Serious Discussion

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Serious Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:44 pm

So I've noticed a new subforum. Care to tell us some more about it, Staff?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Serious Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:50 pm

The nature (and even existence) of this subforum is still somewhat in debate backstage, and last I checked we weren't actually ready to make it publicly available yet so I'm not really sure what is going on there in all honesty. We began consolidating threads into it from page 6 of OT onwards specifically to avoid notice until we were sure how we wanted to proceed... which we are not. :huh:

All posters should be aware it may go dark again at any point, possibly to stay that way.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:54 pm

It is felt by some that serious off-topic discussion (news and the like), which tends to be more earnest than more jocular subjects lead to, should be segregated. This has a number of effects: first, those who wish not to bother with it can simply not look at that subforum; secondly, in the new forum software it is possible to issue forum-specific bans, so bad behaviour limited to that area could be punished in that area; thirdly, the subforum can possibly develop a style of its own which people can become comfortable with.

Where I've done this elsewhere, we also had slightly different rules for this kind of subforum, but I don't know if that will happen (or be made clear) here - but in my experience this structure worked to improve a forum overall.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Something went wrong and the new subforum went live while it was still being debated whether it should exist at all. Sorry about that, everybody.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:05 pm

^ So a better name for it would be "Schrödinger's Subforum", the subforum that is there yet not there. ^_^
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Its existence depends on the observer, so maybe it's Heisenberg's forum....
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”