Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Anno is writing and directing a Godzilla movie

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:20 pm

A bit of both. Anno like to borrow from documentary techniques, like the found footage in Ep 21' of NGE or his other live-action films like Shiki-Jitsu and Love & Pop.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:He should do Ultraman next. That would be a real dream come true for him.

I would love to see Anno direct a season of Ultraman or Super Sentai!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:05 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I would love to see Anno direct a season of Ultraman or Super Sentai!

I will laugh if he says "Man, I am so over Eva" and does exactly that. :devil:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:41 pm

You monster! :asuka_sad:

In all seriousness, I really hope Bandai Japan rolls out a new Movie Monsters series figure for this beast. I could see the tail proportions being a little janky since it's longer than normal, but I must have it.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:27 pm

---nevermind--
Last edited by soul.assassin on Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:55 am

How are people here seriously complaining about this visually? It looks fucking INCREDIBLE, the suit is amazing and the fact they are using miniatures mixed with cgi is a dream come true. God Warrior looked amazing and this is a step above! Some of ya'll mother fuckers don't have respect for quality tokusatsu.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:59 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:You monster! :asuka_sad:

:mwahaha:

In all seriousness, I really hope Bandai Japan rolls out a new Movie Monsters series figure for this beast. I could see the tail proportions being a little janky since it's longer than normal, but I must have it.

I don't even know how that would work, what with that ridiculous tail.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:32 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Does anyone else think that the film has a bit of an indie look to it?

By indie, you mean cheap look?

Well, personally i like it. I have seen worst, really.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:15 am

View Original PostDima wrote:By indie, you mean cheap look?

I mean an ambitious kind of cheap. Not unlike Monsters
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:44 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't even know how that would work, what with that ridiculous tail.

Well, the trailer shows the tail working, so.... It also helps keep the sense of scale from being lost in the wide shots. It has its perks, visually speaking.

Honestly, this is one of the more striking Godzilla designs we've seen so far. I'm glad it looks the way it does.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:09 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, the trailer shows the tail working, so.... It also helps keep the sense of scale from being lost in the wide shots. It has its perks, visually speaking.

Honestly, this is one of the more striking Godzilla designs we've seen so far. I'm glad it looks the way it does.

I hate it, but as I said I think that's the point; if it were just another Godzilla design it wouldn't be very distinctive, and Anno's all about getting the audience's attention and rustling jimmies and making us think, and I think this design is actually very good at doing that. So I . . . let's say I appreciate it and understand its purpose even if I don't personally care for it.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:34 pm

So what exactly would you care for, may i ask?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:33 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:So what exactly would you care for, may i ask?

Arms that aren't malformed and a shorter tail, obviously. But Anno's never been about pleasing fanboys so I'm fine with the design as it is.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Has anyone translated this yet?
I tried via google to no avail.
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:18 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't even know how that would work, what with that ridiculous tail.

They'd just adjust the poportions and possibly have the tail curled up in a u-shape. They've done it before with characters like SpaceGodzilla and Destroyah who have long tails/wings/etc. That's why I said it might look weird. Bandai Japan made a figure for Godzilla 14 and he has a peculiarly large head.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:06 pm

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:Has anyone translated this yet?

呉爾羅 = "Gojira" written using kanji rather than katakana.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:05 pm

35cm of love and boney tail

http://www.bpnavi.jp/kuji/item/1569
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:38 am

And a really sweet poster too!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:24 pm

I think I've put my finger on what really bugs me about Anno's Godzilla: he looks like he's in pain. I say it's the arms or the tail, but that's not it; I mean, T-rexes have tiny arms, and I still like 'em. But Anno's Godzilla's arms look not just small, but painfully deformed. His mouth looks like his gums are bleeding. The whole design is just . . . disturbing. It's like Godzilla's a leper who's falling apart, and that's painful to watch.

(again, probably the idea, and I'm fine with it in principle, it's just . . . well, mission accomplished, Anno!)

(and sorry if it seems like I'm complaining about the design, as that's not my intent. I'm mostly just ruminating about why I find it so disturbing. If anyone feels like I'm knocking 'em for liking it I apologize.)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Found this image on DA and GOOD LORD what on Earth happened to his tongue!?  SPOILER: Show

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”