Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Re: Comic Books?

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:14 pm

The ending of Secret Wars #9 made me feel incredibly happy and upbeat. Ribić outdid himself with the artwork - the visuals of God Doom fighting Black Panther wielding an Infinity Gauntlet, using all of existence against each other, is sure not to be forgotten any time soon - and I love how Hickman bookended it all using that scene from the start of his New Avengers run, with T'Challa and the young Wakandan initiates. A good ending to the Marvel universe that was in my opinion.

Oh, and in other news, looks like DC are going to be relaunching again: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/22/ ... t-tweeted/

Seems like it's just going to be a renumbering really, like what Marvel have done a couple times since the advent of the New 52. In light of this, Snyder's going to be heading back to Detective Comics after #52 of Batman, which is his final issue collaborating with Greg Capullo. I can dig it, because The Black Mirror, the twelve issues or so he did on 'Tec prior to the New 52, is probably one of my favourite Batman stories of all-time.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:22 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Oh, and in other news, looks like DC are going to be relaunching again: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/22/ ... t-tweeted/

Oddly timed JUST after cass cain was re-introduced into the universe, now I'm not implying didio is a hack who hates cass enough to reboot his companies universe several times to avoid her but im totally implying that.
Seriously though DC is failing to make me care at this point, why get invested when its all going to be reset some time later? (And not in a cool "implemented into the storytelling" way like higurashi, no just the "fuck you, your characters are back to square one" way)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:59 pm

I don't think it will effect continuity in any way, other maybe than some soft retconning, but just a renumbering (a la Marvel Now from two years ago and the current All-New All-Different Marvel) to boost sales which DC sorely needs at the moment. Numbering is mostly superfluous these days anyway as the Big Two are treating their series more and more like TV seasons, which is sensible in some respects. Whenever a title hits a milestone number especially, e.g. Uncanny X-Men #600, which was #40 or so out of the sequence of the then current series.

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Cass Cain...

I'm not reading the Batman & Robin Eternal weekly but I like what they're doing with Cass and Harper:

SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Eh, I decided not to read that because Cass's costume bothers the hell out of me, both her batgirl and black bat costumes looked pretty damn good, comparatively the face paint is really off-putting.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:27 pm

My sister asked if I'd want to go to Boston Comic Con with her. I pay basically zero attention to western comics but apparently William Shatner will be there.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:35 am

OMFG, Superman: American Alien #3 had me in stiches start to finish. DC should give Max Landis Action Comics after the relaunch:

More hilarity from last week, albeit unintentional; Extraordinary X-Men #5:

:hitthetable:
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:46 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:OMFG, Superman: American Alien #3 had me in stiches start to finish. DC should give Max Landis Action Comics after the relaunch:

So then who's the guy pretending to be Bruce?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:57 am

A 21 year old Clark Kent.
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:59 am

Is the red haired girl Lana Lang?
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:01 am

Barbara Ann Minerva, I think. It's not specifically stated.
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:36 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:OMFG, Superman: American Alien #3 had me in stiches start to finish. DC should give Max Landis Action Comics after the relaunch:

So Clark is playing at being Bruce? Holy shit!

More hilarity from last week, albeit unintentional; Extraordinary X-Men #5:

Did someone just break Sinister's back?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:02 am

It's not a status quo or anything. American Alien is a mini-series of one-shot, self-contained stories. I like the way Landis describes it in this interview, which is what made me decide to check it out: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/01/13 ... ican-alien

Max Landis wrote:This isn't one Superman adventure story; it's seven short stories from Clark's life, all of which represent important junctures in his development as a person, but none of which can really be pointed at with any certainty as "this made him who he is." It's really more meant as a tone poem, so to speak... Issue one is heart-warming, two is brutal, three is sexy, four will make you think, five's thrilling, six might make you cry and seven has the most violent fight you've ever seen featuring Clark Kent. It's worth your money. This has been my dream since I was ten years old. Come on this journey with me and Clark.
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:15 pm

10 Reasons Why Brandon Graham's Prophet is the Best Sci-Fi Comic Today

Sold. I both love and hate articles like these. It's intrigued me enough to try out the series but I keep ordering way too many comics for my own good. Fuck it.
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:27 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:10 Reasons Why Brandon Graham's Prophet is the Best Sci-Fi Comic Today

Sold. I both love and hate articles like these. It's intrigued me enough to try out the series but I keep ordering way too many comics for my own good. Fuck it.

Hmmm. I might check out the omnibus editions once the new series is concluded.

What is it about Liefeld's/Image's comics that invites other creators to grab 'em and run with 'em? We saw this with Alan Moore and Supreme, Warren Ellis and Stormwatch/The Authority, and probably others I'm forgetting.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:48 am

Say what you will about Liefield, there is a lot to say. He plays by his own rules, and what he creates is memorable and iconic. Sometimes for the wrong reasons, but it is memorable.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:11 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:10 Reasons Why Brandon Graham's Prophet is the Best Sci-Fi Comic Today

That looks awesome. Gonna have to check it out.

Years ago I read the 11 issue continuation of Liefeld's Glory by Joe Keatinge and Sophie Campbell and remember liking it. Especially the art. I like Campbell's re-design and her art style is generally much better.

I might read Liefeld's original just to see how much my appreciation of the newer work increases.

What is it about Liefeld's/Image's comics that invites other creators to grab 'em and run with 'em? We saw this with Alan Moore and Supreme, Warren Ellis and Stormwatch/The Authority, and probably others I'm forgetting.

Probably just Image trying to make use of their pre-existing copyrights. It also gives the creators a base to work with and improve upon and do almost whatever they want with. From what I can tell, Keatinge heavily altered Glory's backstory, among other things.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:06 am

In case anyone ever wants to know why I limit myself to a very select amount of comics, shit like this is why:

The 80's and 90's dated themselves in a good and fun way, this is just dating itself horribly.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:19 am

Can't agree with the 80s (much less the 90s), but that's freakin' horrible. There's a reason I stick with manga these days . . .

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:45 am

The 80's and 90's were something I could laugh at when they got to their worst, this just makes me sad and annoyed.
EDIT: wait avengers #200 was in 1980, I retract that statement.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:06 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Image

Besides the utter pointlessness of this, it's even stupider then it looks, Bor has been dead for Eons (minus a 2 hour at most resurrection in JMS's run), he would never have even heard of freaking Israel barring the unlikely hood that modern geopolitics is a hot topic in the Norse Hel.

And this also shows how the writer jumps to demonize men if given a un-established character.
Bor has had only 2 appearances of note in comics...
1st his resurrection by Loki in JMS's run were his mind was clouded blinding him to the true nature of Midgard resulting in him believing it was a in a demonic hellish state and when he faces Thor he sees a zombie like demon who he presumes stole the Odin force by slaying Odin, he proceeds to show himself to be deeply honor bound and seeks out retribution against this perceived slayer of his loved ones. (Very tragic and moving issue I must say)

And his 2nd appearance, was in X-Factor I think were it is revealed he actually cursed the Disir legion of the Valkyrie not for becoming Cannibals but for basically the Asgardian equivalent of a court Marshal for fraternizing amongst soldiers. Which may have had vaguely sexist implications but apparently the writer here took that as being the single driving aspect of his character for all time and ran it into the ground.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”