Xenogears

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:04 am

I haven't played any of the xenosaga games, but from what I understand it was basically an uninvolved 'reimagining' rather than part of the same series.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:44 am

Monk Ed: Eh, don't worry, I can completely relate. I gave up on Disc 2 during my first playthrough because the confusion ratio had escalated so significantly -- and I suppose, unlike NGE, I didn't find the presentation compelling enough to persevere. It was Googling game spoilers years later that convinced me to give it another shot.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What happened to this story to keep it from being told? Why could even Xenosaga not complete the tale?

These incredibly detailed and fascinating articles cover it better than I could ever hope to.

Now I'm wondering if I should play through the entire available series again -- not sure in what order, and I've never played eps 2 or 3 -- while asking questions along the way in here to clarify the story. And I think this time I'll just cheat the fuck out of the gameplay to keep my pace up so I can focus on the story and not get bogged down like I did the first times around. :lol:

Definitely start with Xenogears. I'm sure any questions you ask would help clarify the story for myself, as well. I haven't played Saga yet, but want to. I kind of like the idea of doing a roughly synchronized playthrough and discussing the fucked-up storyline along the way.

Quiddity
Lilith

Re: Xenogears

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Longtime bump, but first time I've visited this forum since these posts were made :P Glad to hear you finally were able to complete the game, Reichu. For those interested in the franchise, Xenoblade Chronicles X has finally been released in the US within the last week or so. Unconnected storywise with Xenogears and Xenosaga, but from the same production team and they brought back the original character designer who I think has been absent after Xenosaga episode I.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:10 am

Yeah, saw it at Gamestop the other day. Didn't pick it up because I haven't even gotten around to playing the original Xenoblade, and if I don't like that one what's the point? Hopefully the powers that be at least learned from last time and there won't be ridiculous supply issues...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:44 pm

Was gonna ask if anyone here's been playing Xenoblade X. I have; it's... interesting. I have a lot of thoughts on it but not really the time to get into them right now. Like Tetsuya Takahashi's older projects, it's a very ambitious and very flawed game, but this time it's flawed in a totally different way than the old ones, and ambitious in a different way as well. (I still haven't played the original Xenoblade, even though I've played all the others.)

There's a Nopon in X voiced by Spike Spencer.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:54 pm

:doh: I completely dropped Xenoblade Chronicles! But I am playing another game that starts with X. It's all the same. Right? Right?!

Maybe I should go ahead and buy X even before I beat Xenoblade (which I've barely even started). Wouldn't want to delay too long and find it's become rare and expensive...
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:17 am

X and Xenoblade's plots are not in any way connected, if anyone is unclear about that

They both borrow general themes and motifs from the previous Xeno games but that's about it.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”