Garbage that Gets your Goat in Gaming

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Don't know if this has been said yet, but anyone who plays an MMO would know.

When you are doing a raid or something like it, and your team fails and instead of trying to just restart people start flipping out with rage comments.

@Dount - So cheating? I don't know much about Pokemon.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:46 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:@Dount - So cheating? I don't know much about Pokemon.

You can use glitches to make an exact clone of a rare Pokémon, or skip out on breeding and make a perfect Pokémon using a cheating device. It's p bullshit.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:25 am

- People doing game reviews on Youtube where they A) sound bored out of their mind, B) do not articulate, and/or C) have horrible video editing (okay, this one also applies to other reviews). Also, excessively long reviews that go into every little detail, whether it's important or not.

- People who test games, write about it and how they think the game works, and then go completely BERSERK when you point out that things don't work exactly like that, or that they maybe should test a little bit more because what they say doesn't match your experience, or that part of the review contradicts another part, resorting to name calling, accusations of trolling, pointing out how infinitely superior they are to you (hypocrisy, much?), and other shit. That one made me seriously reconsider whether I should be part of that particular gaming community, making me think "I don't have to put up with this garbage". I haven't gone back yet.

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:59 am

I have always and will always hate games (mostly shooters) that monitor your health by gradually bloody-ing up the whole screen. Just give me a little health bar in the corner, thanks.

Also, HMs in Pokemon.
Set phasers to thrill.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:43 am

Recently finished (the story mode of) Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Before the final campaign mission I had all the combat abilities unlocked; maxed-out my HP, arrows and focus; had a decent set of runes buffing my weapons; and even branded practically every warlord and captain in the Uruk hierarchy...
I was really looking forward to the final boss battle, it was no doubt going to be a multi-staged endurance run, challenging every single one of my acquired skills and testing my mettle as a ranger of middle earth.

Of course- the final boss was a couple of button inputs following an on-screen prompt. “Beat” it first attempt. *sigh* I’m awesome.

tl;dr QTE boss battles suck.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:48 am

QTE is fine as a finisher or as a break mid-fight between 'rounds', but it should never be the entirety of the battle.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:02 pm

QTE is never fine. :shakehead:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:03 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:QTE is never fine. :shakehead:

I dunno, if they're done well and aren't intrusive they can be OK. They worked in Bayonetta for example.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:31 pm

To destroy the whole QTE's are fine argument:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPqrXC5hpSQ[/url]
go to 14:10, it explains why exactly other ways of doing this designed around skill are a good idea.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:44 pm

The advantage of QTE is that it allows for a cinematic finish to a boss battle that would other wise have a normal gameplay kill or just die in a cutscene. Metal Gear Rising did it well.

Depth of field is a technique that is great in photography and cinema, but negatively impairs visibility, and thus has no place in video games.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:The advantage of QTE is that it allows for a cinematic finish to a boss battle that would other wise have a normal gameplay kill or just die in a cutscene. Metal Gear Rising did it well.

Depth of field is a technique that is great in photography and cinema, but negatively impairs visibility, and thus has no place in video games.

I think MGR's older sister title, Bayonetta (and its sequel) also did use QTEs in combat quite well in that they were only used for finisher moves so the majority of usually difficult battles were decided by the player and doing a sexy dance to summon a demon to munch on whatever you'd been hacking at was usually cathartic. There were also smaller QTEs you could use against mook enemies but you had to use those strategically, if at all, because once again they could only be used as finishers after depleting most of the target's health and required a whole bar of magic energy so it was useless wasting one on a weak enemy only to get mown down by a flaming winged tiger a few seconds later.

That said, the first Bayonetta did have a lot of annoying QTEs in cutscenes outside of combat, such as a very annoying sequence in which you had to dodge something with exact timing or you'd get blown up. The second game thankfully removed all of that.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:59 am

The contextual moves in Rose's vid are neat, but if the cinematic brutality is part of the game's selling point you need to make sure these over-the-top instances are available to everyone, not just the elite. Honestly, why not do both scripted instances AND opportunities for situational specials? And for those who don't like the QTE, just turn it off in a menu and let those specials just happen automatically... but miss out on some points/tech bonus/whatever so there's incentive to do well even there. Maybe a QTE with options if you manually play it out? Everyone wins!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 am

DMC's selling point IS cinematic brutality though, the difference is that the players have to earn that by training with the game and their own skill, if the game is too hard there is always automatic mode in which is does all your combos for you and all you have to do is press the attack button and dodge, maybe use your devil bringer when you want it.

Besides the game teaches you the whole way how and when to use your grab, unless you are on turbo mode its quite simple to pull off those moves and very satisfying, I'll put it this way, i could do it when i was a lot younger and i sucked at games then, if i could do it then with my shitty skill level most can do it, it isn't restricted to "the elite"
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Garbage that Gets your Goat in Gaming

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:41 am

This isn’t an uncommon trope, but I don’t know of any better name for it:

Recruitment Nerfing

In some adventure RPGs it’s not unheard of for an antagonist character to do a face-turn and join your party later in the game; during your battles with them early in the game they sported HPs of 1000+ and used special abilities which could instakill you; when they finally join you however, their HP is down to 200 max and the instakill attacks are mysteriously forgotten.

This is just plain silly, lazy, and a slap in the face.

This trope is only acceptable if the character in question has actually lost something before joining your side, something which explains their sudden drop in formidability, maybe they were under the influence of some kind of evil, magical steroid and stopped taking it to regain their senses.

This occasionally walks alongside another trope: Cutscene power to the max. Warning- TV tropes.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”