My Cousin's Coming Over to Watch Eva this Weekend...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

My Cousin's Coming Over to Watch Eva this Weekend...

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:39 pm

Any suggestions? I mean, anything I should do to prepare her for it? I wouldn't exactly say I'm nervous, but kinda anxious for her to see it. I really hope she "gets" it enough to like it...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:41 pm

In terms of viewing order: 1 thru 24' (DC episodes of 21' thru 24') episodes, then EoTV (since it helps makes sense with what's going on in EoE and all ;)) then EoE.

Personally, I'd skip Death(true^2) since its just a clips shows, though a damn good one at that.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:43 pm

you need at least a good block of 15 hours and a comfortable viewing area free of interruptions. Otherwise, don't try.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Watch the series, then watch EoE, then Re-watch EoE with the commentary. It makes EoE a lot easier to understand/ really funny at times...
The fate of distruction is also the joy of rebirth.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: My Cousin's Coming Over to Watch Eva this Weekend...

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:54 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:My Cousin's Coming Over to Watch Eva this Weekend...Any suggestions?

Set aside a bottle of Zoloft...just in case.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Hailtheplatypus wrote:Watch the series, then watch EoE, then Re-watch EoE with the commentary. It makes EoE a lot easier to understand/ really funny at times...

You're going to hell for that one.

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:38 pm

BobBQ wrote:
Hailtheplatypus wrote:Watch the series, then watch EoE, then Re-watch EoE with the commentary. It makes EoE a lot easier to understand/ really funny at times...

You're going to hell for that one.

Already there... Already there... but the commentary is rather funny, or I could have just been going insane when I watched it.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Just don't take it too seriously. Keep in mind that a lot of what they say in the commentary is wrong.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:41 pm

NAveryW wrote:

Just don't take it too seriously. Keep in mind that a lot of what they say in the commentary is wrong.

a lot of it is really ment to be humorous, but I think the explaination of symbols in the movie can be rather helpful, or at the very least its entertaining to listen to the actors comment on little things in the movie. and the name "Uber Rei" still makes me giggle...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:55 pm

I didn't really mean in terms of order, but in terms of... Should I try to prepare her? I like the Zoloft idea. :D
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I didn't really mean in terms of order, but in terms of... Should I try to prepare her? I like the Zoloft idea. :D

If you prepare her, her reaction wont be as amusing to watch... *Evil Gendo Stare*

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:28 pm

you should set up video camera and record her watching it, so you can review the expressions later. Also, depending on how familiar she is with anime, the dub may be more accessible.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:32 pm

slothen wrote:you should set up video camera and record her watching it, so you can review the expressions later.
Isn't that a little creepy stalker-ish?

slothen wrote:Also, depending on how familiar she is with anime, the dub may be more accessible.
Years ago she actually watched the subbed version of Sailor Moon with me, so she doesn't mind subs. But I think this is her first time seeing an anime... well, like this.

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
slothen wrote:you should set up video camera and record her watching it, so you can review the expressions later.
Isn't that a little creepy stalker-ish?

Are funny hidden camera shows a little creepy/stalker-ish? :twisted:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:50 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:1 thru 24' (DC episodes of 21' thru 24') episodes

1-26, then 21'-24' and EoE! :x

*tears hair out*

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:36 pm

I didn't really think the Director's Cut changed TOO much....

then again, when I originally watched the series, I basically saw 1-24 on Adult Swim, then stopped, and watched End of Eva with a friend who was a lifelong Eva fanatic. I picked up on the rest after that.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:17 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:1 thru 24' (DC episodes of 21' thru 24') episodes

1-26, then 21'-24' and EoE! :x

*tears hair out*

21 22 23 and 24 suck soooo bad. its like watching dubbed EoE, the performances are completely different.

MAL Profile

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: My Cousin's Coming Over to Watch Eva this Weekend...

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:19 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Any suggestions? I mean, anything I should do to prepare her for it? I wouldn't exactly say I'm nervous, but kinda anxious for her to see it. I really hope she "gets" it enough to like it...

You don't really have to say anything beyond 'it gets weird towards the end'. The worst that will happen is that you have to explain a few things later.

Watch 1-24 (21'-24' if you want, but instead of 21-24. There is no point in watching them twice) and EoE.

If she's willing to watch the subbed version, you might as well go with that.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Genuflec-*shot*
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:09 am

Just remember to give her a little time in-between episodes to let the last one sick in. Granted half the time what is sinking in is going to get turned upside down later on but that's part of the fun.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”