FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FML general thread [7]

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:12 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:but if things get to the point where they're struggling, or where they seem to be in pain, it's wrong to prolong their misery for our sake.
That's the worst of it. Over the summer, the first indication that she was having trouble with some of her teeth was when a massive abscess puffed up one cheek, but she gave no sign that she was in pain. So I don't know how much discomfort she had been in even before it came to the point where she had clearly just stopped working properly, let alone during the cold winter's night before I could do anything about her condition.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:39 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That's the worst of it. Over the summer, the first indication that she was having trouble with some of her teeth was when a massive abscess puffed up one cheek, but she gave no sign that she was in pain. So I don't know how much discomfort she had been in even before it came to the point where she had clearly just stopped working properly, let alone during the cold winter's night before I could do anything about her condition.

It can be hard with cats, as outside of a handful of breeds they just aren't as communicative as, say, dogs are (or rather, they're far more likely to keep their cards close to their chest). And yes, being forced to wait to act while a loved one is in pain is the worst feeling in the world. But these things are out of our control -- all we can do is act when we're able, and try to do right. That's all any of us can ask.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Sorry about your cat, Tines.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:26 pm

RIP kitty :( I was raised similarly to Bags where you do what you can for your pets, but when it's their time to go, certainly let them go with dignity.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:25 pm

It's the best thing to do, at times. It's all good: that cat looked like she lived a damn good life.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:14 am

I lost a friend to radicalization. When you know and care about someone and they become someone else, someone worse, it hurts so much that you can hardly stand it.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:13 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'm not sure how much ahead of nature the intervention came, but it would have eased her passage.

Aww, man. Sorry to hear that, Tines. I think you made the right choice though. I've had to make the decision to put a cat down before as well and it tore me up. I'm a cat guy, so yeah... RIP, Jemima.

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I lost a friend to radicalization.

Far out. What kind of radicalisation if you don't mind me asking?
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 am

I suppose radicalization isn't the right word. Derealization is probably more accurate. She went from being an intelligent, if insecure girl to letting the otherkin fantasy more or less control her, to the point that she's no longer the person i was friends with.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:36 pm

This otherkin nonsense really needs to die, Its the extreme form of being a special fucking snowflake, but TDK here's what you do: Ignore her.
The entire thing is just a "I need attention!" call anyway so if you ignore her she will either go back to normal or just retreat further into insanity, either way its not your problem there.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:36 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:She went from being an intelligent, if insecure girl to letting the otherkin fantasy more or less control her
And there was I wondering whether the loss was a result of detonation in a public space.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:43 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: I'm not sure how much ahead of nature the intervention came, but it would have eased her passage.

My condolences. It's always a difficult decision to put a beloved pet down, having been through it myself, it tore me up good for awhile. RIP Jemima.

Absolutely dead tired and feeling pretty drained. Been a hellish week at work between having to do a deep cleaning as per our DM's orders along with working a split shift yesterday and not getting home until after 1 in the morning and having to get up to open today and finish all the paint projects we started last night. Had a headache from all the paint fumes as well as fumes from the lacquer thinner my boss was using for what he was working on so I didn't get to sleep right away. Poor ventilation in that part of the building, and there was not much we could do about it, but we got the job done regardless, just with lots of breaks for fresh air.

Our dog also had to have all but two of her teeth extracted yesterday, which was quite upsetting. She's doing well and eating just fine, despite her mouth being pretty sore I'm sure. The vet assures us she'll be just fine, aside from changing some feeding habits to make it easier for her to eat, which we have already done of course with no issues at all. According to the vet, they adapt pretty quickly which helps knowing that. The good thing to come out of it is two teeth were infected, so it was a very good thing those were taken out. It's all still upsetting though, but aside from napping a lot today, she seems to be her usual happy self.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Biiig snow storm arriving tomorrow. My area is supposed to get anywhere between 1 to 3 feet of snow over the course of the next 2 days. This means I'll most likely be missing at least one day of work, maybe 2, because the snow plows don't reach where I live. Even if the main road gets cleared I still have over a tenth of a mile of driveway to shovel if I want to go anywhere. Like I said the storm is going to last 2 days and we're supposed to have a foot by just noon tomorrow, so yeah, that's going to be a shitload of shoveling by the time it's all over. :uhh:

Oh and Tines... sorry about your cat. That sounds rough.
[Redacted]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:17 am

I feel like wanting to smack my hand over nephew for using the N word, and tell him if he goes over to America he can't use it unless he wants to get shot at for, um, "cultural appropriation".

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:59 pm

So three weeks after having a pretty bad flu that left me with some sore ribs and a cough, one week after going on holiday and resting quite well, and four days after going back to work and it being fucking cold again at work for no discernible reason, I wake up with a sore throat and dead tired (sick, again :deskbang: ). Decided to stay home (with the heater turned up) to prevent it from getting worse.

Next week I'm going bak to work, will dress up warm and take something to cover my neck and protect it from the cold draft, and complain (for the fifth time or so in three months) about the cold draft again. And if they don't do anything about it this time I'll complain to someone who can force them to do something about it. :bat:
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Left arm hurts from the elbow down. Probably has something to do with the double unit of red cells that I donated today. Owwie.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Could be worse, Nuke. There's a place in my town that buys blood plasma, but just the plasma... they cool it for storage, filter it, then put the red cells and some saline back in, at which point it's almost literally putting ice water in your veins. A gaming buddy of mine did that for a while when he was between jobs and he looked like a damn zombie after his donations, which could be up to 10 times a month for like $30 bucks a shot.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:04 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Could be worse, Nuke. There's a place in my town that buys blood plasma, but just the plasma... they cool it for storage, filter it, then put the red cells and some saline back in, at which point it's almost literally putting ice water in your veins. A gaming buddy of mine did that for a while when he was between jobs and he looked like a damn zombie after his donations, which could be up to 10 times a month for like $30 bucks a shot.

Sounds...painful. Also, 10 times a month? Don't they have quotas on how often one can donate and stay healthy? :huh:
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:08 am

Yeah, but putting the cells back raises the recovery rate significantly which is why they do it. Plasma is much more easily replaced than blood as a whole.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Wow, it's been a while sense I posted here, but I guess it's something I need to get off my chest now. ;_;

Just recently, I ended a friendship that I felt I needed to end because of how strenuous it was getting. But because of how I ended it and how I worded it, I came across colder and more like a jerk than I intended. *sigh* I just hope that my former friend is going to be okay and I wish that I had worded it better when I ended it. I don't want to come across as cold and like a jerk when people hear about me. ;_;
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Are you sure you're not just being too hard on yourself? There's never a easy or painless way to end things with someone you actually care about so there's bound to be negativity involved no matter what you do. Sounds to me like you did the best you could, which is about all you can really hope for. :shrug:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”