Ghostbusters Reboot

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:49 pm

But not as the original ghostbusters passing the torch (it's been pretty much confirmed at this point). Which makes no sense, making this a sequel to the first two films is such a no brainer, and would have mellowed the controversy somewhat.

The thing with all fanboys is that they don't like change, if you do change things you have to slowly ease the fans into it. Make abrupt changes without any context and you'll just make people upset.

The OG ghostbusters will probably just show up as a glorified cameo, like as a librarian or a hotdog stand owner, or as an actual ghost.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:12 am

So what? Let the fanboys be upset, they're forty-somethings who are whining about nothing. This is for a new generation of viewers, so there's no reason not to start fresh. I don't know if I'll like the final effort or not, but I know I'm not gonna dismiss it just because it's different.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:57 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Looks fun.

And Bill Murray is in the movie.

If I recall correctly, the only reason why Bill Murray is in this movie is because he was being threatened with a lawsuit if he didn't appear in it. This info was from the Sony leaks. I imagine he'll just be phoning it in for this movie.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:00 am

^ Bill Murray was phoning it in for the originals as well. He wanted nothing to do with the original Ghostbusters, but did it anyway so the studio would green-light his serious drama about finding enlightenment or something like that. (The studio green-light it and the movie promptly bombed in the box-office.) In this sense, I expect his performance here to be just as good as the originals.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:29 am

The threat of legal action against Bill Murray was back in 2013, long before Paul Feig had signed onto the project & at a time when Sony's project looked like it was more going to be Ghostbusters 3 & he would have had a central starring role. Very little of that should be accounted into the project once Paul Feig signed on as writer/director & took the project down a whole different path.

And let's also be fair. Performance wise Bill Murray has been phoning it in for well over a decade. Wes Anderson hasn't asked him to do any heavy lifting in any of films since 'The Life Aquatic' & even the movies Murray was hoping would lead to Oscar glory - 'St. Vincent' & 'Hyde Park On Hudson' - didn't demand much from him as a performer.

Finally, as for fanboys - what do they have to be bitching about? The last good Ghosbusters movie came out in 1986 (the sequel is bad) & the filmmakers should be allowed to do whatever they want with the universe. And it's not like there's a scarcity of big budget man pandering cinema at the theaters right now.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:39 am

I'm probably in the minority on this but I like ghostbusters 2 better than the first ghostbusters.

I found Vigo a much scarier and competent villain than the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man.

The female cast isn't the problem, the problem is the framing, timing, and the quality of the actresses they've cast.

Melissa McCarthy was HILARIOUS in Spy. But it was a movie that nobody went to see , and before that all her movies had begun to be less and less funny.

Leslie Jones is fantastic at standup. But she's largely one note when it comes to her acting chops.

I know nothing about the other two girls, so we'll see if they bring anything new to the table.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:04 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I found Vigo a much scarier and competent villain than the Stay-Puft Marshmallow man.

Vigo and the mood slime were awesome. :lol:

Anyhow I was really skeptical when I first heard about the movie and thought it was going to be a cheap girl-power flick with the Ghostbusters name slapped on it to turn a profit, but the trailer completely changed my mind about it. It actually made me laugh, which is rare for most modern comedy trailers. I will say that the acting could use a bit of work all around, and I greatly prefer the original films' special effects, but I am now optimistic about the movie and I hope it does well. By the way I loved the scene where one of the ladies performed an exorcism on her friend by slapping her. :rofl:
[Redacted]

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:02 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Finally, as for fanboys - what do they have to be bitching about? The last good Ghosbusters movie came out in 1986 (the sequel is bad) & the filmmakers should be allowed to do whatever they want with the universe. And it's not like there's a scarcity of big budget man pandering cinema at the theaters right now.

It's simply another reboot that most people won't give a damn about, I don't care either, the original films aren't sacred cows. "Man pandering" or progressivisms dog shit sandwich cinema wrapped up in any of your favourite film franchise's dead crusty skin either way, the results are usually shit, they'd have been better off having it named something completely different, that way it could flounder with some dignity instead of being absolutely mindlessly blasted by the army of original ghostbuster fans out there.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:40 am

Not gonna watch, because i'm not a fan of the type of humor shown in the trailer.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:50 pm

International Trailer is out. Some new jokes, some new scenes, etc. and some stuff that a few people on the internet might find offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Lt02D6xno

I'm totally divided. I liked Spy, I didn't see Bridesmaids but I've heard a lot of good things about it, there is a lot of stuff I like but at the same time I'm dreading that this movie might be terrible and if it's bad, then we'll probably never see another Ghostbusters movie. Not for another generation at least. Which is a shame because there is a lot of potential for this property.

Not even Transformers 4 got this much hate.

Zeta_One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeta_One » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:36 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Not even Transformers 4 got this much hate.

It's getting hate similar to Terminator Genisys and Fantastic Four (2015). It might be more extreme here because people are accustomed to bad Terminator films by this point and there aren't too many people passionate about Fantastic Four. Ghostbusters is one of the most beloved 80s films.

Nothing about this film has looked inspiring thus far.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:45 pm

Nothing I've seen from the new Ghostbusters so far has told me it's going to be terrible. It might only be a fun two hours at the movies & not THE GREATEST THING EVER MADE but a fun two hours is still very welcome. The internet is just doing what it ALWAYS does best. Overreacting & creating a pre-set narrative that an expensive upcoming film ultimately will either end up fulfilling or rejecting.

Another case of the internet creating a pre-set narrative - "Captain America: Civil War is going to be the most amazing, timeless, you-only-experience-this-once-in-a-lifetime movie that will forever be remembered for it's brilliance!"
It won't.
It will just be another fun episode of the ongoing Marvel series, hopefully it will be better then Avengers: Age of Ultron which was very forgettable.

The pre-set narrative for Ghostbusters has been constructed. I kinda doubt the movie will live up to "it's absolutely awful". I think the movie will be fun but not a classic. My two cents.

P.S. Sony is ALSO doing an animated Ghosbusters movie (just like they currently have a theatrical animated Spider-man movie set for 2018) so whatever happens this won't be the last thing Ghostbusters for a while.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:06 pm

Honestly on that topic I have like no hopes for civil war, all it has to do is be better than the comics its based on which is not hard at all.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:38 pm

The new trailer actually had a few moments that made me chuckle, which is more than I can say about the first one. However, the first one felt fairly uniform in how much I liked it. I was pretty lukewarm about it the whole way through. For this new international trailer, it started bouncing between meh and worse: the bits I didn't like I liked much less, while the rest of the trailer felt as mediocre as I found the first one. (The one on youtube is sped up a bit, though; the audio is off key and the characters talk a bit too fast. This doesn't have anything to do with the material in the trailer, but it was annoying.)

I think at the end of the day, though, I do have to call this new trailer better than the last, because I'm slightly more interested in this new Ghostbusters. What appeals to me the most in this trailer is the remixed soundtrack and some of the action sequences, and they made me feel a little pumped up. The pacing felt better too, and even some of the shots looked different. This trailer was better, I believe, and instead of making me not want to go see Ghostbusters, it just made me fairly ambivalent.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:06 am

The international trailer looks a bit more fun. I really don't like that Ghostbusters theme playing on the piano all melodramatic like, though. It doesn't sound right and throws off the intended mood from the very beginning. But the rest of the trailer had some funny moments in it this time, so it's all good.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:54 pm

Bill Murray and the rest of the old cast will only appear for few minutes, if not seconds (all cameo appearances). The leaked emails mean nothing anymore, because during the development of the movie they changed the script many times. From wikipedia

''Prior to the remake, various scripts and ideas for a third movie in the Ghostbusters series had long been planned. These ideas included one in which Bill Murray's character was transformed into a ghost, and another in which the Ghostbusters went to hell. Bill Murray remained uncommited to the project and thus it was decided to make a reboot instead.''
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:27 pm

They could have had Dan Aykroyd show up as the mentor character to 'pass the torch' to the girls. That would have been the best option, and instantly create some attachment from the audience. Making it a completely new reboot, with no connection to the original except for the title isn't going to make the fanboy community give your movie decent word of mouth publicity.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:34 pm

The Trailer is now officially the most disliked movie trailer in the entire history of YouTube.

http://screencrush.com/ghostbusters-tra ... n-history/

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Yeah, sexist assholes unite well online. Especially against women when they start having successes & ESPECIALLY when women incur on the "sacred" male areas.

Bridesmaids has a lower score on IMDB than Batman V. Superman. One movie had people in the thousands vote it a 1 out of 10 (basically calling it dogshit) before it's theatrical release even though it had only played in a few festivals. Festivals where it got rave reviews & excellent word of mouth mind you. When that sam film finally hit theaters in 2011 it had an IMDB score of below 5.2. The other film, a man-friendly fuckfest of comic book douchebaggery of epic proportions, had people (possibly the same asshats) vote it a 10 out of 10 before it's theatrical release when it had only screened at one venue. The day that movie hit theaters it had an IMDB rating of 9.8 or over which basically equates it as the best film of all time.

The hatred for Ghostbusters 2016 is primarily stemmed by misogyny. It's fueled by this juvenile 'Us vs. Them' that angry young men focus on & flourishes in the unmonitored anonymity friendly world online. That's not to say someone can watch the Ghostbusters trailer & genuinely dislike it based on content alone but the pure vitriol that has been thrown at this film since it was announced goes far past general taste in film. There's nothing wrong with an All-Female team of Ghostbusters just like there's nothing wrong with the hundreds of "Guys On A Mission" movies that have come out before. But, thousands of insecure assholes feel this is an affront on their livelihood & have done what they do best - be petty.

It happens pretty much any time a female led feature comes out nowadays that is intended to play all audiences. I guarantee you when the Captain Marvel movie finally happens it will be subject to the most negative attitude pre-release of any Marvel movie.

Me, I'll be seeing Ghostbusters 2016. I don't expect a masterpiece. I don't expect it to be better than the original. I am pretty certain it'll be better than Ghostbusters 2 though.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:14 pm

That's a bit of a knee jerk reaction. The problem isn't that they're women. The problem is that this isn't being done with respect to the material.

Plenty of female critics have pointed out their issues with the movie too. Comicbookgirl19 posted a video talking about why people are reacting to the trailer so virulently.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lQIuTGfPHvA

instead of doing something new. All they're doing is retreading the same beats men have already done. . . You've got an already perfect movie that let's face it, you're never gonna top.

Personally. My problem with the movie isn't that they're all women. My problem with this movie is that it's a reboot, not a sequel. Not connected to the first two Ghostbusters movies, which I think is just a dumb idea. This was probably the last time we could have ever seem Dan Aykroyd as Ray on the big screen again, and now that's never going to happen.

In addition it looks like this movie could be the Next big bomb for an already troubled Sony Pictures.

The YouTube channel Midnightsedge who Broke the news about the behind the scenes drama on Josh Tranks Fant4stic, did some similar documentary style videos talking about behind the scenes issues with this Ghostbusters remake.

Part 1: Rumors of Production Troubles, and the North Korean Sony Hack.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNFzbC0Rjr0

Part 2: Leaked Script, the Trailer, and Damage Control
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rFCxUpGzbc4

Part 3: What happened to Dan Aykroyds Original Script for Ghostbusters 3.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RPAklIlov-A

Return to “Film and Video”