Forum Theme Issues - reporting and discussion

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Forum Theme Issues - reporting and discussion

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:23 am

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Did anybody ever change the colour scheme, or did I just get used to the colours?
Also, I'm not sure, if I overreacted in the beginning, but the Forums now look a lot tidier than in the beginning, so thank you!

I've not changed the colours, apart from making the yellowish highlight bar in forum and post lists a bit softer.

I've done a number of small changes which just neaten things up a little - changing spacing between elements and the like. Visually the biggest change has been changing the forum and post icons from square to round.

There are still a number of things undone but which I haven't forgotten about - like breadcrumbs at the bottom of the screen, mark all read on the unread topics list, a theme with inverted colours. I hope they will come in a reasonable time, but in the past couple of weeks I've had serious personal distractions which have taken my mind off them, and which will delay the bigger jobs like new colours at least until January.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:59 pm

When I go to edit a post, I've been finding myself clicking on the "quote" button in a "programmed and without thought" sort of way. Has this been happening to anyone else? Was "Edit" the far right button in the old setup?

Glad to see the selection of smilies on the composition screen pared down, but I wouldn't mind having the selection that had been there in olden times back. I put a lot of thought into which ones should be always available -- why waste it? :wink:

EDIT: Just noticed that my post count is under my avatar now. Gross! I don't want to see that!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:41 pm

But some people like the post count... (I do :tongue:) But it is trivial to remove if there's a groundswell against it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:49 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But it is trivial to remove if there's a groundswell against it.

Count me among that groundswell.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Glad to see the selection of smilies on the composition screen pared down, but I wouldn't mind having the selection that had been there in olden times back. I put a lot of thought into which ones should be always available -- why waste it? :wink:

If it was that easy I'd have done it, but I don't remember what they were and nothing in the DB tables stands out as an obvious indicator of what used to be the shown smilies.

EDIT: Taking a guess, is this the set?

+------------+
| code |
+------------+
| :D |
| ^_^ |
| :tongue: |
| :wink: |
| ;) |
| :lol: |
| :shifty: |
| :devil: |
| :| |
| :irked: |
| :huh: |
| :uhh: |
| :sniffle: |
| :rolleyes: |
| :hahaha: |
| :facepalm: |
| :um: |
| -o-; |
| :bigeyes: |
| :cringe: |
| (:| |
+------------+
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Monk Ed: Yep, those look like them. Weird, for some reason I thought the cat face :3 was in there too. Perhaps some slight adjustments can be made. :nyao:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:20 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Perhaps some slight adjustments can be made. :nyao:

Then do so and get back to me with something.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:03 pm

Something i find rather uncomfortable is the ability to see a user's most active thread. I'd rather it not be visible that 2.6% of my posts were me whining about first world problems in FML thread volume 1.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:07 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Something i find rather uncomfortable is the ability to see a user's most active thread. I'd rather it not be visible that 2.6% of my posts were me whining about first world problems in FML thread volume 1.

I just went to my own profile to check that out, but it looks like some people don't have that information visible-- I can't see it for myself, Bagheera, Monk Ed, or Reichu, just to name a few people. It's interesting that it shows up for some posters but not others.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Pretty minor, but can we tweak things so that the bold is bolder? It feels like it isn't as noticeable as it should be.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Are permissions intentionally set that you have to be logged in to view people's user profiles or is that something people set themselves? Just curious how that works since I recall viewing the forums without log-in had to be tweaked.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Are permissions intentionally set that you have to be logged in to view people's user profiles or is that something people set themselves? Just curious how that works since I recall viewing the forums without log-in had to be tweaked.

I don't think it's something we set for ourselves-- I haven't seen the option in the control panel.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:36 am

It's a permission that can be set to allow or deny viewing of profiles and member lists. I don't recall visiting a forum which allowed it to guests; but I may well not have tried as a guest at some of them either. My normal practice is to deny this permission to guests.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Pre-upgrade EGF you could view anyone's profile (and the forums itself) without login which is why I was curious.

Thanks!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ternaldius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ternaldius » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:33 am

So this is more of a question than a request (and not a big one at that), but have you guys experimented with different fonts or so? I'm kinda tired of arial - would it be hard to change?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:48 am

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: many details of layout are tweaked to make things fit nicely, and a global font change would throw much of that out of the window. If I were to make a new theme that would of course be a consideration, but a change for change's sake is not even on my radar.

After I've changed the present four themes to be one theme with selectable width and banner (should be fairly soon now), I hope to have the opportunity to look into making a different coloured theme. I could also look into the possibility of alternative fonts at that point.

Ternaldius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ternaldius » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:52 am

Yeah, alternative fonts is what I was going for, obviously it'd be unnessecary to make a global font change.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:05 am

Post body text is styled by the first available of "Lucida Grande","Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Helvetica,Arial, or whatever is the system fall-back sans-serif; it's unlikely that on a modern system you'd actually fall so far down the list as to be seeing Arial.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:26 am

I made the background of the menu a bit transparent so that you can see more of the image behind. I consider this an experiment; if people hate it, I can easily change back.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Perhaps just slightly less transparent?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:44 pm

Enough?

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”