[Series] Monster Hunter

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

[Series] Monster Hunter

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:24 pm

I was acquainted with this franchise earlier this year, after seeing its page on TV Tropes and deciding to look into it. It's basically a mission-based, 3rd person adventure game based around hunting and battling giant monsters (dragons, dinosaurs, etc.). You kill/trap monsters and harvest their parts, which you use to make weapons and armors so you can... hunt down even more powerful monsters. The overall setup is MMORPG-like, I've heard. I've never played MMOs, so I wouldn't know, but I can vouch that MH is quite addictive -- if really long boss fights don't put you off. The max time limit to kill something is 50 minutes, and, if you don't know what you're doing / have shitty equipment, you may well need every last second.

I started off with Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii. My timing was bad enough that Capcom had discontinued online support right around the time I bought it (and there's no way I'm springing for a Wii U just yet so I can play MH3 Ultimate), so due to short-term game design, I was locked out of tons of content from the start. Thanks a lot, Capcom. Even so, this was a good introduction to the game. The variety of monsters and settings is pretty limited, but it was still quite fun, and I was lousy enough at the game to start with that I spent a lot of time climbing the learning curve. Still haven't beaten the last few monsters that I have access to, for whatever reason.

Partway through Tri, I also picked up Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for PSP. This is the "ultimate" version of the second-generation game. Compared to Tri, some of the mechanics are outdated, and it doesn't feature my beloved weapon, the Switch-Axe. (Long Sword has become my go-to instead.) However, the amount of content is through the roof, and access to the multiplayer missions are always available, too! The amount of time I've expended on this title chasing after dragons and chopping off parts of their bodies while they're alive is mind-numbing. Must not stop until I reach G Rank!

So does anyone else here like MH? Playing it currently? Got any favorite weapons? Any monsters you find particularly annoying -- or, alternatively, particularly fun to fight?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Big fan of Monster Hunter, started playing with Freedom Unite.

Got a 3DS just to play MH3U, but 3rd Portable is still my favorite.
Jinouga/Zinogre is just a blast to fight.

Eagerly awaiting MH4 for the west ;_;

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Picked up MH3 on the 3DS with a Circle Pad Pro to play with friends, and although its a little clunky playing single player it is heaps of fun playing with other people.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Faz: You get to play MH with... other people? I'm so envious.

IO: I'm going to have to get a 3DS myself so I can play #4. Had forgotten about 3rd Portable; that should be a breeze to import.

Fewer hunters here than I hoped. Aw, shucks.

So, at least for you two, what are your weapon preferences? Here are mine:

MH3: Switch Axe, supplemented by hammer and lance.

MHFU: Longsword, supplemented by sword & shield, hammer, and double scythes. I use the bow when occasion demands. Also currently expanding my range into Great Sword.

I tried using bowguns in MH3, without much success. I keep thinking, "I'll figure them out eventually", but I doubt it will be during my MHFU playthrough. (No mix-n-match parts system? BAW!)

Far as monsters go: I'll make no secret of the fact that I absolutely sucked at first, with the result that everything was hard. Even so, I say with the scantest amount of pride that Barroth did not give me huge amounts of trouble... but Gobul did. Holy hell, I thought I would never beat that fucking thing. I still avoid fighting it if I can. My next most-hated monster in MH3 might be Barioth. Still need to fight the last three or so monsters to see if they pose any problem. (And no Alatreon for me! fuckyoucapcom)

Coming to MHFU second, it generally hasn't been as hard. I'm still a lousy enough player that I often need to get tips and such online, but I'm not dying on enemies a ludicrous number of times like I used to. Most annoying so far has been -- and I realize this isn't a very original choice -- Tigrex. I'm taking on High Rank quests now, and it still takes me a fucking half hour to take down Low Rank Tigrex in the desert. And I've been intentionally NOT farming it in the mountains; those treacherously narrow areas + quadrupedal wyvern crawl-sprinting after you = bloody combination. I also find myself very annoyed with the Lao Shan Lung missions. I mean, they're BORING. Follow around a huge dragon who's ignoring you and beat up its pot belly. Ugh.

Chameleos is strangely fun. The first time I tried it, I was all, "How the shit am I supposed to do this?" Once I knew the trick, though, taking this guy on became a blast.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:00 am

I've been meaning to try one of these games. They look pretty damn good- the concept is awesome and I like the visual style they have, with the weapons and armour made from bits of monster.

Which one should I start with? I have a PS2, is the original any good? I like playing things from the first game.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I have a PS2, is the original any good? I like playing things from the first game.

I haven't tried the first one, myself, but the opinion on it looks kind of mixed.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:31 am

Switch axe is pretty fun but ridiculously overpowered if you play with 3 other switchaxes that all exploit the weakness of the monster, drink infinite endurance juices and start wailing on it with the infinite combo.
Triple Threat Nargacuga Quest in flooded forest in about 8 minutes lol

recently Ive taken a liking to bow or dual swords or sword n shield

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: [Series] Monster Hunter

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:46 am

Looks like I dropped both games a matter of months after I made this thread and never revisited them in order to do everything. At least, not until now...

My boyfriend gave me a copy of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Christmas, on account of rewarding himself with a Wii U. I've been long looking forward to this version, which corrects MH3's greatest sin by virtue of the tavern quests being, just like in MHFU, always available to the player, regardless of the status of Capcom's server. (MH3 made it obligatory to go online to access those quests, with the result that the end-game and entire monsters became inaccessible when the MH3 servers were shut down. Great planning, there.) The additional weapons and monsters are a great bonus, naturally.

Where I failed to get my boyfriend into MHFU, 3 Ultimate seems to have hooked him. We picked up the 3DS version so we can do the online missions together once we're sufficiently prepared to take out the initial crop of big baddies. It looks like it'll be lots of fun. I've been waiting a long time to play collaboratively with someone! The online servers still show activity, as well, but trying to communicate using the Wii U pad is awkward at best. Investing in additional peripherals may be worthwhile.

Maybe if I luck out, hunting monsters will become a long term couple's activity for my bf and I, and we could eventually get another 3DS and play MH4 together. It'd be nice if he eventually opted to give Freedom Unite another try, so I'd have someone to help me finish off the multiplayer campaign.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:30 am

Monster Hunter X (Cross) is coming west this summer. Its name will be changed to Monster Hunter Generations.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/monster-hunt ... his-summer

That reminds me, I never did finish MH Tri. I need to get back on that game.
[Redacted]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:40 am

"Generations"? Not terribly original, but it fits, I suppose. I gotta get myself a New-DS already.

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:That reminds me, I never did finish MH Tri. I need to get back on that game.

Good luck finishing Tri! The later parts of the game have been inaccessible ever since Capcom shut down the Wii servers, because lol crappy design. If you mean 3 Ultimate -- PM me so we can slaughter innocent animals together. :wink:

My Monster Hunter backlog is ridiculous. Never even fought everyone in MHFU.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:02 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Good luck finishing Tri! The later parts of the game have been inaccessible ever since Capcom shut down the Wii servers, because lol crappy design.

Damn. Probably not even worth putting any more time into it then. Capcom why do you do stuff like this?

If you mean 3 Ultimate -- PM me so we can slaughter innocent animals together. :wink:

I certainly will once I get it. I only bought the old Tri because I don't have a Wii U yet. I'm still waiting until June to determine whether I buy a Wii U or a NX, but rest assured that if the NX isn't backwards-compatible with Wii U games I'll be buying a Wii U instead. Tri Ultimate is on my to-get list. ^_^
[Redacted]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:48 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Damn. Probably not even worth putting any more time into it then. Capcom why do you do stuff like this?

Even weirder considering they got it right in MH Freedom Unite and make all of the quests available whether you have multiplayer engaged or not.

I certainly will once I get it. I only bought the old Tri because I don't have a Wii U yet. (...) Tri Ultimate is on my to-get list.

Assuming you have a 3DS, you can get it for that. If you end up getting a Wii U and the server is still around, you can "just" buy the Wii U version and transfer your data over.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”