Favorite Video Games

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 pm

If you want to continue this fighting game system brokeness debate making a new thread would be the way to go as by now this is pure off topic.

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Nah, I don't want to bother anymore.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:50 pm

just off the top of my head, not a complete list by any means:

Deus Ex
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IX (and so on...)
Shining Force
Star Ocean: 'Til the End of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Sonic 2
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Chross
Ratchet&Clank series
Duke Nukem 3D
Diablo
Diablo 2
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
Pokémon Gold
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Megaman Battle Network 3 Blue
Fallout 2
Offensive Combat

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Watch out for that tea... BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:50 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Command and Conquer: Red Alert

"You disappoint me, Kukov..."

In Command & Conquer, no matter if they win or lose, the bad guys are always killing each other.
"No honor among the Politburo" eh? :lol:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:08 am

Personally I preferred Tiberian Sun because of CABAL.

"Define favourable outcome, CABAL."
"They all die".

Classic :lol: . He became even more awesome in Firestorm, and it's a real pity that EA didn't try to do anything with him in the sequels (outside of LEGION, whose CABAL-subplot somehow disappeared during Tiberian Twilight).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Genesis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Genesis » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:20 am

Hmm... Most of my favorite video games tends to be RPGs, if not all. I like video games such as...

Final Fanatsy (IV, VI, VII, IX, X, X-2, XII)
Devil May Cry series
Pokemon (Red, Yellow, Crystal, Fire Red, Emerald, Platinum, Soul Silver, Black, Stadium)
Kingdom Hearts (I, II, Birth by Sleep, 358/2 Days)
Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword)
Phoenix Wright series
Mario (Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario World, 64)
Persona (3: FES, 4 Golden)
Metal Gear Solid (1, 2, 3)
Mario Kart (64)
Super Smash Bros
The Elder Scrolls (Skyrim)
The Sims (3)
Sonic (Adventure 01 and 02)
Metroid (Super Metroid and Prime)
Street Fighter series
Tekken series
Dynasty Warriors series
Blazblue (Continum Shift EX)
Soulcalibur series
Left 4 Dead
Yakuza series
Professor Layton series
Guitar Hero and Rockband
Resident Evil (1, 2, 4)
Bloody Roar series
inFAMOUS series

Aaaaaaaaand a crapload more. I know, I'm a nerd. Haha.
狂ったこの世で狂うなら気は確かだ。
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane. - Akira Kurosawa

"Cogito, ergo sum." - Ren Descartes
"Carpe Diem." - Quintus Horatius Flaccus

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:56 am

I will list a few but there are many more so....

-Final Fantasy Tactics, VII, VIII, IX, X
-Crisis Core Final Fantasy
-Dragon Quest V PS2 Remake
-Demon Souls
-Dark Souls
-Resident Evil 2
-Resident Evil 4
-The Last of Us
-Bioshock Infinite
-Monkey Island (all of them)
-Uncharted 2 and 3
-Assassins Creed 2
-Silent Hill 2
-Metal Gear Solid 3
-Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
-Tales of Destiny
-Tales of the Abyss
-Clive Barker's Undying (this screams for a remake)
-Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons
-Zelda Link's Awakening
-Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
-Pokemon Gold/Crystal

and many many more......
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:44 am

View Original PostKatana wrote:Also the game has awesome BGMs which remind me of Evangelion somehow. Unfortunately this game was release only in Japan on Arcades and Sega Saturn, but hopefully Treasure released a new HD remake which is only available on XBLA. Still, I have to beat the game on Normal difficulty.

The background story is kinda Eva-like too. Hope it'll stay as a Saturn exclusive though, mwahwahwahwah

I can't believe so many people can quote only one game and one genre. So here I go:

Shooters:
Ikaruga, Einhänder, Radiant Silvergun and the Thunder Force series

Fighters:
Virtua Fighter (5), Street Fighter Zero 2 Dash, King of Fighters 97, Power Stone 2

Racers/Driving:
Wipeout 2097, Sega Rally, some F-Zero installment

Action/Adventure:
Tomb Raider, the first Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, Resident Evil (I enjoyed 1 and 3 in particular)

Misc:
Panzer Dragoon Orta (PD is an extremly rare case of a series that got undeniably better at each installment), Virtual On/Virtual On Oratorio Tangram (officially the most played arcade game in Japan in 1996 and with bloody good reasons), Ergheiz, Metal Gear Solid

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:17 am

What's your single most beloved game?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:

:redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:26 pm

There has been many games I really really like, both on consoles and PC, and some of those I'd still keep playing again and again. But even if I'm not sure I'll ever get around playing through This One Game again since I have to admit I've grown tired of JRPGs, I still have to admit Chrono Trigger refuses to yield its place in my videogame heart.

Part of it is nostalgia these days even if I first played it on emulator in '99 (hey thanks, Europe!) and the only time I have actually bought it was on NDS. But that's not all there is to it, the game really does very many things exactly right.

- engaging storyline and characters (yes, it does. sure it's not shakespeare but come on.)
- NO RANDOM ENCOUNTERS (or at least very minimally)
- lack of grinding
- new game+ and multiple endings
- there is actually something where player choices make some difference.

(I haven't actually bothered that much with JRPGs in general. Part of the reason might be that CT was one of the first I played there so it kinda immediately became the yardstick which every other JRPG got measured against... I really, desperately, wanted to love Chrono Cross as much but ... well. It's "just fine" but. But. I guess all of you already know, all of that stuff has been written thousands of times already.)
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:57 am

Dig Dug That's is a game I can play it forever & never grown old to me
When I first play it on Namco Museum on the ps1 at the tender age of 12..or 13
I fell in love with this simple, yet fun video game. I am always looking to
one-up myself and beat my high score.
I have since bought the 4 times over (as of 2013) and I will most likely to buy it again.
Despite being an old arcade game from the 1980's it is still a blast to play!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:38 pm

EDIT: No longer relevant, see post below.
Last edited by Stan on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:44 am

- > Third Strike
- > broken
- > best 2D fighter of all time

lel

Anyway uhhhh in no particular order:

- Chrono Cross/Radical Dreamers/Chrono Trigger
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Metroid Prime
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker/Link's Awakening
- Final Fantasy series, esp. VII, Tactics, Tactics Advance
- Metal Gear Solid 1-3
- Killer7
- No More Heroes
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Silent Hill 2/Shattered Memories
- Super Mario World
- Paper Mario/The Thousand Year Door/Sticker Star
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike
- Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma
- Crysis
- Xenogears (love-hate relationship)
- Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow/Order of Ecclesia/IV
- Shin Megami Tensei IV/P3P
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

What is your favorite Video Game?

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:33 pm

Within the next year I will be moving to a different city to live on my own and I can't possibly bring all the junk I've accumulated over the years with me. As a result, I started cleaning up my shelves and boxes of stuff in the basement. I've found many nostalgic relics of the past scattered throughout the house that range from my Shonen Jump and manga collection, bootleg VHS tapes of subtitled anime I would get from shady places all over town in the 90s, far too many DVD singles of anime (4 episodes that cost $30) from companies that are no longer in business (Bandai, ADV etc), and A LOT of video games from various systems.

And while it's a drag to dig through all this stuff trying to figure out what I want to keep and what will go on eBay -- it is enjoyable to a certain degree to re-live all those memories.

While sorting everything, I started thinking to myself "which games were the funnest to play, which games moved me and changed my outlook on life, which games made me cry, and which games were simple mindless fun"?
I picked my choices due to certain experiences or emotions I have associated with them, maybe funny moments I had with my friends - the idea is that they have a story associated with them, and that's why I will forever be fond of them.

(note: certain games I will bundle into a single category, instead of having each subsequent sequel as a separate choice - also, there is no particular order to them)

SPOILER: Show
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (PC) - Released on the PC and PS1in Q1 of 2000, and me being born in the early 90s, this was one of my my first games I ever played. Previously, my only real experience with video games were the few times I played Ninja Turtles with my cousin on his NES and that one Crash Bandicoot game I played on the computer in the main lobby of our hotel when I went on vacation with my granny.

Interestingly enough, I didn't really "own" this game. In the late 90s when laptops were just becoming a thing, my dad was given a laptop for work. It wasn't his, it belonged to the Airline he worked for at the time, and it was temporarily given to employees for work. I guess the person who used it before my father was a gamer, because this laptop came with a few installed games. The three titles were this game, Duke Nukem, and Mortal Combat. Naturally my dad deleted the latter two, and only let me play NFS Porsche a few times a week in the evenings. I must have put far too many hours into this game than it deserved - but since my only alternative options were Solitaire, Microsoft Paint, and Minesweeper - I played NFS Porsche a lot.

At a later time when the laptop was returned I lost the game, but a few years later I acquired it again on the PS1 and played it on my PS2.

Pokemon Ruby Version (GBA) - Ruby and Sapphire Versions released in March of 2003 in North America, and Ruby Version was my very first non-PC game I owned. Every boy in elementary school owned a GameBoy... except me. I would spend nearly every lunch break watching my friends play Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal and battle each other. For the longest time I wanted to join them, but my parents refused to buy me a GameBoy because of the poor quality of the screen.

Finally I convinced my dad to get me a GameBoy Advance with Pokemon. We went to the store (it was Zellers - for those few Canadians who remember it) and I got a light purple see-through GameBoy Advance but they did not have Ruby. In that same mall, we found some private second-hand game store (that went bankrupt a few years later) and they had an open box Ruby Version that I got. I was delighted to have my first gaming console and a brand new Pokemon game - but my troubles did not end there. When I got home and started playing, my dad got upset at the GameBoy! The regular GBA did not have a back-light for the screen. Concerned about my eyes he went back and returned the system that same day.

I was devastated for the next week. Luckily my dad asked around and we were recommended the newly released GameBoy Advance SP (that came out that same week) with the back-light screen. He was going to get me the silver one, but I decided to be picky and we went all over the city until we found the red one at some Walmart - mainly because the red color matched the red plastic of the Ruby cartridge.

The 3rd generation of Pokemon is to this day my favorite, and my first starter (Sceptile) to this day exists. He traveled the Generations of Pokemon games and now resides in my Omega Ruby version. This Generation also is home to my favorite Pokemon of all time, that being Latios. I few years later I got Emerald, and it became my primary 3rd Gen game. My file has 9 of my friends in it (from mixing records) and a total play time of 437hours. (I will also admit that the ending theme during the credits to this day gets me to almost cry)

Need for Speed Underground (PC) - This is another racing game I had a lot of fun with. I got it in late 2003, and I will never forget how realistic the graphics looked to me at the time. The game was very fun. My good friend at the time also had it and it was fun going over to his house and racing him split-screen. Did anyone else go the opposite way on the racing downtown track just to collide head on with other contestants when you're bored?
I also really fell in love with that one design choice where you could paint a red rose right across the side of your car. In the future when I am a rich douche bag, I will totally get a black Mitsubishi Eclipse with that red rose paint job. 8)

Sly Cooper 1-3 (PS2) - Released in 2002, this was my first PS2 game I owned. Sly 1 was fantastic. A perfect blend of a good story and very fun gameplay. That game has one of the best game designs for its time. I remember I was stuck in that crocodile boss when I had to do button commands to dodge attacks - man did that part frustrate me. There really isn't as much I can say about this game as the others. It was my first game on the PS2, and I loved it. I skipped the second one, but got the third game on release.

Later on I got the PS3 HD collection, replayed the games (#2 for the first time), appreciated how fun they are, and to this day consider this trilogy great.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 1-5 (PS2) - Does anyone remember the days when we had 14 playable characters and everyone was happy? Well, I do. The original Ultimate Ninja released in Japan in late 2003 and made its way to North America in June of 2006. Naruto was becoming a national phenomenon around that time, everyone was talking about it at school. I was part of a Naruto club, we all went by names of characters form the show, I was known as Neji in that club haha. The only Naruto games out at that time were Clash of Ninja (GC) and Ninja Council (GBA). I never owned the GameCube, so while all my friends were enjoying the 3D fighter that was CoN, I was stuck with the portable side-scroller that could be beaten in 2 hours (not that I minded, great game).

You can imagine how happy I was to learn that a Naruto game was coming to the PS2 (the only home console I owned). Interestingly enough, it released on my friend's birthday. We both got it from BestBuy and beat it that same night. Then we proceeded to fight each other, and I started to rage as I continuously got my ass handed to me since I sucked at inputting button commands during Ultimate Jutsus.

It was an interesting time in my life. Anime was huge in the 2000s, we as as a class would argue with our Gr.6 Homeroom teacher that InuYasha and Naruto are better than Ghost in the Shell - which he religiously watched. We had great shows on TV, school was fun, every day we'd go to each others houses and play games. During lunch we'd watch YouTube videos of Ultimate Ninja 3 and be amazed - remember that 2006 YouTube? It was simple but amazing - you could find all sorts of things on it back then. Each following year in Spring I would get the sequel: UN 2, 3, and 4. Ultimate Ninja 5 never came out in the West, and it wasn't until 2011 that I imported the European version of UN 5. Yet to this day the original Ultimate Ninja remains my favorite Naruto game, I have 288 hours played. It is my ritual to play a few rounds every summer.

Bleach: Blade Battlers (PS2) - This is a game that I consider a big lost opportunity for SEGA. After it released in Japan in late 2006, it quickly made it's way on the bucket lists of every Bleach fan. Little did we know that we would never get it here in the West. This was still around the time that anime was huge here in Canada, and everyone watched Bionix (Canadian Toonami equivalent). Me and my buddies were hyped for this game as it supported 4 player brawls. It was the ultimate party game.

I was lucky that one of my friends imported the game, and we played it A LOT. At the same time, we were unlucky since he moved to a different province just months after.
When he moved, we wanted to import the game again. We didn't get around to doing it until much later though. By then, the anime craze died down, and the PS2 was an old system. We also all played that Wii Bleach game, Shattered Blade, but it was only 2 player and not as fun. I guess the saying "there is a right time and place for everything" is applicable in this case? For that time, this game was gold - it's too bad we couldn't enjoy it at its prime. But nonetheless, I still love it.

Fullmetal Alchemist: and the Broken Angel (PS2) - Released in early 2005 this is one of the hardest games based on an anime you can play. This game will break you. I will admit though, it's a personal guilty pleasure of mine. Upon getting the game, it took me nearly a year to get to the final boss - only to realize I was under-levelled to fight her. Unfortunately, due to the game's design, leaving to grind is impossible. I was stuck on a hard final boss that I couldn't beat.. with no way to train. Upon realizing that, I had no choice but to restart the game.

The second playthrough began in the summer of 2006. I never even got to the final boss that summer, then school started, and I got distracted. This was all middle school. In my first year of high school (2008) I came back to the game... this time with a friend. We got to the final boss. We couldn't beat her. We gave up.

The 4th time I came back to the game was during March break of 2010, by myself, and determined to beat it. I got halfway.. I got distracted. I returned during March break of 2011 - and I finally beat it. I think this is the longest time it ever took me to beat a game. I also think I have it memorized. Every attempt and trap the game has to screw you over, I have them permanently engraved in my mind. I believe that I am the best player of this game in the world :lol: . And now that I wrote about it.. I kinda wanna replay it again.. and cry at the ending again.

.hack//G.U. Vol. 1-3 (PS2) - I will admit, I prefer the GU games to IMOQ. I think the original games really captured me with the music and the idea of a game within a game. Upon beating them (and regrettably selling them) - I fell out of .hack for a while. I still owned the .hack cards, and I still liked the anime, but I didn't care for .hack for a while. It wasn't until I saw the promotional page in Shonen Jump for Vol. 1 of GU that my passion for the series we reignited.

But due to financial reasons, I never bought Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 -- instead I rented them from blockbuster. It was also around 2007 that I started following this site. I would keep checking the main page daily in hopes of finding more news on the release of the next volume (though it wasn't until way later that I joined the boards.. mainly to moan about my disapproval of how CC2 is handling the series these days).

I did however buy Vol. 3 on release in September 2007, mainly because my birthday was approaching. It was an exciting time to know I owned the latest volume of a .hack game and I had all the time in the world to play it. No more deadlines on when to return the game! The game was great, I loved it.
I think the funniest and greatest memory I have is of the day I beat it. It was February 2008, and it was snowing like hell that day. I remember pretending to be sick to stay at home - and it worked! Both my parents were at work, all my friends were at school, the snowfall was heavy, it was 9am in the morning, and I had the entire day to experience the finale of the GU saga. It was amazing. Even as a clueless middle school kid, I was moved by the ending. Very touching. Though it wasn't until 2013 that I replayed the game for the 5th time and actually beaten the forest of death post game dungeon and gotten Tabby on my team.

Persona 3 (PS2) - This game came out in August of 2007, so right before going to school. At that time I had no clue what Persona was, or what Shin Megami Tensei was for that matter. The Internet recommended the game, and we all know the Internet does not lie... haha. People said it's good, it was an anime RPG, sooooo I was definitely on board! It's funny thinking back how I wanted to beat it before school started.. heh.

Persona 3 was a painful experience from start to finish. It had great music, high school anime characters, "digimon" you can collect and fight with... "I've played plenty of these kind of games" I kept saying to myself. So then why was I having so much trouble with it?
Persona 3 was a hard learning curve. I never experienced games quite like it. The fundamental mechanics seemed straightforward, but the deeper systems of the gameplay were too much for me. I didn't know how to use the Internet that well back then - it was a teach yourself trial and error approach. On top of that was the dark and gloomy story, which made me feel uneasy.

Saying all that, it was an experience. I struggled my way through it, and I finally beat it. I felt satisfied, for two reasons. One, I learned how to beat hard games. And two, I was moved by the story. I don't know how, but I knew the main character passed away. It was very vague, and many people did not get the ending. But I knew.. It was a bittersweet moment and I felt conflicted. It was the first time a game showed me a "happy ending.. but not really" type of conclusion. Also.. I gotta fault the game for this one thing.. high school life is not as exciting as they hyped me up for it..

Pokemon Diamond (DS) - Yes, I got another Pokemon game on this list. While Ruby is my favorite game (and my first Pokemon game), I think Diamond and Pearl are the games I've anticipated the most in my life. The hype was real for these games. I remember TV commercials, every store that sold games had giant posters everywhere, gaming magazines had monthly scoops, toys, plushies, stickers, Nintendo DS special editions. Heck, my dad had a Master Card that had Dialga on it.

Every day I would hang out with my friends at the park after school, play Mystery Dungeon Blue/Red, and just anticipate these games. It was the subject of discussion before, during, and after school. I remember looking at the sky during sunset/dusk and comparing the orange-purple part of the sky to Palkia and the already dark night sky to Dialga. I was obsessed.

Interestingly, out of all my friends I wanted Pearl, but ended up with Diamond. I did not have a DS until May, and the games came out in April of 2007. I remember running with one of my friends to Blockbuster during lunch to pick up his Diamond, only to be disappointed it was sold out. He ended up getting Pearl because he didn't want to wait. Similar things happened with a few other friends who missed out on Diamond (I guess the more popular version) and ended up with Pearl. It was hard to find these games. They were sold out everywhere. I guess it's no surprise they remain the best selling DS games of all time. In late May my dad went to get my Pearl at BestBuy, but they were sold out, so he got me Diamond. I was upset, but over time started preferring the Diamond version, and now I like it better. Funny how that works.

Rune Factory Frontier (Wii) - God I love RF Frontier. If you haven't played this masterpiece, you must! Get a Wii and play it!
I was introduced to this game in 2009 through a YouTuber who did playthroughs. I had no interest in this game, but watched the playthrough because I liked her commentary. That's when the game started to grow on me. It looked beautiful, sounded beautiful, had fun farming and battling mechanics, and plenty of cute girls to seduce - amazing! In all seriousness though, this game is so damn peaceful. It's very relaxing, cute and colorful. It's the definition of serenity.

By the time I got the game, it was out of print. I found a used copy for $70 only for it to get a re-print a few months later. I think it's dirt cheap in a bunch of places now. If you like harvest moon games, or never played them, try this one out. It's very addicting. Even to this day I sometimes visit the game's website to enjoy the peaceful music - it's so soothing. Hint: take the personality quiz to see who your best match for marrying in the game is! ------> http://www.runefactoryfrontier.com/

Catherine (PS3) - Catherine was a blind buy for me, almost. It came out in July of 2011 and I picked it up on my way from summer school. I took next year's English over the summer to avoid having to read books throughout the school year, and that day I was in a great mood after receiving a final grade of 98% in the course. I randomly stopped by an EB Games, just for fun. There I saw this gem. My only knowledge of the game was a few random reviews I saw a week earlier giving the game 9's, and that trusty ATLUS logo. "In ATLUS I trust" I thought - and I got the game.

There isn't much to say. The game is a masterpiece. It's beautiful, it's interesting, it's fun, it's challenging, at times it's funny, and at times it's scary - just a fantastic work of fiction. I highly recommend this game to practically anyone. It's worth it.
On a side note: the summer of 2011 was crazy, I got Catherine, DW Gundam 3, and Bleach Soul Ignition - all of which are amazing games I love.

There are many other games I love, but I simply can't go over all of them. I am already writing this post for almost an hour, and I could go on forever haha. There are plenty of notable mentions I have, the likes of:

Suikoden V (PS2) - How I rented it, loved it, refused to buy it out when Blockbuster was going bankrupt, and now hate myself since it's impossible to find.
The Original Star Wars: Battlefront (PC) and GTA 3 (PC) - For being crazy fun mindless entertainment.
Valkyria Chronicales (PS3) - For being an underrated gem of last Generation. I would never have found this beauty if it wasn't for Shonen Jump Magazine. Am I ever glad they're doing an updated PS4 port!
Tales of Symphonia (GC) - It was one hell of a summer when me and my best bud rented it and tried to beat it in one week. Remember the 2 discs the game was on because it was too much for a single disc release? Remember those ice puzzles near the end of the game? Remember how long that game was? Good times.

------
And on a side note, can anyone recommend what to do with my Old Manga/DVDs/Games that I don't want? Certain things I can sell, but other stuff I know nobody will buy. It would be a waste to throw them out. Should I donate?
Last edited by Stan on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Favorite Video Games

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:06 pm

It's really hard to pick an all-time favorite, that one game that I could never be without, but I'm a fan of a handful of series.

Mario, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Tetris, Contra, Final Fantasy, Armored Core, Tekken, Last of Us, to name a few.

In particular, I am a huge fan of Ranger X for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. And lately, I've added Castlevania (specifically the Igavania/Metroidvania titles) to my list of favorites. I've played through at least 8 games in the series in the last year and a half.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Don't really have many stories but I do have comments and I haven't made a top ten list in while so why not.
In no paticular order because it would take to long to decide. Although my number 1 is number 1.
@Stan it cool that you still have your first Sceptile. I'm Jealous.

1) Ninja Gaiden Black- At the time I had a strong bias against all 3d hack and slash games. My brother had bought this on whim and I told him he wasted his money. Ironically he ended up not liking it while the game completely annihilated my bias against the genre. Also it was the first game I ever tried to actively be good at. I reached like top 100 on leader boards for the sake of a contest they had at the time but I still failed. Still play it every couple of years. Beaten it so many times I've lost count

2)Pokemon gold game boy color/heart gold- Met my BFF of 16 years because of this game. Like literally if this game didn't exist a lot stuff in my life would've been different lol. My bff actually deleted my game file behind my back because he couldn't beat my Mewtwo even with the help of gameshark...our friendship survived that fiasco.

3)Zelda ocarina of time- First time a game has ever "amazed me" plus I got super into it like I used to make up stories while I played and pretend it was me in the game. I was like 10. I remember I had played Zelda Dx for gameboy first and my friend told there was a 3d version of the game and I was like "no fucking way!" My mind couldn't grasp that something like Ocarina of time could possibility exist at the time.

4)Resident evil 1/2(overall my favorite franchise ever)- I used to play this game a lot with my uncle and cousin and sleep over their home. We bonded over it. Fun experience. Not fan of the direction revelations 1 and 2 are taking the series but w/e I enjoyed 6 straight games in a row, plus spin offs, so I had a good run with it. If people want more revelations crap let them have it.

5) Bayonetta 1- This game had everything I wanted from an action hack and slash game although it was pretty easy to master relatively speaking. To me it's almost perfect. Seriously though buy any games made by Platinum Games. They are keeping the 3d action genre alive. Without them we'd have nothing but crap existing in the genre; not counting Soul's serious since those games are a different experience. Support them. They are also the people who made Metal Gear: Rising.

6)Smash brother melee and wii u- I once got into a fight because of melee when I was a teen. Lesson I learned form that experience: People can only take so much shit talking before they crack.

7)Skyrim(elderscrolls franchise): There is a dark part of me that enjoys stealing shit and fantasizes about it...this game fulfills that need for me.

8)Street Fighter 4- First game where I ever won a local tournament in. I felt like the fucking man that day. My ego had never been feed so well. Also the game is really good. I kinda suck now. I blame the military. I joined them and my practice completely stopped. Like a tiny part of me resents the army for that lmao. I know it sounds stupid but I can't help it.

9) There are more game's I like a lot but nothing that I would put in a top ten favorites of all time. Maybe The last of us or Bioshock or Splinter cell or Batman. Not sure though. Can't really decide. Halo 2 too...um I'll consider these honorable mentions I guess.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:57 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:@Stan it cool that you still have your first Sceptile. I'm Jealous.

2)Pokemon gold game boy color/heart gold- Met my BFF of 16 years because of this game. Like literally if this game didn't exist a lot stuff in my life would've been different lol. My bff actually deleted my game file behind my back because he couldn't beat my Mewtwo even with the help of gameshark...our friendship survived that fiasco.

6)Smash brother melee and wii u- I once got into a fight because of melee when I was a teen. Lesson I learned form that experience: People can only take so much shit talking before they crack.

Yup, I am eternally grateful that by some miracle my original starter still lives on!

2) You're strong. Nobody messes with my pokemenz and gets away with it LOL

6) Don't get me started on smash bros meele. That game ruined friendships haha

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:24 pm

Hmm, tricky. I won't stick to just an arbitrary ten but these are my all-time faves:

...and I just realized I already wrote pretty much the same post years ago, so no point in repeating myself.

The only thing I would add to that today is my phone game of choice, Brave Frontier
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:50 am

Oh wow, cool thread! I can't believe I've never noticed it before. Anyhow, here are my favorites:

Pokemon Silver/Gold Version
When I was a kid growing up in the late '90s, Pokemon Silver WAS my life. All of my friends had either gold or silver as well, and all of our interaction was based around those games. The pokemon craze was at its height, and these games quickly became as ubiquitous to our socializing as tea is to the British. When we were waiting for our parents after school, we played G/S. When we went over to each other's houses, we spent the entire damn day playing G/S. When we talked on the phone, it was always about G/S! I ended up with a pokemon team that was hand-leveled to level 99 (not with a rare candy code), and any one of them could solo the entire elite 4 (in fact, I used the elite 4 as their primary source of exp after they hit level 70). And I was damn proud of them. My total play time was over 400 hours on just that file (I had more than one cartridge). Sadly the battery on the cartridge died long ago, but by some miracle my team still exists on my Pokemon Stadium 2 cartridge. I need to find a way of getting them into a more modern game for safety. Oh, did I mention this game had the best post-game content of all time? Nothing like beating a game and getting what is essentially an upgraded version of its predecessor as a reward!

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Ah here it is, the grandfather of all modern open-world RPGs. It was my introduction to both the Zelda series and this gameplay type, and I still see its influence in just about every open-world RPG that comes out these days. The game became so influential and beloved that after Wind Waker, Nintendo's next Zelda game was basically a re-imagining of OOT in an attempt to replicate its magic.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I actually consider MM to be superior to OOT. Sure the world was smaller and there was a 3-day time limit before everything went bye-bye, but the quirkiness of this game and the depth of the world, characters, and gameplay were completely unreal at the time. MM pushed the N64 so hard that stock N64s couldn't even run the game, you needed to install a larger RAM module just to play it. I still have fond memories of playing this game with my best friend as we frantically raced to collect all of the masks before the moon fell. Oh, and the dungeons in this game were even crazier and more creative than the ones in OOT, especially the Stone Temple.

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age
These are, without a doubt, the best RPGs I have ever played. Everything from the art style to the music to the characters and the story just works together perfectly, and when I first played these games I literally wanted to live in Weyard. By the way, every single tune in the game is wonderful and I can still hear them if I think about the area they played in.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition
A modern gem and a game one can live in. My total play time is probably over 800 hours by now, and I have created a huge variety of characters. The beauty of the game is that there are so many factions and towns that one can forego the main quest entirely and just roleplay in the Mojave wasteland for hundreds of hours. That's actually what I do most of the time. And if you ever need a change of scenery, the diverse assortment of expansions has you covered.

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
One might assume from the title that this is a typical Assassin's Creed game, but what it actually is is an open world piracy simulator with Assassin's Creed window dressing. There are far too few games that do what this game does, and even fewer that do it so well. Before I played this, the only AAA game I had played that even came close to this in terms of gameplay was Wind Waker.

Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time
I bought this at a game store back in 2004 without knowing anything about it other than its cover box had some awesome artwork. Little did I know I was in for a 100-hour epic I'd never forget. The game is so large it takes up 2 DVDs, and that was huge for a 6th-gen game. The game's story, particularly its ending, also introduced me to concepts that influenced me later in life.

SoulCalibur 3
IMO this game was the pinnacle of the series. It had a huge roster, great costumes, great arenas, a playable boss character, a metric shitload of single-player content unequaled in any other fighting game I've ever played, and a character creation system that blew my mind back in the day. If Namco ever remastered it, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Persona 4 Golden
I haven't actually finished this one yet, but it's already one of my favorites. The character writing and development is superb, and the plot has more twists than the spear of longinus. The characters feel like human beings, and often when I'm playing I think stuff like, "I wonder if Rise wants to hang out" or "I wonder how Chie is doing" instead of thinking of interacting with them strictly in gameplay terms.

Final Fantasy IX
The best of the FF series IMO, edging out even FFVII. Don't let the cutesy art style turn you off, this is a damn good RPG and it gets surprisingly dark at times.

Final Fantasy VII
A legend among video games. If you're into video games then you've already heard everything about the game, not much I can add to all of that. The game's legend speaks for it.

South Park: The Stick of Truth
It may be short for an RPG, but I was laughing heartily the entire time. Easily one of the most hilarious games ever made, and well worth the $60 I paid for it despite the simplistic visuals and gameplay.
[Redacted]

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”