems the only way you can hope to get women in prominent active roles in a major adventure film is by riding on the coat-tails of a property previously established with male leads. At best that's a sad commentary on how things have gone backwards that the industry has to rely on such affirmative-action style casting, and, worse, a trend that can look like part of a continued emasculation of popular culture.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun May 01, 2016 9:37 am

(though, to be fair, some film critics at the time seemed under the impression that Signourney Weaver was a very pretty young man).

Wait what? Your saying professional critics actually made a mistake that dumb?

Anyway as for new ghostbusters, I dunno I don't really feel that strongly about it one way or another, I'll probably go see it when it comes out.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Looking at news feeds from over a year ago, people were bitching the moment the all-female main cast was announced. So of course these types are going to pounce on the trailers as soon as they appear, regardless of their content. The director has also made it clear that he doesn't have ears for misogynists. Good for him.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Nowadays, with this (and Thunder Road, and Star Wars 7 and the upcoming 3.9) it seems the only way you can hope to get women in prominent active roles in a major adventure film is by riding on the coat-tails of a property previously established with male leads. At best that's a sad commentary on how things have gone backwards that the industry has to rely on such affirmative-action style casting, and, worse, a trend that can look like part of a continued emasculation of popular culture.

Since all of the big properties in Hollywood these days are almost invariably adaptations / reboots / sequels / etc. of preexisting properties, many of which originated at a time when almost everything was cis white male-centric, the choices are to either (A) keep them that way, or (B) adjust the casts to be in step with the times. I would say that going with (B) is far more forward- than backward-thinking. Tradition for tradition's sake = cultural stagnation.

"Continued emasculation of popular culture" just sounds like the usual whining from those who are nostalgically pining for "good old days" that never existed and can't handle the notion that the universe doesn't revolve around them. If you're part of this entourage, Tines, more's the pity. IMHO, of course.

Wonder what the reaction would be if the Ghostbusters reboot were an anime starring a bunch of googoo-eyed lolis instead of actual '3DPD' women.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun May 01, 2016 3:16 pm

The Hunger Games franchise. Lucy. Kick Ass. Haywire. Edge of Tomorrow. 10 Cloverfield Lane. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation. Later entries in the Fast & the Furious series. The awful Underworld & Resident Evil movies. The aforementioned Spy. The Heat. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Jane Got A Gun. Those Divergent things. Gravity. You're Next. Hanna. Tomorrowland. Pacific Rim. Just a handful of adventure/action/science fiction films both major & minor - US only - off the top of my head that are not based on previously existing male starring movies from decades ago & features female action leads in prominent & active roles. Not all great movies. Some are actively terrible movies with problematic elements. BUT, all got made, distributed & weren't piggybacking on the success of a previous series with male leads & changed the protagonists gender because of "affirmative action".

Aside from Ripley when I think of heroines in the 80s all that comes to mind are the chaste virgins of slasher films. Innocent, flawless, untouched little girls who shunned drugs, rock+roll & ESPECIALLY sex. The good girl. Of course, anyone who acted on any carnal desire were punished by being brutally murdered - especially the women.

Holding up Ripley - a great character who has stood the test of the time but was & still is a rarity in popular fiction - as a sign of better times is gross. It's using the one case of going against the grain to mislead others & support your flawed statement. It's no different than a company of 500 employees saying "Hey, we don't discriminate against women/blacks/latinos/Asians/etc. We got one working in our IT department!"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Anyone here doesn't think that casting an all-female cast in an unfunny Ghostbusters movie isn't going to hurt anything, or be a step backwards for other all-female-lead reboots?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun May 01, 2016 4:16 pm

I don't think it should, but I don't know if it will. We might have to wait and see.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 01, 2016 4:17 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Anyone here doesn't think that casting an all-female cast in an unfunny Ghostbusters movie isn't going to hurt anything, or be a step backwards for other all-female-lead reboots?

Could wait for it to come out to decide whether the movie (vs. its trailer) is unfunny or not, you know...

And, yes, if the movie tanks (which could happen even if it's good, mind you), inevitably the Powers That Be will lay the blame on the cast having vulvae and tits and be terrified of ever doing it again. As if the complete failure of one shitty sausage fest comedy ever stopped Hollywood from greenlighting another shitty sausage fest comedy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 01, 2016 4:31 pm

@Gendo's Papa
I concede my disconnect from popular culture to be far greater than I had realised. I'm not sure I'd even heard of half of those titles before tonight.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Sony apparently wanted this to be a "spiritual replacement" for the All-Female Spider Man Spinoff Movie (that would've starred Black Cat, Spider-Woman, and several other B-list spider man supporting characters), its now on the back burner after the whole Sony/Marvel agreement.

Which is a crying shame, because Id have preferred to see that over this. think is gonna fail, and when it does, we probably won't see an all female Superhero/Geek movie for a long time to come, including the aforementioned all female spiderman spinoff movie.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 01, 2016 11:26 pm

^ I agree. I'd watch that one right now.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Could wait for it to come out to decide whether the movie (vs. its trailer) is unfunny or not, you know...

...which is what I'm doing. I said as much in my previous comments. I just wanted to ask this question in such a way where my thoughts of an all-female cast actually were, rather than people assuming I found the trailers unfunny because "no Y chromosome." Specifying trailers vs actual film kinda took a back seat to that. :uhh:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed May 04, 2016 11:41 pm

I don't want to judge the movie without seeing it but people shouldn't be mad it's an all female reboot, they should be mad that the brilliant character of Winston who is an embodiment of the everyman and a very interesting portrayal of a black man in an 80's movie, when genderflipped, becomes a brutally offensive stereotype of black female femininity as viewed through the lens of the suburban white woman, i.e. the loud and charmingly obnoxious sassy friend whose boorish nature can be overlooked for the social virtue associating with her provides.

They took an awesome black guy character and demolished him into a token black stereotype.

Going by the trailer, anyway. Maybe She-Winston is the same kind of grounded, down-to-earth everyman character the original was. You could probably cut some of his dialogue from the original to make him look like a comic relief character (he's actually the straight man)
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Thu May 05, 2016 1:49 am

^
Good Sir, I think that's because Leslie Jones is only able to play characters like that, or just has been type cast as that sort of person due to SNL, cause that's pretty much the only character she ever plays on there.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 05, 2016 7:48 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They took an awesome black guy character and demolished him into a token black stereotype.

When the trailer was first released, this was actually the prevailing complaint coming from most of the "dislikers." A lot of people just didn't like how the black character was treated. (A lot of them still don't. You'll find more opinion pieces on the internet about their dislike in this character's treatment more than anything else about the trailer thus far.)

I'm not sure where the whole misogyny complaint came from. I haven't heard anyone specifically say "I hate this movie because chicks are in it instead of dudes." In fact, many people I've talked with wanted to see the movie do well, and were disappointed that the trailer wasn't funny.

Return to “Film and Video”