News [NO POLITICS]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: News [NO POLITICS]

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:00 am

It took the loss of 17 lines of Javascript code to bring down a lot of NPM builds, after an indie dev faced off with a corporation bearing the same name as his lib.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/1941 ... npm-builds

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:38 am

What I found fascinating was reading the comments (and not just the first page of them). I knew that programming had changed since I left that world twenty years ago, but I didn't realise quite what a mess parts of it had evolved into.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:06 am

This is what happens when the whole client side of the internet now runs on a minimal dialect of Scheme that got kitbashed together in one hectic week in 1995 as part of the browser wars.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:39 am

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Man escapes death after crawling from car dangling on cliff edge, only to be hit by a passing bus

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 67416.html

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:32 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:38 am

Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:02 am

Never have I been happier to know that I have nothing to do with that game. Sounds like a hell of a mess.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Thats amazing. Wish i could see it in real life.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Fascinating! I never knew there was an MMO that actually let the players form cooperative empires and control territory. That's cool.
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:53 pm

At the largest levels the game sounds amazing, yes, but as I understand it on the individual scale EVE is basically Spreadsheets: The Game.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:47 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Fascinating! I never knew there was an MMO that actually let the players form cooperative empires and control territory. That's cool.

Something I wish every MMO did. If I remember right, one of the big pastimes for the larger alliances is to see how successfully they can raid highsec areas, which usually have a dreadnought or two lurking around. I've bought a book on Amazon that details all of the great wars in EVE's history. The fact that this book is even a thing is too awesome.

NemZ wrote:At the largest levels the game sounds amazing, yes, but as I understand it on the individual scale EVE is basically Spreadsheets: The Game.

Haha! Pretty much. Along with trying to figure out how your goddamn ship works, most of your time is spent in a shitty mining rig trying to farm minerals for ISK so you can get a less-shitty mining rig. Supercarriers, for instance, can take RL years to build and you can only operate them after you've spent RL months/years training your characters in very specific skill trees. Pretty neat once you get the hang of it, just way too time consuming.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:03 am

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: News [NO POLITICS] BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:04 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:At the largest levels the game sounds amazing, yes, but as I understand it on the individual scale EVE is basically Spreadsheets: The Game.

The joke among us EnB players was that EVE was a "mining simulator". Their first expansion, if I'm not mistaken, included a mining station operable by the player.

In the 4 weeks I played it, the stereotype certainly seemed to hold true. I mined, got a bigger ship, mined, hung out with a French guild, mined, was given a better ship by someone else, mined.... lost interest.

I never experienced "ganking" or even so much as a harsh word from somebody; I wondered if I lucked out, or if players were just less competitive then?

My interest peaked again a little when I heard about Dust 514; a 1st-person shooter that would exist simultaneously in the universe of EVE, where you could use your EVE ship to call in orbital bombardments--- but it seemed that it petered out.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:19 am

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:02 pm

"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:55 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-has-trialled-an-engine-that-would-take-us-to-Mars-in-10-weeks?platform=hootsuite
Get in losers, we're boldly going where no man has gone before.

Check the date. That created a stir last year, but nobody's published anything about it for months now. I wouldn't hold my breath.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:09 pm

You realize how long it takes to test something like this right.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”