Hardcore Henry

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Hardcore Henry

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:39 pm

Or as I like to call it, FPS: The Movie. Not only is the idea of movie shot entirely in first person a crazy idea on its own, but the action sequences and overall style featured in the trailer looks amazing. https://youtu.be/wv33e0TyL6M

Made by the same guy that put out this music video a few years back: https://youtu.be/Rgox84KE7iY

I'm guessing it gained so much attention that they gave him a budget to do something really big. I can't wait to see more.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: Hardcore Harry

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:22 pm

I feel like I saw something with a similar concept a while back. I'm not sure how I feel about it-- if the buzz is good, I might go see it. I had the idea for a first-person film a few years ago, and it's interesting that I may get to see one made.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Hardcore Henry

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:25 pm

I don't really understand how a first person film is different from a found footage film a la _Blair Witch Project_ or _Cloverfield._ Is it just the fact that we're pretending the viewpoint character doesn't have a camera?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:56 pm

For one, no shaky cam, there's a justifiable in story reason for why the main character has a camera in what would otherwise be an unrealistic scenario. As much as I love Cloverfield it was a bit of a stretch to try and justify why a guy would be recording everything in an otherwise unrealistic premise.

Also, this isn't a "found footage" first person film. So there will be actual stakes and possibility that the main character will live, and not die for someone to "find" the footage later.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:03 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't really understand how a first person film is different from a found footage film a la _Blair Witch Project_ or _Cloverfield._ Is it just the fact that we're pretending the viewpoint character doesn't have a camera?

Whereas this "P.O.V. - The Movie" idea isn't new, I don't think I would compare it to found-footage films. This is more like Enter the Void or Russian Ark with its technique. I mean, granted, he's a cyborg, therefore has a camera and memory storage, so it's technically "found footage," but at the same time the character from who's POV we're seeing is more of an active participant of the narrative, rather than simply being there to watch it happen. He's the protagonist, and not the cameraman with a side-kick roll.

That, and the usage of the camera in found footage films tends to have a bit more play with the fourth wall. The existence of the camera in the universe of the film actually adds a lit of limitations to the movie otherwise not used in most other films. Characters will put the camera down, leave it recording, and walk away from it to do something else for a while. Sometimes that's used to create suspense and tension. In a POV film, none of this is present in the storytelling or the techniques used to convey it. You're stuck with the character, literally inside his head, for the entire movie.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:28 pm

This throws any pretensions about not being a wish fulfillment flick out the window, doesn't it? Looks like it might be a mindless fun ride.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't really understand how a first person film is different from a found footage film a la _Blair Witch Project_ or _Cloverfield._ Is it just the fact that we're pretending the viewpoint character doesn't have a camera?

It's not so much pretending that our viewpoint character doesn't have a camera as an outright insistence that he doesn't. Instead of watching through the protagonist's camera and being aware of that, we're supposed to be watching through the protagonist's own eyes. I think that's pretty cool.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:03 pm

The point is that YOU are the protagonist. The FP perspective makes it easier for projection (another way of putting this would be that it enhances the audience's immersion in the cinematic experience, but that's just marketing). The defining characteristics of a wish fulfillment story are:
1) Protag is audience insert (HH is blatant example of this).
2) Protag is special, has a power/ability/skill no one else has.
2a) Even better if protag has to do literally nothing but be himself to have this power.
3) Super hot chick is in true love with you and always acts on your behalf.
3a) Her existence is defined by her relation to you. In this case, she's the damsel in distress. The MacGuffin.
4) Reality is at your mercy. You are largely powerless to effect the real world. But here you kick ass, have an ideal love and you're the greatest thing in the world. Everything is centered around you.
5) The primary goal of the story is to indulge, to entertain. Not to inspire change or present challenging ideas.

What would really be cool is if HH turned out to be commenting on these kinds of stories. It probably won't though.

I would be interested in watching a psychological thriller/horror film shot from FPP. Something like P.T. (I'm still salty Konami).

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:58 pm

There does not seem to be a problem with something being wish fulfillment if it's a film that you walk out of feeling like you enjoyed yourself.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:15 pm

So like you just jerked off? Kewl. No real problems with that in itself. I guess what's being jerked off to (and by whom) is what's kind of troubling for me.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:32 pm

This film looks like it'll be a cross between the Crank films, the gritty sci-fi of District 9, and any traditional FPS game. I don't expect anything groundbreaking in terms of characters or storytelling, but just like with Crank, I expect an over-the-top and self-indulgent roller-coaster ride that looks like a shooter game. The bit where the elevator opens up and the three guys take a second to react before getting shot looks exactly out of something like Half-Life, Serious Sam, or anything of that nature. Over the last several years, video games have been looking more and more like movies; well, now we have a movie that seems to be actively trying to look like a video game, and not in the way one would normally expect.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:52 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I feel like I saw something with a similar concept a while back. I'm not sure how I feel about it-- if the buzz is good, I might go see it. I had the idea for a first-person film a few years ago, and it's interesting that I may get to see one made.

Doom
did it way back for one scene.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:20 am

Saw this trailer in front of Deadpool and was thoroughly :um-no: . Premise is pure gimmick and far less original than it wants to think it is. Recreating a wholly oversaturated and tired video game genre in a wholly oversaturated and tired cinematic genre, whoopty fucking doo. Also, do we REALLY need another damsel in distress story? REALLY? "I CAN TURN MY CRIPPLED BOYFRIEND INTO A SUPERWEAPON BUT I CAN'T KEEP A IOTA OF THAT POWER FOR MYSELF, ALAS!" Didn't help my reaction any that the previous trailer in the lineup also basically amounted to the whole "little helpless womens need big strong mens to protect/save them" schtick. If we're very lucky there will be something positive enough to compensate for falling back on such a last millennium plot device, but that's probably too much to hope for from the hacks in Hollywood...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:12 pm

This movie looks like it could be either really fun or really stupid or some combination of the two. To be fair it was the least stupid looking trailer I saw when waiting for deadpool (though I think I missed the first one or two trailers so I don't know if they showed anything really good I missed)
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Has anybody watched the music video I linked in the OP? I think that more than anything demonstrates what Ilya Naishuller is capable of shooting on a low budget. The choreography is simply amazing, and I think that is what will also be the highlight of Hardcore Henry. Nevermind the plot or the character, as those will likely be the same recycled tropes we've seen in a million other movies; what I believe will really be impressive about this movie will be how its shot and the details they can fit into each cut.
- Sachi

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:48 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I feel like I saw something with a similar concept a while back.

Was it the Maniac remake?
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:20 pm

This looks like it would give me a headache.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:44 pm

This movie will hold me over until Godzilla.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm

@Reichu: what part of the trailer indicates that it'll be a damsel in distress story? Upon rewatching the trailer, the last shot we see of the girl is when they appear to be escaping in the glass elevator. Perhaps once they're safe she simply stays behind while Henry goes out and wrecks shit.
- Sachi

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:14 am

Nevermind, Reichu. I just saw this version of the trailer (a much better trailer too, if mostly due to Queen), and I see what you mean now. Although, certain other details of the trailer lead me to believe that the wife is going to pull a Total Recall and reveal that she's been working for the bad guys all along.
- Sachi

Return to “Film and Video”