Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:47 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:Like seeing deadpool date a normal girl and acting nice to people felt weird

I thought the whole point of Wade and Vanessa's verbal sparring when they meet is that she isn't "normal" -- she's on the same bizarre wavelength as him, and that's why they click so well. Deadpool's "niceness" is also extremely ... context-specific. I mean, we are talking about the man whose antics certainly killed or injured any number of unseen automobile drivers and passengers. Most movies are just sociopathic when it comes to car chase scenes and the inhuman collateral damage they produce, but at least with Deadpool we have a lead character who probably doesn't give a fuck. (On the other hand, Colossus doesn't so much as hint at all these destroyed lives, so maybe we are just dealing with sociopathic script-writing again... I can't be the only person who has this pet peeve with car chase scenes, right?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:30 pm

I meant like compared to the comics.

In comics up until recently Deadpool was a dick to pretty much everyone. He once shot or stabbed, don't remember,his friend in the leg because he took a nacho from his bowl while they where watching tv. His other friend ,the bartender guy, he once left stranded in an island I think, I forget where, for days and basically left him for dead. And Deadpool doesn't really care cause he is crazy and a dick. He did those kind of things all the time. Then him getting along with X-men is the opposite of the movie. They hate him and he begs to join them. Like the one real friend he had was maybe Cable and the stories kinda implies that the only reason that friendship worked was because Cable was too powerful for Deadpool to hurt. In the movie he is generally nice to the people close to him but in the comics, up until like maybe 2 years ago, this was never really the case.

Deadpool is not boyfriend material. It is just weird to see him date a normal chick to me. Like the comics make it clear that he can't be in a regular relationship. When they finally did give him a girl friend it was a purple monster vampire chick who I think eats people and his older love interest before that was literally the grim reaper. Compared to them the actor lady is normal.

Also when I say crazy I'm talking like Joker levels of insanity. Like there's a fan wank theory that says that the reason him and Joker can break the fourth wall in comics is cause the have the same kinda crazy.

That being said I didn't really mind the changes they made. Like it didn't break the movie for me. It was just weird to me because a lot of the stuff he did was just plain out of character.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Not that I read the comic but I'd hypothesize that Ryan Reynold's Deadpool is not made for the fans of the Deadpool comic book. If it was made for the fans of the Deadpool comic it would be struggling to cross $1 million at the box office. It's made for people who prattle on about all things pop culture and think an Empire Strikes Back reference or Green Lantern knock are the heights of comedic gold.

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby honsou » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Not that I read the comic but I'd hypothesize that Ryan Reynold's Deadpool is not made for the fans of the Deadpool comic book. If it was made for the fans of the Deadpool comic it would be struggling to cross $1 million at the box office. It's made for people who prattle on about all things pop culture and think an Empire Strikes Back reference or Green Lantern knock are the heights of comedic gold.

Naw the way he acts in the movie (besides toning down his dickishness) is basically identical. Breaking the 4th wall, all the pop culture references, that stuff is all over the comic. The only difference is that the pop culture references in the comic would be a bit more obscure, such as thinking Bea Arthur is the sexist woman alive

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:10 am

Yeah I shouldn't have said a lot. I meant just a some things where odd. They did capture a lot of what makes the comic book fun. Like I said the geek in me was just nit picky.
hmmm

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby honsou » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:47 am

Yeah capturing the spirit of a comic is the most important part, changing some of the little details isn't a big deal for me. One of the reasons why I truly loathed Kick Ass is that it took the idea of "being an untrained super hero is really stupid" to "being an untrained super hero will lead to everything truly great in life"

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:18 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Not that I read the comic but I'd hypothesize that Ryan Reynold's Deadpool is not made for the fans of the Deadpool comic book.

Anecdotal evidence this may be, but after the premiere, people I knew wouldn't stop talking about just how faithful Deadpool was to the comics. It certainly adheres quite closely.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:35 pm

"Ryan Reynold's Deadpool is not made for the fans of the Deadpool comic book" probably can't be any further from the truth, considering Deadpool is a rare comic book film that puts the fans first. That's the only reason it has an R -- so that it could adhere to the original material and not require being watered down to the Studio Exec-Preferred PG-13, becoming unrecognizable in the process. A lot of Deadpool's sardonic asides are targeted specifically at his readers, not to mention the film is packed with visual Easter eggs.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:33 pm

I'll buy that. Like I said, I've never read the books so I have no connection or warmth towards the source material.

I think my beef with the film is once you take away Deadpool/Ryan Reynold's fourth wall breaks all that's left is a tedious fucking movie no different from all the other action movies out there. It's just me personally, but you can't call out that your film stars "A Boring British Villain" in the opening credits and then literally waste my time with a boring British villain. I think I just expected more from the film and it really let me down by being so pedestrian.

I think I went in expecting a dark, funny, and really edgy take on comic book movies. Instead, once you take away the pretty sub-standard gore effects, I just found the film to be cute. Soft, fuzzy and cute.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:41 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I think my beef with the film is once you take away Deadpool/Ryan Reynold's fourth wall breaks all that's left is a tedious fucking movie no different from all the other action movies out there. It's just me personally, but you can't call out that your film stars "A Boring British Villain" in the opening credits and then literally waste my time with a boring British villain. I think I just expected more from the film and it really let me down by being so pedestrian.

I think I went in expecting a dark, funny, and really edgy take on comic book movies. Instead, once you take away the pretty sub-standard gore effects, I just found the film to be cute. Soft, fuzzy and cute.

I can't disagree. The real problem was Ajax. He was really, really, really boring, and since he was kinda the keystone of the whole story (being the driving force behind Wade's origin as well as the main villain in the here and now) that's an unforgivable sin. I do think Wade made up for it, though, and that Wade and Vanessa were great together (though that ending was so unbelievably saccharine I was nearly retching when I left the theater -- between that and the boring villain fight the ending was a serious hit to an otherwise solid action flick).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:56 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The real problem was Ajax. He was really, really, really boring(...) I do think Wade made up for it, though, and that Wade and Vanessa were great together

Always nice when we're in agreement for a change. :nyao:

between that and the boring villain fight the ending was a serious hit to an otherwise solid action flick

Yeah, the Deadpool vs. Ajax stuff at the end wasn't too hot. I did enjoy everything with NTW, Colossus, and Angel Dust, though. Plus Vanessa showing a significant capacity for self-preservation was great to see. (I couldn't stop thinking about her hand wound, though. At the end a voice in my head was screaming, "GET THAT WOMAN SOME STITCHES!")
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Now that I think about the Dead pool video game was more faithful to the character/comic than the movie but the movie was funnier. Not that it matters jut sharing. And also yeah hollywood totally ruin "Kick-Ass 2". They went too hollywood and completely abandoned the source material. Luckily in Deadpool those Holloywood tropes like "mandatory romance" didn't ruin it.
hmmm

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:13 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:Now that I think about the Dead pool video game was more faithful to the character/comic than the movie

Doesn't the character change depending on who's writing him?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:29 am

Yeah to a small degree but comic writers have like character bibles that they use. So like at marvel hq where they write there are documents with all of deadpools characteristics and history. Generally all the writers use this to guide their writing. The only time that changes is when the editor decides to change something. So like yeah it's different but not very different.

Then also the game was co written by a guy who was in charge of writing deadpool comic for like 4ish years.
hmmm

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:49 am

I enjoyed Deadpool. It wasn't great or anything, but it was pretty fun to watch.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Couple pieces of news today.
DC released some nice BVS themes variant covers.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs ... nt-a131337

Jeep Commercial that showcases Bruce's view of the attack on Metropolis.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... commercial

A sickly looking Zach Snyder put out a photo with Jason Momoa in a workshop for Justice league Part 1 that starts filming in April.
In the background...
- Flash outfit.
- Mera concept art pasted up.
- 2 statues that could be full body designs for Auqaman.
- Slick jet black suit is a mystery alto their is a table on the other side of the image with a Helmet that looks like it goes with it that could be Ocean master-ish or Ares-ish.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquaman/j ... nd-a131332

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks to the success of Deadpool. Wolverine 3 may get an R-rating.

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/16/wolveri ... -r-rating/
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:03 pm

Would be cool if this started a trend. I wouldn't mind a rated R reboot of ghost rider in the future or maybe like an xmen team spin off or like Dark avengers. Like seriously ghost rider needs a reboot. Sony or who ever owns it is not doing that character justice.

=
hmmm

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:40 am

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:53 am

I'm not exactly keen on a new Wolverine movie getting an R rating since that would mean most of his fanbase wouldn't be able to see it unaccompanied by an adult. It's appropriate for Deadpool, and might be for others, but let Wolverine remain accessible to the people who most enjoy him -- teenaged boys.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Film and Video”