[TV] Adventure Time

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks to Doug Walker, I've been watching the show as he vlogs about it. It's been a fun ride (right now, I'm halfway into season 3), and I await what's to come up.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Sleigh Lain Fish
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sleigh Lain Fish » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:15 pm

The amount of drug reference in this show is unreal. Mushrooms and toads as portals to the lumpy space dimension, bufo (as in bufo alvarius psychedelic toad) teaching Jake and Finn magic, there's even an episode featuring Finn talking about dimethltryptamine mid-rant. That and all the multiplicit and suggestion; and there has even been controversy about some show staff genedating lewd fiction and references. I'm pretty sure somebody even got the axe for producing stuff about bubblegum and marceline having a thang bahah. Seasons are cheap, too.
"In the land of a thousand fathers, she was born on the Fourth of July. But that don't mean she was made in America.. She was gone in the blink of an eye. She belongs, but she acts like a stranger. She can laugh, but she ain't free. I am my only devil, because they'll believe what they want to believe." - Josh Scogin.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

A bit of a let down, but not for shipping reasons. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:12 am

The title of this last episode might as well have been "Cinnamon Bun Rising".

I've thought for some time that the fire kingdom would "cook" him into full-baked status, and was surprised they didn't do so when he was first brought there. So, nice to see them actually capitalize on that detail.

However... I didn't much like this episode. I think it's getting to the point where they focused too much on the wacky, and didn't do enough of the "boring" things like giving the characters dialogue that flows organically, instead of resorting to endless non-sequiturs and awkward pauses.

To be perfectly frank, it's this episode that has me most suspecting the production crews/writers come up with these things while scarfing down cactus juice.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:36 pm

I really like the direction they're going with this season. I loved the two part season premiere. That crystal citadel prison place was awesome. The episode with Finn gaining a telekinetic arm was also pretty cool. It reminded of Eva 2.0, when Unit-01 goes berserk and manifests an AT-field arm. Of course, I also like that they're still doing those weird, stand-alone episodes along with the multi-episode stories. It just wouldn't be Adventure Time without them.

Awesome, an upcoming episode directed and animated by Masaaki Yuasa and his team!

Does anyone else want to see Flame Princess in another episode of her own? I dunno, it just seems to me that she's served more of a purpose to others than to herself. First to be a romantic interest and drama maker person for Finn and then that one episode was more about Cinnamon Bun becoming a badass and showing up Finn than anything else. I'd like to see her do something on her own for herself for once, but I still want to see her get together with Finn because she's HOT (forgive me, please). She's an interesting character, but she has the potential for great stories and development that haven't really been done up to this point. I hope in future they do something interesting with her.

On a mostly related note, are there any good fanfics out there for Adventure Time?

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 23, 2014 2:59 pm

^
I honestly haven't seen any fanfics that I walked away from liking.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri May 23, 2014 3:35 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I honestly haven't seen any fanfics that I walked away from liking.
That's about par for the course with fanfiction, in my experience. There's good fanfiction, but you have to dig through the miles of crap to get to the gems.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon May 26, 2014 1:17 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I really like the direction they're going with this season. I loved the two part season premiere. That crystal citadel prison place was awesome. The episode with Finn gaining a telekinetic arm was also pretty cool. It reminded of Eva 2.0, when Unit-01 goes berserk and manifests an AT-field arm. Of course, I also like that they're still doing those weird, stand-alone episodes along with the multi-episode stories. It just wouldn't be Adventure Time without them.

Awesome, an upcoming episode directed and animated by Masaaki Yuasa and his team!

Does anyone else want to see Flame Princess in another episode of her own? I dunno, it just seems to me that she's served more of a purpose to others than to herself. First to be a romantic interest and drama maker person for Finn and then that one episode was more about Cinnamon Bun becoming a badass and showing up Finn than anything else. I'd like to see her do something on her own for herself for once, but I still want to see her get together with Finn because she's HOT (forgive me, please). She's an interesting character, but she has the potential for great stories and development that haven't really been done up to this point. I hope in future they do something interesting with her.

On a mostly related note, are there any good fanfics out there for Adventure Time?

I kinda feel more like Finn might get together with Canyon then back with flame princess. That would be a weird relationship because of the size difference, but then again other stranger pairings have happened in the show.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon May 26, 2014 1:31 am

Man, I absolutely adored the music in I Remember You, here's a taste but done by a different singer, Oh Bubblegum.

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Thu May 29, 2014 5:38 pm

I liked the earlier episodes more because they didn't try all the romance stuff, I still watch it though. I like the songs that Flying Lotus made for a few episodes.
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Holy shit, the foodchain episode was seriously the best episode ever! Seriously that was just beautiful, I felt like I was watching one of the better studio 4c anime!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:00 am

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:12 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:We're getting a movie.

:rei_hissyfit:

I expect at least 1/6 of it to be CG. (Thanks, SpongeBob!)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 08, 2015 4:12 am

I used to think "Adventure Time" was the greatest thing Cartoon Network would ever do.
Then I found "Steven Universe".

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri May 08, 2015 4:24 am

Well this is going to derail the topic into a SU topic but.......my favourite piece of fanart from this show XD:
SPOILER: Show

Also yeah kinda lost interest in the adventure time show, the comics have always been much better to me tbh :P
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 08, 2015 4:30 am

Oh I still love "Adventure Time" & the writing has been pretty phenomenal but "Steven Universe" isn't afraid to get really emotional & go for the heart strings. And it does it very well & is super pro-girl & pro-woman while at it.

I just wish that sometimes "Adventure Time" would actually just be emotional. I'm loving how they're experimenting with the world & rarely focus on Finn & Jake but aside from the episodes dealing with the Ice King & Marceline's beginnings the show avoids any real emotion by having the characters just jumble words & act blase.
"I'm feeling so fleep flop fleepitidy doo right now. I'm gonna try to avoid this flippity derple & go warble the jingly dongler."

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: [TV] Adventure Time

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:49 am

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but a lot has happened in Adventure Time since it was last updated. There's been the "Stakes" miniseries, which focused on Marceline and her old enemies. I won't spoil it, but it is VERY emotional and narratively complex, much like Steven Universe has become. It's the perfect antidote to those of you who think Adventure Time has become too inane.
The other piece of news is that there is going to be an ADVENTURE TIME MOVIE! We don't know who is directing it, or when it will come out, though I suspect no sooner than 2017, given that it was just announced this year. There's been some speculation that the movie may be the series finale.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:39 am

^Yeah, 'Stakes' was great. It was a return to deep yet humourous storytelling that was a lot more intriguing and refreshing compared to the wannabe cosmic horror of Season 6.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Out of curiosity, how many more seasons of Adventure Time do you think there will be?
I'm personally guessing two or three more. The show is still getting good ratings, though not quite as good as a couple years ago, and if/when the movie gets made (it's in the very early stages of development now) it'll most likely be the finale of the series.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Depends when the creators want to hand up their hats. It certainly doesn't seem like the show is building to a conclusion of any sort (unlike Gravity Falls) and without a clear villain or objective at the moment it's uncertain what kind of ending we'd get anyway.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:43 am

That's why I think the movie--which will most likely come out two or three years from now-- will probably serve as the series finale.

Return to “Film and Video”