Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Genesis
Embryo

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

•      
  •      

Postby Genesis » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:39 am

Let's focus on a good manga with a good storyline and great world building. You guys should go and read Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, you guys. It may look like your typical light-hearted adventure/action Shonen manga but it got a deep meaning too. There is a focus on politics and the military life like Fullmetal Alchemist.

This story is about the flow of fate and the battle to keep the world on the right path. Aladdin is a boy who has set out to explore the world after being trapped in a room for most of his life. His best friend is a flute with a djinn in it named Ugo. Soon enough, Aladdin discovers he is a Magi, a magician who chooses kings, and he was born to choose kings who will follow the righteous path, battling against those who want to destroy fate. Follow his adventures as he meets others from "One Thousand and One Nights", like Ali Baba and Sinbad, and fights to keep the balance of world in check!

Author/Artist: Shinobu Ohtaka

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Shonen
狂ったこの世で狂うなら気は確かだ。
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane. - Akira Kurosawa

"Cogito, ergo sum." - Ren Descartes
"Carpe Diem." - Quintus Horatius Flaccus

cyberoutlaw101
Embryo

Re: Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

•      
  •      

Postby cyberoutlaw101 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:59 pm

It is a good series. I have watched both of the anime and am reading the manga as of now. One aspect of the story that I like is that the main characters, Aladdin and Alibaba, are involved in the politics of the setting. I have just read the current chapter, although I am surprised that the manga is already reaching the final arc. Hopefully there is a satisfying conclusion relating to the story's main themes.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:47 pm

It's an underused setting, so that's good, and the focus on establishing good leaders rather than wishing to be the leaders themselves is an interesting twist to many more simplistic political dramas. Also nice to see 'kingmakers' portrayed positively rather than as something sneaky and sinister as is often the case in modern times with guys like the Koch brothers or George Soros being partisan boogymen.

That flute (why is it not a lamp?) totally looks like a dick though. :um:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

cyberoutlaw101
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cyberoutlaw101 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 pm

NemZ wrote:That flute (why is it not a lamp?) totally looks like a dick though. :um:

I never noticed that until now. Now I can not unsee it.

Return to “Anime and Manga”