3.33 English dub released, your thoughts [on the dub] after watching?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sakura Shiro
Embryo

3.33 English dub released, your thoughts [on the dub] after watching?

•      
  •      

Postby Sakura Shiro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:55 am

mind you, I'm aware that its only been about 8 days or so since release; however for anyone who has seen it, what are your thoughts?
I watched it, cringed, hoped on Anno's ass that Funimation had redone the script/Voice acting--and had worked along with Studio Khara and refined the script within the 3 years of English dub release, however that just doesn't seem present... :um:
Its fortunate; living one more life than the ordinary person. One life, dedicated to the life I live. The other, to escape that one other life through art. When I die, I want my art to live on. -Rose Fellelyn

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: 3.33 English dub released, your thoughts after watching?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:08 am

I didn't see the original dub, so I have no comparison; all I know in that respect is that there was some re-recording, as Spike Spencer tweeted about it.

As to the outcome, it seems to me satisfactory as a continuation from the previous films. Of course, as always, there are possible quibbles over tone or translation; but being someone who prefers dubs to subs when possible, I found the overall experience positive - the mood of some scenes definitely came over to me even better than before.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sakura Shiro
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sakura Shiro » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:31 am

its really good tho, in regards with you enjoying the overall experience pwhodges ^_^ however, as someone who bought the original in Japan and can fluently translate and understand Japanese; then to compare to the original i felt it was rather cringing to watch....

mind you tho, i do normally prefer the Japanese cast; but then again i also have favourites for the English cast, (i.e. Alison Keith, Tiffany Grant, Caitlin Glass, Colleen Clinkenbeard...) i found the Japanese version to be much more suited/natural to the context within each scene of the movie.

i dunno, the translations also made out the relationship intended behind the Japanese version with Asuka and Misato to be much more close compared to the English dub. In the very least close for the pair in comparison with Shinji or anybody else (as theres formality with every other line) -- "I count on you" just before Unit 02 was relaunched for the Launch of the Wunder sequence is just an example...

i dunno, in all i prefer the Japanese translations; but i have to admit there were some real golden nuggets with some of the English dub lines ^_^
Its fortunate; living one more life than the ordinary person. One life, dedicated to the life I live. The other, to escape that one other life through art. When I die, I want my art to live on. -Rose Fellelyn

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:50 pm

There's no comparison between it and the sub, of course, but as I've noted elsewhere Alison Keith's performance was quite good. The rest of the adult cast was serviceable, but the kids were absolutely grating to my ears.

I'm not a huge fan of the translations; I know that several forum regulars (and Thora before them) concluded that many of the lines were more nuanced than they appeared at first blush, and they avoided a couple of obvious errors found in the official dub and sub (Kaworu's line about becoming the 13th being the most egregious, with Asuka's line to Shinji telling him to stand down being a close second).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:14 pm

If there's no comparison, why would someone bother watching it?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Because different people have different requirements or preferences.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:36 pm

The NTE dubs are adequate, I've enjoyed seeing Spike Spencer and Tiffany Grant back in their roles.

But in terms of Q, I've found the sub superior than normal, especially during the launch of Wunder. The dub cast in that scene just seems so bored, whereas in the sub the voice acting gives me chills. Most of the dub actors appear to just not take the art as seriously I guess.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Heh! I particularly noted in those early Wunder scenes how much more clearly I got from the dub the sense of the crew being raw and inexperienced.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:48 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:If there's no comparison, why would someone bother watching it?

Because for many people the nuance of the VAs' preformances is not terribly important, and more importantly some find it difficult to keep track of what's going on while reading subs. If putting up with dubs gets rid of a distraction that gets in the way of enjoying the show it's a fine tradeoff.

And when I say "there's no comparison" that should be read with an implicit "in my opinion" attached. There's no comparison for me, so I'll never bother watching the dub again. But that's just me. Other people have other needs and priorities, so they might find the dub perfectly suitable.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:09 pm

And can the EoE dub be enjoyed, even with it's errors?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Yes, it can. But there's no point in having a simple sub versus dub argument here. In any case, there are also disputed translations in the subs ("... let me kill you"), so really if you want to be purist you shouldn't watch the film at all until your Japanese is sufficiently fluent.

Toonsis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toonsis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:41 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie on a much grander scale dubbed than subbed. Then again, before I watched FUNi's home release, I only watched the movie once in terrible quality with god-awful subtitles back in 2012, so it was wonderful watching it in full HD splendor. Basically, it was like watching the movie for the first time, thus certainly making up for a bad first experience of the film. Gotta say, though, Funimation's home release has awfully faint audio. I'm a bit biased considering I prefer dub over sub, that being the case, I suppose that changes things.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:01 pm

I haven't watched 3.0 Dubbed in full yet, I am going to watch 1.0 & 2.0 again first, it's been a good number of months since I watched them, but I watched a few scenes last night (opening, Wunder battle, Shinji being taken from Willie) all the voices spouting technical stuff sounded good, When Asuka started to talk, honestly It felt out of place at first but as it went on she got stronger. Scenes with the Wunder Battle with Misato & Ritsuko were full on great, had me absolutely giddy, I was all "this feels right, I am right back in this world"
Scene of unit 9 taking Shinji was fantastically done, Spencer and the VA for Sakura was very strong here IMO, I don't remember the music during this scene being this phenomenal when I watched it subbed but it is epic.

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:And why would someone choose to watch the film, even with an error like this?

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:And can the EoE dub be enjoyed, even with it's errors?

Emotion.
For me I hear much more emotion in the dub then subbed, Misato's final moments with Shinji in eoe nearly brought me to tears in the dub, but I went back and re watched that scene subbed and did not get near the nuance and range in her voice. (not at all saying it's not there, just that I did not feel it)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:03 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Emotion.
For me I hear much more emotion in the dub then subbed, Misato's final moments with Shinji in eoe nearly brought me to tears in the dub, but I went back and re watched that scene subbed and did not get near the nuance and range in her voice. (not at all saying it's not there, just that I did not feel it)

I felt exactly the opposite. To me the English dub version of that scene was one of Keith's worst performances in the whole of the franchise, and sounded cartoonish and forced. Meanwhile I listen to the Japanese dub and it comes across (at least to me) as a real person making an impassioned plea.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:07 pm

When i'm already conflicted as to whether or not i should watch Eva dubbed, your'e not exactly making me feel better

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:13 pm

It's probably best to just watch it yourself and see what you think. This isn't a matter of objective truth; different people see things differently, so what works for some won't work for others and vice versa. The only way to learn how you feel about it is to watch it yourself and draw your own conclusions.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Meanwhile I listen to the Japanese dub and it comes across (at least to me) as a real person making an impassioned plea.

Thing is, I find it far, far easier to attach the emotional expression in the voice to words I understand than to sounds I don't, even if subtitles give their meaning. So hearing the bridge bunnies in English gave me a far better impression of their bumbling than merely reading the words and hearing some Japanese spoken. And I think movieartman is saying the exact same thing.

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:55 pm

I'm glad Khara came in and fixed the voice work. One scene in particular with Misato trying to pursue
Eva 13 realising she can't due to engine failure, she's says Shinji-kun in the Japanese release however how the actress conveys it, Misato sounds almost remorseful.
Contrast that with her english counterpart, Alison Keith, who belts it out with gritted teeth whilst gargling gravel. She's sounds anything but remorseful.
I watch and speculate.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:08 pm

For me it's simply that the caliber of voice acting used in Funimation dubs is several times lower than the caliber of voice actors used in the original dub. Dub translations of any kind usually get the shaft when it comes to how much money the dubbing studio is going to put into their casting. Disney is the only studio that can get away with getting Patrick Stewart or Christian Bale to act in the English dubs, so at least the caliber of actors are on par with those in the original Japanese dubs. With Funimation, on the other hand, half of their cast usually sound like they would be more comfortable reading off the menu options of an automated answering machine.

That's why I tend to prefer the subs more. It's also lets me critique/study Anno's ability to direct his voice cast. I can't see how Anno's directing influenced Megumi Ogata's acting if I'm listing to Spike Spencer instead.

TonyTH
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TonyTH » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:05 am

I am by no means being a dub defender here. But I imagine it's super hard when it's very confusing what all has happened during the time gap and how new characters are supposed to come across in this movie compared to the others. Especially all the Wunder stuff. You are thrown into a lot of new and crazy bullshit from the start of the movie, and I'm sure it was really hard to nail all those little details. Especially when apparently Khara was super anal about just translation itself.

Asuka calling Unit 2 "Unit 2 Improved" just sounded super clunky. But I remember hearing stories from the old ADV dub commentaries about them fighting for lots of little things like that. They wanted to call Shinji "The Third Children". They had to sit and explain to them that he needs to be the "Third Child", because that kind of stuff doesn't make sense in English. I've only seen a little of the dub, but I can tell there were probably heavy back and fourths with probably every line. So when it's time to perform them, they're probably not AS concerned with that as just getting it sounding okay and releasing this movie that's been in development hell for two years done.

And once again, not defending. I'm just saying it was probably super hard in this particular case. Especially when the original was just done with Anno directing everything, and him having all the answers and how he wants everything to be in his head exclusively. It's not going to be anywhere near as spot on just for that reason alone. I'm just saying I sympathize a little bit because I'm sure it was a clusterfuck.

Also Funi is known for taking liberties for like, no reason. So I was really pissed they changed Mari's line about hating young men. So count me in for being happy with the dub for just fucking changing that back. It was changed for absolutely no reason because Funi likes do go their own way so much.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”