Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Comic Books?

Postby Ray » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:55 pm

It seems we've come full circle. . . especially considering who created her in the first place.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:16 pm

And yet I would argue classic wonder woman was slightly more respectful and more tactful in some areas.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:52 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:And yet I would argue classic wonder woman was slightly more respectful and more tactful in some areas.

I totally agree this lacks tact/subtlety.

But it never seemed disrespectful IMO.
They are sexualized but sexualization is not inherently disrespectful and this is one of the cases where it seems to be done reasonably right, bodies all seem realistic and not overly thin, breast don't look like perfect orbs that don't conform to their outfits and positions like artist would offen draw breast in the 90s, no back broke poses, faces are full of life and emotion and most of the panels never seem static or traced like they would by say Greg Land.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:57 pm

I'm looking back on those illustrations and the only thing that comes to my mind is. . . WHY?

There's empowerment, and then theres borderline self parody.

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:41 pm

Gonna list several comics I am buying/reading/have read lately and share just general thoughts on them.

JUSTICE LEAGUE (darkseid war arc including tie in one shots)
- Love pretty much everything on this so far.
- Jason Fabok & Francis Manapul are pretty different style wise but both execute their styles superbly so the change in style is never jarring.
- The JL team members becoming new gods is unique and cool especially when you contrast what the members do once they are gods compared to each other.
- The Darkseid War Green Lantern one shot in particular is superb. I have seen a lot of people demanding the writer on it become the lead writer of the main GL book in response. Art in it is pretty Darwin Cooke like.
- Johns is apparently 100% ignoring the events of Earth Two, as Barda happily shows up last issue and other Darkseid minions who were taken out in Earth Two are also here.

ACTION COMICS
SUPERMAN
BATMAN / SUPERMAN
SUPERMAN / WONDER WOMAN

- Ok... the Truth arc with Superman de powered started off good and interesting, but its starting to wear a little thin to be honest.
- Him fighting super hero incarnations of lost mythical gods night after night in a boxing ring sounds weird and cool but im just not feeling it despite IMO it being still reasonably well written.
- Howard Porter is solid step up from JRJR but so far not drawing much of interest.
- Artist on BM/SM is bit too posed and photoshoppy.
- Villains here, Vandal Savage/Wrath and such are cool but nothing special.
- Superman's encounters with Wrath are getting kinda repetitive.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN
- Bendis speak is working well here IMO.
- David Marquez is a damn solid up and coming artist and is going great faces and reactions along with solid action, perfectly happy with him being the artist on the up and coming Civil War 2.
- New love interest for Tony is interesting, it being another scientist that he strongly respects is cool.
- Doctor Doom and Tony are having great back and forth, hope they don't re scar Doom anytime soon.
- Madame Mystique is being well done here, the emotional baggage she and Tony have is very clear from the way they react to each other.

CYBORG
- Finished first arc, dropped it from my pull list.
- With Ivan Reis off the book before the end of the first arc and the cool Borg like villains already taken care of, not much to pull me into the book now.

TOTALLY AWESOME HULK
- Frank Cho is inevitably giving us some great art, Oback is doing great colors once again (after she broke up with her Ex Husband Mike Choi, her coloring stopped being noticeable like it was on his work)
- Amadeus Cho is making for a very fun contrast to the traditional dour Banner personality when not hulked out.
- Lady Hellbender is a cool sexy new villain-ness, Amora the Enchantress will apparently show up later on in the book along with Fin Fang Foom.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:32 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- Love pretty much everything on this so far.

The only thing I've been getting out of it so far is the art, and I'm definitely preferring Manapul over Fabok, but that's just personal preference. In fact, I'm really indifferent to Johns' Justice League as a whole. I'm caught up on nearly all the available trade paperbacks and the single issues of the current story and I'm generally unimpressed. I usually really like Geoff Johns, his recent Superman story arc, 'Men of Tomorrow', and his Green Lantern stuff is a great example, but his JL is just so bland and boring and is not hitting any buttons for me at all. I very much so regret buying into it.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- The Darkseid War Green Lantern one shot in particular is superb. I have seen a lot of people demanding the writer on it become the lead writer of the main GL book in response. Art in it is pretty Darwin Cooke like.

That consensus is scary to me because I'm really into Venditti and Tan's Green Lantern run. Recently I've caught up with it all - past the 'Godhead' crossover (which was fucking awesome fun) and into the current 'Renegade' stuff - and I love every bit of it. Yet, online, all the feedback I see is people tearing into Venditti saying he should be off the book. Considering I'm someone who is especially picky/critical of their comicbooks; I just don't see the hate. Plus, the last page of the recent issue was a crazy cliffhanger. Good superhero comics, truth be told.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- Superman's encounters with Wrath are getting kinda repetitive.

Agreed; I've dropped Action until Pak and Kuder are doing their own one-shot standalones again. #40, the Bizarro story, was phenomenally hilarious and entertaining, all the while still being an affecting Superman story.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- Bendis speak is working well here IMO.

HERESY.

:lol:

Jokes aside, I'm not surprised Bendis is such a good match on IM. Now's he got a good conduit to do his shit-talking through. Thank god that man is now off X-Men.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:34 am

WW:EO art looks great. I like how Morrison's returning to the roots of the character to comment on BDSM, gender relations as well as the character herself. Basically embracing the original while also improving and building upon it. It's the same thing he's done throughout his career. Looking forward to reading this.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Call me insane but when some discussion about Wonder Woman's author came up i got curious enought to check his wiki page and reading some of his life ideology/philosophy i genuinely didn't think it was that bad at all. So i never really understood why people seem to have this strong disgust at the author or the first few WW comics.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:00 pm

I don't think I remember anyone expressing disgust towards him other than Werthamesque types.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:40 am

Read Last Son by Geoff Johns and Adam Kubert today. Outside of anything Grant Morrison, I think it might just be my favourite Superman story yet; cinematic comicbook storytelling at its finest using continuity to bolster the experience, not hinder it. I'm really going to have to look into more of Johns' Action Comics run, although it seems a lot of the trade paperbacks are now out of print.

Also, finally got around to Hellboy in Hell. Best thing Mignola has ever done, hands down.

:thumbsup:
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:51 am

Caught up on last week's comics: DKIII #2 escalated real serious, real quick. Extraordinary X-Men #4 had a hell of a last page, and Morrison and Burnham's Nameless #6 was an absolute mind bender of a finale. I think I'm going to have to reread the series to get a proper grip on it, but my initial take...

NAMELESS  SPOILER: Show
Is that the space exploration to Xibalba obviously isn't real and is in fact the mental projection of Nameless' exorcism to rid him of the Outsider god that is possessing him. Razor House is the initial incident whereby he became possessed and ever since he has been on the lam, amnesiac, which is why he doesn't have a name to begin with.
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:56 am

DKIII #2 escalated real serious, real quick.

They didn't have Crazy Steve setting a group of thugs on fire, painting himself yellow, and calling Robin 'retarded' ? Cause 'serious' for Frank Miller is 'granddad need to take his medicine' for everyone else.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:59 am

Serious as in the arrival of the eponymous master race...

DKIII #2  SPOILER: Show
Some 1,000 escaped Kandorians belonging to a bloodthirsty, crazed religious cult, seemingly with no Superman or Bruce Wayne Batman around to stop them. Looks like it's going to be left to Carrie Kelly - the new Batman, with Bruce in a more Alfred/mentor-type role maybe - and Wonder Woman and whoever else is still knocking about to stop them.

Also, Ray, you know Miller isn't writing this one. Brian Azzarello is, with Frank's name stamped on it because it's his version of the characters and to generate buzz. Yet you still jump at any excuse to get a punch in. I realise that's part of what you do around here but your constant Miller bashing was old hat before, now it's verging on beating a dead horse. We get it. You're a bright guy, bring something positive to the discussion for once.
Warren Peace, #643919

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:44 am

Hellboy in Hell #8 'The Hounds of Pluto'  SPOILER: Show

Man, I can't believe how hard Hellboy in Hell is hitting me right now. The already unplaceable fairy tale logic of the prior series has been replaced with that of a transient fleeting dream. Turns out there are things worse than being dead. The above spoilered page is from a sequence that's probably the most profound and beautiful thing to ever come out of the whole Mignolaverse. Sure, I'll reiterate that Hellboy in Hell is "the best thing Mignola has ever done", but the man is simply outdoing himself.

I've really got the bug now, if I didn't have it before already. Those BPRD omnibuses I scored on Boxing Day sales can't get here soon enough.
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:42 am

I just got my hands on the Age Of Apocalypse Omnibus Volume 1

Late 80's Early 90's Comic Book goodness. Oozing with Machismo. Jim Lee, Jose Madureira, Roger Kruz, Andy Kubert, and too many other artists worked on one of the greatest Marvel Comics 'what if' stories ever made. A world where the bad guy won. One of the most influential of the X-Men comics with the effects of it still resonating in the X-Men comics, and the Marvel Multiverse to this day.

It's also includes the origin story of two of my Favorite X-Men, Blink, and Sabertooth.

I really really like what this series did for Sabertooth. Before this, he was just Wolverine's Rival with not much character to him. This shows one of the ways his character could have turned out if placed in different circumstances. Here he became a surrogate father to Blink and ended up turning his life around, becoming one of the founding members of the X-Men in this universe.

Also, since this is a what-if universe and only tangentally connected to the X-Men in 616. It allows for narrative tension, beloved characters die without reason, or get fates worse than death. That's something you don't get in the average 616 marvel. If someone dies in the Marvel U, they're back in 6 months. If someone dies in Age Of Apocalypse, they usually stay dead.

While the 90's often gets panned as one of the 'dark ages' of the comic book industry. There are gems to be found in the dross, and Age of Apocalypse is definitely one of them.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:31 am

Are you reading from the omnibus, Ray, or the paperback complete collections which are split into volumes? I used to have the collections a few years ago when I first read through AOA but traded them shortly after I was done. I used to have a mate that ran a secondhand bookstore so I'd always trade in for new stuff. I'm planning on getting the omnibus when it's reprinted later this year: http://www.bookdepository.com/X-Men-Age ... 0785195092

I have a massive soft spot for AOA. I love how they turned the X-Men into an alternate reality for four months or so, across all books, line-wide. AOA Magneto, Sunfire, Sabretooth and Rogue are among my favourite versions of the characters. As bleak it is, it's a setting you can really immerse yourself in once you acclimatise to the 90s writing and artwork, a lot which I'm pretty fond of to be honest. I remember the Generation Next issues being pretty cool, and anything to do with Cyclops in his conflicted role as a villain.

I strongly recommend you check out Remender's run on Uncanny X-Force, specifically the Dark Angel Saga. Not only is it one of the greatest runs in all X-Men publishing history but it also hinges heavily on the AOA mythology, the plot centring on Archangel. Basically they go back there, to that reality, a decade after the events of the original. The arc was so good and popular enough that a new Age of Apocalypse ongoing spun out of it, focusing on Sabretooth and Jean Grey falling in with the Prophet and a group called the X-Terminated. It was better than 80% of the original too in my opinion.

Fun fact: The ending of the Dark Angel Saga is one of the few comics to ever actually make me cry.
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:48 am

I don't agree with you on much, Ray, but I'm definitely with you on AoA. That was some good stuff.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:48 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:1.) I strongly recommend you check out Remender's run on Uncanny X-Force, specifically the Dark Angel Saga. Not only is it one of the greatest runs in all X-Men publishing history
2.) Fun fact: The ending of the Dark Angel Saga is one of the few comics to ever actually make me cry.

1.) Strongly 2nd this!
2.) Silver Surfer - Requiem is the one that did that for me ^_^

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:55 pm

You know, I'm starting to remember the 90's comics fondly. It was a period when people were willing to try some creative risks and strike out in new directions even if most of those directions were dumb.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Same. If we're speaking strictly DC and Marvel, I think DC had more substance during that decade compared to Marvel, who were very driven by the artists at that time - spawning into the whole Image movement - whereas DC still focused on its writers. Think on a lot of the big stories: Death of Superman, Emerald Twilight, Age of Apocalypse, the Clone Saga, Knightfall, No Man's Land. They were all very good and very bad at the same time. Cool ideas poorly executed mostly, or even the other way around sometimes. These days they're probably cooler as cliff notes on a character's backstory than when you actually read them in application, and even though I like AOA, I'd say the same for it as well.

Of course, this is also the era of Marvels and Kingdom Come and many other diamonds in the rough (Morrison's JLA and Robinson's Starman to name a couple), and Vertigo were absolutely owning with Hellboy, Sandman, Preacher, et al. The original Valiant made waves with critics too. However, it's not until the later part of the decade where things started getting better again with the rise of the independents and such.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote: Silver Surfer - Requiem

I've wanted to read this ever since you first brought it up in this thread. The individual issues are available for basically what is cover value on eBay from Mile High Comics, but they refuse to let me request a combined postage offer, which sucks donkey balls, the bastards. Maybe if I just buy from them directly, the international shipping would still be a kick in the arse.
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”