Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Comic Books?

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:54 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Ahahahaha that's amazing. We heard you, feminists! We're going to dress all our female superheroes in leather pants, jackets, and mohawks now. Here, we'll prove how feminist we are by equating a skintight costume to sucking dick for money!

Marvel and DC will error on the side of Caution rather than look bigoted or anti progressive.

Marvel made Thor a woman, they made Ms Marvel CAPTAIN Marvel, DC rebooted Wonder Woman into an outright dominatrix who all but RAPES Steve Trevor, both companies are self-censoring themselves by not letting their artists draw women in evocative poses to avoid media shit-storms like with the Spider-Woman 'Butt Pose' cover or the Batgirl 'Killing Joke' cover, and overall the stories are becoming more and more bland and samey, and more and more both companies seem to be putting female characters on pedestals where they can't experience real violence or change as characters, sometimes even to the expense of improving a story. All because they're afraid of being condemned in the court of public opinion by the vocal minority who don't read their comics anyway.

To make this conversation less depressing. I got a new omnibus of EERIE Horror Comics.

For those of you who don't know what EERIE is, it's a companion Horror comic series to CREEPY that has been running since the 60's. Originally oublished in Magazine format, which allowed them to find a loophole in the comics code to get away with a lot more risque content. Like violence and nudity, and gave the artists a lot more free reign.

CREEPY is more outright horror, while EERIE is more pulp adventure with horror aspects to it. the former is Tales from the crypt, while the latter is twilight zone.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:54 am

Carol Danvers becoming Captain Marvel was just the natural evolution of her character though, she was going this way for years and im all the more glad for it, her new costume looks great and the title of captain goes well with her piloting background.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:48 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Carol Danvers becoming Captain Marvel was just the natural evolution of her character though, she was going this way for years and im all the more glad for it, her new costume looks great and the title of captain goes well with her piloting background.

It also puts one more source of confusion to bed, as distinguishing between her and the various Captain Marvels was always a pain. Now there's just one "Marvel", and it's her, so problem solved.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:57 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:DC rebooted Wonder Woman into an outright dominatrix who all but RAPES Steve Trevor,

Your talking about Morrison's Earth One graphic novel right?

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:06 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:1.) Carol Danvers becoming Captain Marvel was just the natural evolution of her character though
2.) her new costume looks great and the title of captain goes well with her piloting background.

1.) I semi agree, but at the same time they have kinda made her a generic space cop now at the same time, she has no... (to use a term I hate) Edge to her, like in Secret Invasion she dragged a Skrull out to space just so she could sadistically watch it slowly suffocate. They have nutered her character from what I can tell, and also made her a Hypocrite, in Ultimates she is preaching down to Blue Marvel that she would be fighting against him if he was making this team just to be a new illuminati and yet she is perfectly going along with making huge galaxy wide decisions without consulting any of the alien races that will be effected.
2.) How much I like the outfit is dependant on the individual artist, like Kris Anka who designed it always seems to be going out of his way to make her as manly as possible.
Mark Brooks on the other hand makes it and her look absolutely gorgeous.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:03 pm

Your talking about Morrison's Earth One graphic novel right?

Yes. Yes I am. If that had been a male character doing that to a female superhero, right now there would be a total SJW China syndrome on the interwebs right now. It's a sick double standard. Companies empower female characters and emasculate the male characters in the name of avoiding controversy and appealing to the vocal minority, so much for the equality of the sexes.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:38 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Yes. Yes I am. If that had been a male character doing that to a female superhero, right now there would be a total SJW China syndrome on the interwebs right now. It's a sick double standard. Companies empower female characters and emasculate the male characters in the name of avoiding controversy and appealing to the vocal minority, so much for the equality of the sexes.

You're the vocal minority, dude. Everyone else seems to love it. And Morrison's take does match up pretty closely with that of WW's creator, so it's not like the character's being perverted somehow. She's exactly as she always was, for better or worse.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:40 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Yes. Yes I am. If that had been a male character doing that to a female superhero, right now there would be a total SJW China syndrome on the interwebs right now. It's a sick double standard. Companies empower female characters and emasculate the male characters in the name of avoiding controversy and appealing to the vocal minority, so much for the equality of the sexes.

You need to spend less time in the manosphere.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:13 pm

My haul from the online Boxing Day sales has finally (mostly) arrived...

SPOILER: Show

:jiggy:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:15 pm

STEVE IS BACK AS CAP!
Apparently him and Falcon will both be 2 separate Captain Americas simultaneously.
http://marvel.com/news/comics/25640/the ... ca_returns
Jesus Saiz was fantastic on his art I have seen in Swamp Thing, so I am all down for him.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:19 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:STEVE IS BACK AS CAP!

Status quo is god -_-
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:42 pm

Ugh, they are doing ANOTHER line wide Superman crossover immediately after Truth is done...

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:51 pm

Yeah, it's a little much, considering 'Truth' made me drop Action to be honest but not for obvious reasons. I actually really like the idea of a depowered Superman - his powers back to 1938 levels, and the narrative being more socially conscious and topical; fighting for the poor, et cetera - but the tedious side plot with Wrath, and the fact that Kuder wasn't drawing most of it (Scott Kolins is harsh on the eyes and a poor stand-in), killed it completely for me. I did read the start of 'Savage Dawn' though via the annual and the recent issue of Action. It was good, but finding out I had to read through other series to continue it sealed the deal. I don't play that shit.

MA, you should check out Lois & Clark and American Alien. Easily best Superman stuff coming out at the moment. Between those two, Batman, DKIII, Omega Men, Green Lantern and Sinestro; DC are keeping me quite happy overall.

Also, I just read a rumour that Jonathan Hickman is lined-up to do an Eternals series at Marvel now that Secret Wars is finished. "Fuck yeah," I say.
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:31 am

Sinestro? How is that guy still allowed to run around free?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:39 am

So the star wars Marvel comics series running right now are mostly all pretty damn good, the standout example being the Darth Vader one, It feels so in character at all times and the guy always has a presence on panel, I just read everything in James Earl Jones's voice.
Best part is, its expanding on vaders character without ruining or contradicting it *cough* prequels *cough*

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:41 am

I have been told to read the new Marvel Star Wars comics. I admit hesitancy, because I grew up on the Dark Horse comics (Tales of the Jedi, Boba Fett, Dark Empire...which admittedly some were silly at times, but always engaging in one form or another). The more I hear, though, the more interested I am in the new comics.

Still...miss Dark Horse.

Sad pandas.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:03 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Sinestro? How is that guy still allowed to run around free?

It's a pretty cool time to be reading Lantern comics I reckon, even though there's a vocal majority who disagree: The Green Lantern Corps in their entirety have disappeared without a trace (seemingly displaced in time), Hal's a wanted space pirate rocking a wicked look (and an even wickeder weapon), and the Sinestro Corps have risen up in the vacuum taking on the role of policing the galaxy (their old mandate of control via fear; Sinestro being a magnificent bastard basically). Coupled with the fact that I'm also working my way through the Johns' GL omnibuses, it's made me realise the past decade and a bit has really been something of a Green Lantern renaissance. Good freakin' comics all round.
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:35 pm

I love this comic:

(open the image in a new tab for the full size)

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:56 pm

New Thunderbolts ongoing............. with art by Liefeld 2.0 (you think i'm joking/exaggerating, I'm really really not)
:cringe:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... -zub-malin

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:05 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I love this comic:

(open the image in a new tab for the full size)

That panel alone is making me want to crack open an issue and see what's inside of it. It's a powerful picture: Darth Vader, alone and unafraid, surrounded by hundreds of armed soldiers. And I agree, Rose-- I can hear James Earl Jones too!

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”