Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Hnnn. On the upside, Elektra looks more like Elektra than Jennifer Garner ever did. On the downside she still doesn't look Greek. One step forward, I guess?

Oh yeah, and Frank. Meh. Hope there's more to the season than him, as I don't think he can carry it by himself.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:02 am

Cool trailer. Although, whilst I have mad love for the Punisher (I actually just read 'Valley Forge, Valley Forge' the other night - easily best Ennis I've ever read), I really don't hope the whole season is hinged around him. Of course, I'm sure it won't be. A whole dedicated arc and a major plot for sure, but just not the entire season. Trailer two will probably focus more on Elektra and the non-Frank Castle stuff.

Also, stating the obvious here; Deborah Ann Woll is gorgeous. Such a great pick for Karen Page.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5lY4b7 ... e=youtu.be

Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds) interviews Wolverine (Hugh Jackman).

Sadly, this is probably the closest we're ever going to get to seeing the characters on the big screen together.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:49 pm

I have no idea why you'd think that, since both Deadpool and X-Men are owned by Fox. Crossovers among one's owned properties are nothing new.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I have no idea why you'd think that, since both Deadpool and X-Men are owned by Fox. Crossovers among one's owned properties are nothing new.

Mostly because Jackman's done playing Wolverine.

Also, dead link is dead.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:20 pm

He said the characters, not the actors. Re-casts happen-- is there a reason to think that we'd never see Wolverine and Deadpool at the same time?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Well, I can't think of anyone who would make a good replacement for Hugh.

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:13 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Sadly, this is probably the closest we're ever going to get to seeing the characters on the big screen together.

No, this is the closest:

- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/cWq9XGTjxd

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:22 am

1) That doesn't count
2)that's a stand in not the actual Ryan Reynolds.

Also. For the love of god take it away! It burns!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:29 am

My point has been made. I just needed to remind everybody of that movie.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/cWq9XGTjxd

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:56 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:No, this is the closest:

I didn't realize how sad this was until you posted this screenshot. Deadpool and Hugh Jackman Wolverine will only (and always) remain stuck in an infuriatingly boring and over-hyped film that ruined fanbases and confused outsiders, forced to replay this incoherent madness every time a TV network is desperate for filling air time.

Now I feel all bummed out.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:29 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:My point has been made. I just needed to remind everybody of that movie.

Looks like one of the ones I haven't seen.

Edit: ah, right. X-Men: Origins. The one you can confidently skip without missing much.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:23 am

I figured there would be a bunch of Deadpool reactions by now. Bizarre.

I had no preexisting interest in the character and was completely oblivious to the hype, but, being a very shallow woman, my boyfriend got me interested simply by telling me, "Apparently there's a scene where he gets pegged by his girlfriend..." And I'm all, "AWESOME! Valentine's Day it is!" It was a fun date movie -- though I assume it's still fun if you go alone or with friends, just in a different way. I didn't really know Deadpool before this, beyond the vaguest awareness that the character existed and had a certain reputation, but Reynolds really knocked it out of the park. The supporting cast is on the whole great, too. (Vanessa, Weasel, Colossus, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Blind Al...) My only real issue is with Ajax, who is an inexcusably boring villain with stupid motivations and even stupider revenge plots. There's something about him and his somber sadism that really doesn't fit in the film's universe; even with Wade firing off hilarious quips left and right, Ajax can't help but drag the mood down into exactly the sort of thing Deadpool knows it doesn't want to be. The main character is more than strong enough to compensate, but it's a pity Deadpool's origin story can't give him an antagonist worthy of him.

The pegging scene wasn't quite as hot as I was hoping, since Wade doesn't seem to be too into it, but there's at least something to be said for a mainstream male movie protagonist to actually be shown willfully engaging in such a thing with his girlfriend at all. It's another step toward the bright future where sexual power dynamics within a couple are much freer and looser, where there's nothing to prove to the other person that stands in the way of experimenting and having fun. Much is being written on various sites about Deadpool's overall progressive and very self-aware take on gender dynamics, including the treatment of female characters. While it fails to pass the Bechdel and Mako Mori tests, and it does unfortunately resort to the "bad guy kidnaps protag's girlfriend" plot coupon toward the end, there is a lot of good stuff happening here. If I weren't about to fall asleep, I'd go further into it, but any number of preexisting editorials are doubtless a quick Google search away.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:43 am

View Original PostReichu wrote: The main character is more than strong enough to compensate, but it's a pity Deadpool's origin story can't give him an antagonist worthy of him.

I started reading Deadpool i think around 2005 and kept up with most his stuff since then. He has never really had a big antagonist like lex luther or the joker. His comic is more of like a joke thing than an action story like most comic books.
I think the only major Baddy he had is some other guy named Wade Wilson who he supposedly replaced (memory wipe shenanigans) but based off the movie I really doubt they'll go that way. And then his other big rival would be Thanos which is definitely not gonna happen because that is the main bad guy of the avengers movies that are coming out in the future and Disney ain't gonna let Fox use him and even if they did I seriously doubt Fox would make a movie about Deadpool vs Thanos because it would too ridiculous.
I figured that they made the main guy boring evil dude was because 1) Deadpool has no major bad guy from the comics and most of the bad guys he does kill are random generic evil dudes 2) Deadpool is more of bad guy than a good guy so you need a pyscho to make deadpool not look so bad. They only started making Deadpool hero-ish in like the last few of years actually. The guy is psycho killer and that is pretty scary since he is arguably the best assassin/mercenary in the whole marvel universe. Like other big name murderous villains are terrified of him and that is saying a lot.

So I guess my point is don't expect him to have interesting villains in the future. And if they do make one it'll most likely be mostly an original creation.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Deadpool's a Marvel Comics character. They've always been more known for their heroes than they were their villains. If you want more variety of rememberable villains, then go to DC Comics.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Eh, I don't really see that as an excuse. The screenwriters were perfectly fine fiddling around with other characters. Ajax himself is not unaltered from the comics, either, as he's been, for example, composited with the mad scientist responsible for Wilson's transformation into Deadpool. There's no real reason why they couldn't have tweaked Ajax to fit the film better and prevent all the needless mood whiplash he causes. I mean, I guess maybe they did it all on purpose and I'm just not cool enough to figure out why. It's also quite possible that a second viewing will change my outlook. We'll have to wait and see.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Theres an honest to god petition to get Deadpool the character to host an episode of Saturday Night Live.

http://www.avclub.com/article/theres-pe ... t-l-232462

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Ryan Reynolds playing a character that will be playing other characters on a live comedy sketch show? I see much potential in this.
- Sachi

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Deadpool was meh. A dull by-the-books comic movie that does very little except a few internet savvy jokes, some tired cursing (The movie follows the throw-a-curse-word-on-another-word-to-be-funny trope through and through - "This guys a fuckweevil. This girl's a shitcontractor.) and Ryan Reynolds doing his damndest to make it all work.

The movie is cute. But it is really dull cause the joke gets old quick.

And Deadpool hosting SNL would actually be a perfect merger. Neither is really funny or will stick with you but they both have their witty moments.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Postby zlink64 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:14 pm

I thought the movie was pretty good. One of the old lady blind jokes had me dying. Only thing I didn't like was that some things felt out of character to me. Like seeing deadpool date a normal girl and acting nice to people felt weird but those complaints are just the comic geek in me nitpicking and I kinda expected that since it's hollywood. Overall I enjoyed the movie a lot. As a fan couldn't really ask for more from the movie.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Return to “Film and Video”