Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Banned

Re: Comic Books?

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:11 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:The 80's and 90's were something I could laugh at when they got to their worst, this just makes me sad and annoyed.
EDIT: wait avengers #200 was in 1980, I retract that statement.

Don't forget, the 90s gave us Liefeld Image. That's just painful to look at.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:15 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Don't forget, the 90s gave us Liefeld Image. That's just painful to look at.

Nah I'm 100% on board with laughing at that, its hilarious at times what he considered to be "good art"
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:34 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Besides the utter pointlessness of this, it's even stupider then it looks, Bor has been dead for Eons (minus a 2 hour at most resurrection in JMS's run), he would never have even heard of freaking Israel barring the unlikely hood that modern geopolitics is a hot topic in the Norse Hel.

And this also shows how the writer jumps to demonize men if given a un-established character.
Bor has had only 2 appearances of note in comics...
1st his resurrection by Loki in JMS's run were his mind was clouded blinding him to the true nature of Midgard resulting in him believing it was a in a demonic hellish state and when he faces Thor he sees a zombie like demon who he presumes stole the Odin force by slaying Odin, he proceeds to show himself to be deeply honor bound and seeks out retribution against this perceived slayer of his loved ones. (Very tragic and moving issue I must say)

And his 2nd appearance, was in X-Factor I think were it is revealed he actually cursed the Disir legion of the Valkyrie not for becoming Cannibals but for basically the Asgardian equivalent of a court Marshal for fraternizing amongst soldiers. Which may have had vaguely sexist implications but apparently the writer here took that as being the single driving aspect of his character for all time and ran it into the ground.

It's not supposed to be taken as literally as you're reading it. Obviously it's an attempt at being humorous that isn't supposed to be taken too seriously. The author isn't actually trying to assert that Bor reads Red Pill forums or cares about the complex political situations in the Middle East. He/she's just comparing his enraged barking to that kind of noise.

Still, I agree that it's bad. All of them are, especially that SJW one. Except it's also kinda funny coz Red Pill type men might think it's an accurate metaphor for what they feel is being done to them. These panels are all being taken out of context, of course, but I feel like it's safe to assume that the comics they're from are as bad as the excerpts make them seem.

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:55 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:In case anyone ever wants to know why I limit myself to a very select amount of comics, shit like this is why:
SPOILER: Show

The 80's and 90's dated themselves in a good and fun way, this is just dating itself horribly.

First one more day and female Thor and now this? When will the maddness end?
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:26 am

Hanna Barbera characters coming to DC: http://www.newsarama.com/27732-flintstones-jonny-quest-scooby-doo-more-come-to-dc.html

I'm somewhat familiar with these characters and their shows, but don't really care for them outside of the parodies done by Venture Bros and others. Probably won't be reading these unless I hear good things about them.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:29 am

So apparently in the late 90s, Morrison, Waid, Millar and some fourth guy pitched a project called Superman 2000, a weekly series that was supposed to revitalise Superman for the new millennium: https://sites.google.com/site/deepspace ... 0-proposal

Pretty wild read as I knew nothing of this before. Even though it was rejected, most of the elements were used or found their way into All-Star, Red Son, Birthright and Morrison's own run on Action Comics for the New 52 among others. How they planned on dissolving Lois and Clark's marriage though; I'm getting an inkling this is where Quesada and crew probably got their idea for One More Day, except Superman 2000 would've been epic, tasteful and - more than likely - actually good. Having said that, I don't feel a particular sense of loss that it wasn't green-lit as I do for something like Moore's Twilight of the Superheroes or Millar's original idea for Civil War as an X-Men story.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 pm

DC is doing something with their line post BVS that is called DC Rebirth.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/25/ ... on-batman/
Will possibly include a new Trinity book and a new Justice SOCIETY of America book!

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:55 pm

Another reboot? Jeez. DC just can't keep their house in order can they?
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:58 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Another reboot? Jeez. DC just can't keep their house in order can they?

It sounds mostly like a book relaunch and at most faint continuity re arangement rather then a full reboot like the start of the new 52.
Marvel has been doing these basically every year and a half sense the end of dark reign.
While for DC this is the first sense 2011.

I just pray for these main things...
1.) Martian Manhunter's ongoing keeps going or gets relaunched.
2.) Ivan Reis & Jason Fabok get put on books I strongly care about.
3.) Guilliem March gets a new longer term interior assignment, he hasn't had one since 2013.
3.) They don't start catering to SJWs like marvel has especially in the main books (to be clear I am absolutely fine with more female titles and female reader aimed titles, just none of that stuff like the Bor mischaracterization mentioned recently or the Diamondback crap)

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:18 am

:slowpoke:

Geez, you guys are behind the eight-ball; this Rebirth crap was announced almost two weeks ago now.

I'm thinking it's just going to be a renumbering and rebranding of sorts hopefully. Snyder is moving to Detective Comics, so that's pretty cool. Not sure how I feel about the main Batman and Superman books going bi-weekly though, even considering the rumoured writers - Tom King (dude who's currently writing Omega Men) for Batman and Peter J Tomasi for Superman - are really good.

I'm worried about losing Sinestro to be honest. I'm hoping so hard for that book to continue as is and with Cullen Bunn writing it. Everything else I'm into at DC at the mo' are limited series and would have finished by then anyway, i.e. American Alien, DKIII, Omega Men and Lois & Clark. My wishlist would be something as follows:

• As mentioned, for Sinestro to continue untouched
  • New Animal Man
  • New Swamp Thing
  • Legion of Super-Heroes written by Jonathan Hickman
  • Something new for Green Arrow; a nice middle-ground between Lemire's modern take and old school, pre-Flashpoint ideologue Ollie
  • Earth-2 retooled; Abnett writing, Jorge Jimenez on art
  • Becky Cloonan and Gerard Way's Doom Patrol to see the light of day
  • An ongoing to follow pre-Flashpoint Superman, Lois and their son Jon (basically for Lois & Clark to continue in some shape or form)
  • A Multiversity/Elseworlds anthology book
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:30 pm

Omega Men #8

So we've finally hit the crux of the series; we now know the goal of the eponymous group and the broad strokes of their backgrounds and motivations, compounding things further in all kinds of shades of grey - up is down, black is white and Arthur is Martha. The reign of the Citadel is further cemented as being monstrous and genocidal for sure, but they too are simply doing what they believe to be for the greater good; sacrificing the few to save the rest of the greater whole in an existential dilemma that his its roots in the fate of Krypton.

"This is what they did to us. This is Voorl."  SPOILER: Show

Another really good issue for Kyle too, as we see a nice little exploration of his Christian faith and worldview, which goes in-hand nicely what with him being the White Lantern/Space Jesus these days. Tom King is quickly becoming a writer to watch, especially if the rumours are true of him taking over Batman come mid-year.

Spider-Man #1 (2016)

The new adjectiveless Spider-Man comic that follows Miles Morales from the now dead Ultimate universe to the new main universe post-Secret Wars - dubbed New Earth - is a good talking point for what's both good and bad about "All-New, All-Different Marvel." Firstly, it's just another wrinkle to what I believe dilutes the brand of the character; he's now not THE SPIDER-MAN of his own home universe, but simply a Spider-Man, another one alongside Peter Parker, the original. From that, I really can't quite grasp this mandate of shoehorning in popular fringe or elseworld elements into the main continuity. Why do people think if you stuff more cool things into the one sandbox haphazardly that it somehow makes it better, or improved, by default?

That said, Spider-Man #1 is actually a pretty good comicbook, and Miles is one of my favourite characters.

One thing that instantly stood out to me, that in this one issue is that Bendis (I'm trying to avoid asking myself the question why I'm still reading books by this douchebag) contrasts what makes Miles so different to Peter better than his whole past five year tenure had done so over in Ultimate.

"I really, really, really wanted to make out with her."  SPOILER: Show

As much as I disklike ol' Bendo, this one really plays to his strengths: Shit talking, snark, cocky dialogue. All his usual writing quirks are here. You name it.

"What on Earth could you have been doing that was more important than reading this book?"  SPOILER: Show

And Sara Pichelli's art is just so good! She's even improved since Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1 came out in 2011 where I didn't believe there would be room for improvement. Oh, and the inking and colouring is all nicely done too. To be honest, the colouring is next level good. On par with FCO's Batman work, easily. Those cute little flashback vignettes are a nice touch as well. Let's just hope the quality continues and gives Miles the respect (and space) he deserves to flourish on his own monthly title.

MM & PP  SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:31 pm

Monday, covers and some details on the new Superman crossover called Super League which is 8 parts.
Apparently the black suited bearded Lois & Clark Superman will be in it you can see him on the first cover.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/ ... 00-154904/

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:56 pm

I want to read it, seeing as it's by Tomasi, good artists and the antagonist is most likely going to be Ulysses, but there's no way I'm going to pick up those other series just to follow it. I might wait until it hits trade. I've never been a fan of the way the Superman family of books handles crossovers.
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Monday your reading Snyder's Batman still right?
What did you think of this past weeks issue?
I found it heartbreaking in a good way! ^_^
Spoilers wait and read until after you read the issue...
SPOILER: Show
Was really hoping we would get Bruce and Madison staying together after he returns to being Batman, but with him loosing his memories of having a relationship with her, it seems unlikely. :um:

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:04 am

Nah, haven't yet. I only just read #48 yesterday actually. The scene with amnesiac Bruce talking with amnesiac Joker was really weird. I'll be sure to let you know what I think of #49 though. I've been loving the Superheavy arc but as enjoyable as it is - just like The Zero Year and all of Snyder's past mega-plots on the title - I feel it's been dragging on far too long now, much more so than necessary. I wouldn't say that his stories are particularly decompressed more that they just always tend to be very big in scope. Can't wait for Bruce to be back in the cape and for Tom King to potentially be taking over post-Rebirth.

:smirk:

I've been catching up on Sinestro today. The current arc is sick, with the battle between the Sinestro Corps and the Paling coming to a head on Earth, and with Black Adam temporarily becoming a member, going toe-to-toe with a possessed Mongul. Awesome stuff. Just a shame Brad Walker is only drawing like 70% of it.
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Warren Peace, #643919

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:46 pm

If they were honest they'd say: "It's really just a marketing campaign."

And it might just work on me. I'll prob check out some of the new stuff and stick with the odd gems I find (if there are any).

Btw, I've been interested in reading Secret Wars. Is the main mini-series all I should read or are any of the tie-ins essential to understanding the story/worth a read?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:51 pm

None of the tie-ins are essential/required. Just read the main sequence and you'll enjoy it, especially considering you've read Hickman's Fantastic Four; it's an awesome endpoint to that, and the whole Hickman Marvel Saga in general. Actually, the New Avengers run leading up to it is probably mandatory - some really cool stuff in there - but you can get by without it if you must.
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:02 am

Jim Lee's design of the 2012 Earth-2 Superman is what the design of the main Superman should have been for the New 52:

Earth-2 Superman  SPOILER: Show

It has a timeless look to it; modern and classic at the same time. I love the regal touch of the cape covering the shoulders, almost like shoulder pads - much like Supes of the early 2000s (see the cover of Action #775 for reference, although not the best example, I just love that issue) - then flowing down back, not to long, nor too short. The chunky, plain red belt with a bit of yellow to break up the blue of the body, standing in for the famous but polarising briefs. No militaristic mandarin collar, pointless lines or seams. Best of all the S-emblem is sharp, new but instantly recognisable as an S, and it's LARGE. I hate it when the shield is too damn small. The thing should be practically shoulder-to-shoulder at its widest points. The best artist to capture this is of course Alex Ross, who's take on the classic design is the definitive one, hands down.

I don't usually geek out about superhero costumes but when I was reminded of Jim Lee's Earth-2 design above, I can't help but think that it would've been the perfect look for Morrison, Waid and Millar's Superman 2000 pitch I posted about earlier.
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:25 pm

So I'm just going to say it, marvels spiderwoman is gimmicky bullshit, example a:
Don't link to piracy sites. -NemZ
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”