Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:30 am

Eh, it's still accessible, in its way. Even if said teenagers can't get someone over 18 to go with them, sneaking into the picture remains an art form that even has WikiHow articles in this day and age!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 pm

Theater attendants often don't look too closely at IDs. With how stupidly easy it is to get a fake and how much the theater people don't want to have to deal with an angry customer, they're likely to wave you right through into an R movie.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:45 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Theater attendants often don't look too closely at IDs. With how stupidly easy it is to get a fake and how much the theater people don't want to have to deal with an angry customer, they're likely to wave you right through into an R movie.

Can't you just buy the tickets online now?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Zack Snyder's Original Cut for Batman V Superman got an R-Rating. Available for the DVD release.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/batman ... ting/20098
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:02 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Can't you just buy the tickets online now?

Somebody still checks the ticket before you go into the theater. That's where the carding takes place, if any actually happens.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:15 pm

So, I'm making my way through Supergirl. It's not Jessica Jones tier by a long shot, but it's watchable (apart from the pilot, which was awful). I think J'onn is probably my favorite character in the show, but the one thing that strikes me, in every single episode is something much more mundane: how the hell can Calista Flockheart be 51? She could easily pass for half of that. That woman won the genetic lottery in a huge way (which makes it funny when she goes on about how Lucy got the looks in her family, as the latter looks pretty drab by comparison whenever they're in the same room).

Show's alright in general. Huge gaping plot holes (many revolving around Supes, or rather his absence), and the tendency to speechify gets irksome at times, but the general arc of the story is sound enough that you can engage SoD without too much trouble. It's helps that the government agency isn't entirely made of stupid.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:36 pm

Ninjas, bitches.  SPOILER: Show
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Frank Miller (yes, THAT Frank Miller) recently did an interview where he talks about how Darren Aronovsky originally was going to direct his script for an R-Rated Batman movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ler-871654

Frank Miller is still a nut.

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:47 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Frank Miller (yes, THAT Frank Miller) recently did an interview where he talks about how Darren Aronovsky originally was going to direct his script for an R-Rated Batman movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ler-871654

Frank Miller is still a nut.

That's actually one of the least nutty interviews I've seen from him in a long time.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:49 pm

J Jonah Jameson Is Playing Comissioner Gordon

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ons-873227

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:17 pm

That's gonna be weird for me to get used to...I wonder what his version of the commissioner is going to be like. Not sure if I like that choice.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:24 pm

He was a perfect JJ Jameson. I think he'll fit the role just fine, depending on the way it's written.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/cWq9XGTjxd

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:58 pm

I'm still wondering why Grant Gustin isn't the Flash. We have a popular and ongoing TV series here, why have a different actor for a central role in a JL movie? It makes no sense to me.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:28 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I'm still wondering why Grant Gustin isn't the Flash. We have a popular and ongoing TV series here, why have a different actor for a central role in a JL movie? It makes no sense to me.

DC wants to keep the tv universe and the movie universe separated.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:10 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:DC wants to keep the tv universe and the movie universe separated.

Oh good grief, why? I thought the whole reason Supes and the Bat didn't show up in the tv shows was because their stories were being told elsewhere. If they're separate universes the shows make even less sense than they already do.

On a related note: finally caught up with The Flash. Overall, I really like it -- the fx are decent, the metas are (mostly) believable, and the tone, dialogue, and cast are all great. But it does suffer from two problems: forced drama and really bad science gaffes, even by comic book standards. The forced drama, which often takes the form of mic drop moments (i.e. characters saying something dramatic and then leaving the room to sulk until someone comes to talk to them) gets repetitive and at times borderline gag-inducing, while the science stuff often has me going, "why would you even think of doing that?" Here's a good example:

SPOILER: Show
At the end of the first season the main antagonist is defeated when his ancestor wipes him from existence by killing himself. Now, leaving aside the fact that this would undo literally everything that had happened in the season thus far (which I'm willing to handwave because a) many worlds theory and b) comic book), the really irritating thing is that the guy comes back in season 2 thanks to a "temporal remnant". The explanation given is weak even by the show's already low standards, and the really annoying part is the fact that the whole premise of the second season is that the events at the end of the first opened up a portal to an alternate Earth -- which gives us a ready-made explanation for how the guy could come back.

The show is full of these "there has to have been an easier way to do that" moments, and it makes it really hard to just go with the flow and enjoy the show for the cheesy fun it is otherwise.

But, those criticisms aside, I really like the show overall. The cast is great and their chemistry really works, and everyone turns in great performances on a regular basis. Jesse Martin is particularly noteworthy as Joe West, and he carries the show almost as much as the titular character. The relationship between him and Barry really sells the show, despite its numerous failings, and I can heartily recommend it on that basis alone.
Last edited by Bagheera on Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:14 am

TV and movie combined universe was in talks but ,obviously, they didn't do it. Right now people are thinking that they all exist with in a tv/movie multiverse so hypothetically TV flash could meet movie flash. The reason they are considering this multiverse thing is so they can do cross overs between shows like flash and super girl without worries of contradicting themsleves. For example Superman doesn't exist in flash/arrow verse yet while in Supergirl show he does. So if they do a cross over multiverse will explain it.
hmmm

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:53 am

Frank, Matt and Elektra  SPOILER: Show

:peace:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 pm

Super girl / flash cross over official and so is the tv multiverse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJlxs-QT8_c
hmmm

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm

New Poster for X-Men: Apocalypse

SPOILER: Show

Return to “Film and Video”