Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Comic Books?

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Marvel is publishing tie-in comics for X-Men Apocalypse.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... a-new-hope

Whew. At least this might stave off some of Disneys hostility towards the X-family.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:16 pm

So with most of the All-New All-Different Marvel books that I'm reading now out (with the exception of the new Uncanny X-Men), I'd thought I'd share some initial thoughts...

SPOILER: Show

Extraordinary X-Men: Considering how picky I am with my X-Men comics, I'm actually quite enjoying Extraordinary so far - god-awful "the Terrigen Mists are killing us" story and all. Three issues in and the character and action beats remind me more of classic X-Men fare. Even the team line-up feeds into that notion. Storm, Iceman, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Magik, young Jean Grey and Old Man Logan. It's practically an iconic roster except with a demented post-Secret Wars twist on it. Lemire seems to have found the voices of all the characters well and Ramos' art is kinetic and bursting with energy as always; the Nightcrawler sequence in the first issue especially is a great example of this.

I don't know, maybe it's because I went in with an open mind and tempered expectation that I'm now pleasantly surprised. Bendis' run on Uncanny was one of the biggest disappointments to me in superhero comics of recent years, primarily because he completely squandered the premise of Cyclops leading a mutant revolution and Chris Bachalo's art - something any other decent comics writer would've went absolutely wild with - but also because of all the other garbage his writing quirks brought to the title; 35+ issues of in-fighting, everyone talking smart and going nowhere. Don't even get me started on Battle of the Atom or that pathetic last minute gambit for his run not to be totally forgotten by making Iceman gay.

Keeping that bitterness in mind, I think what also softened the blow was reading an interview with Lemire beforehand stating that he wanted his time on the book to be one to be remembered, and that he was really going to pour his heart and soul into Extraordinary. For the love of the X-Men, let's hope so.

Daredevil: Coming from a Daredevil die-hard; this was brilliant. Really, fucking brilliant. After four years of Waid and Samnee writing Silver Age swashbuckling throwbacks, where DD was just a stand-in/analogue for the Phantom (it really didn't help either that it was almost universally lauded across comicbook sites, related blogs and social media - meaning I had to sit, twiddle my thumbs and wait the tenure out); this really feels like a return to form in more ways than one. Daredevil is a noirish psychological crime drama once again. No, not just that, because the book is bona-fide superhero comics too.

Charles Soule brings so much to this book. The guy is an actual lawyer by trade so all the legal stuff is on point and Matt's dialogue and characterisation are down pat. I really couldn't ask for more in that regard. In fact, you can tell Soule's been planning ideas for years, and even a couple my own wants out of my own fan-fiction/headcanon have made their way in. For example, Matt taking on a protégé and now working for the DA as a prosecutor, meaning his goals align in and out of costume.

Over on art duties, Ron Garney is a good fit. The only stuff I'd read of his before was that one horrible arc from God of Thunder with Malekith where he was basically fill-in for Esad Ribic. Not that he's a bad artist by any means but anything other than Ribic is a step down. Here, he provides more of a pulpy crime feel, but the real wonder is in the colouring. Matt Milla filters the world in almost total monochromatic vision. Crimsons and reds dominate the outdoor scenes, cool blues for interior or nightime sequences, and everything in-between tied nicely together by the black of the inks. It really is nice stuff.

Example  SPOILER: Show

Daredevil is back.

Thoughts on The Ultimates and Karnak to follow shortly...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Anybody know what star wars comic this is from? cause these panels are REALLY good:
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:47 pm

That's pretty fucking solid, not gonna lie.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:49 pm

I've heard about Marvel's Darth Vader ongoing and how good it is. Are those panels from that book?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Yeah, that's from the Vader solo comic. Kieron Gillen is a great author and easily the best art I've seen from Larroca.
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:24 am

Oh yeah the Vader ongoing is freaking fantastic!

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Coming from a Daredevil die-hard; this was brilliant. Really, fucking brilliant.

Very happy you liked it, I haven't read the recent stuff but I went ahead and read this and it is indeed damn good, best Ron Garney art I have ever seen to be honest.
If he did more shadow work like this in Thor, the Accursed arc would not be half as poor as it is.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:55 am

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:31 am

The moral of Secret Wars? God Emperor Doom.

With only one more issue to go, I seriously don't know how they're going to wrap this up...
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:04 am

Wow. It's not often you see Doom get played so easily, but it works.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:03 pm

Doom does not Beg.

I hope Marvel gets the Screen rights to the Fantastic Four back eventually, so we can see Doom be this awesome on the big screen.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:37 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Doom does not Beg.

I hope Marvel gets the Screen rights to the Fantastic Four back eventually, so we can see Doom be this awesome on the big screen.

You think that was Doom being awesome? He played right into Thanos' hands, man. I've never seen the guy so easily manipulated.

All assuming Thanos is still obsessed with Death, of course; if that's changed, well, never mind.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:04 pm

He ripped a demigods skeleton out of him! You have to be numb inside not to say "that be metal as F***!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:28 am

Reading Charles Soule and Jesus Saiz' Swamp Thing run; just finished 'The Killing Field' and it left me with goosebumps. Wow. I would go so far to say the story is character defining even, and in only three issues, adds bucket loads more depth to the Green, the Parliament of Trees and Alec Holland as a protagonist than entire arcs or series have in the past. Also, I appreciate the meta-trickery of how they manage to have this version of Swamp Thing meet with the Alan Moore version of the character, separate continuities be damned. Let's hope Soule give us something as profound on his tenure on Daredevil.

Here's some lovely Jesus Saiz artwork  SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:21 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:He ripped a demigods skeleton out of him! You have to be numb inside not to say "that be metal as F***!

We're Eva fans, Ray. "Metal as fuck" isn't all that impressive anymore.

But anyway, you missed my point. This is Thanos we're talking about. You know, the guy who's in love with Death? The why who pulled the whole Infinity Gauntlet mess so he could offer her the souls of the universe as a grand gesture of love (it didn't work)? Thanos has wanted to die for years so he could be with his one true love, but since he's immortal he's never found a way to do it that would stick (he's died a couple of times, but he always comes back). And now he's managed to goad Doom into (hopefully) making it stick. If there's any justice in the world we'll get a nice little epilogue with him standing beside Death in the underworld, same as when he's been killed before.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:32 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Reading Charles Soule and Jesus Saiz' Swamp Thing run; just finished 'The Killing Field' and it left me with goosebumps. Wow. I would go so far to say the story is character defining even, and in only three issues, adds bucket loads more depth to the Green, the Parliament of Trees and Alec Holland as a protagonist than entire arcs or series have in the past. Also, I appreciate the meta-trickery of how they manage to have this version of Swamp Thing meet with the Alan Moore version of the character, separate continuities be damned. Let's hope Soule give us something as profound on his tenure on Daredevil.

Here's some lovely Jesus Saiz artwork  SPOILER: Show

I didn't really get back into Swamp Thing because I thought that most modern takes on the supernatural themes would pale compared to Moore's run (the few newer issues I've read and DC's other big supernatural work Hellblazer mostly left me with a 'meh' kind of feeling) but this looks interesting.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:51 pm

The best Christmas presents are the ones you buy for yourself:

As a comicbook fan, this is something I've been dying to read for a long time...

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I didn't really get back into Swamp Thing because I thought that most modern takes on the supernatural themes would pale compared to Moore's run (the few newer issues I've read and DC's other big supernatural work Hellblazer mostly left me with a 'meh' kind of feeling) but this looks interesting.

Snyder's run on the title - aside from 'Rotworld', which is mostly fun superhero shenanigans with Animal Man - and the first few issues of Charles Soule are pretty average fare. He definitely seeds and builds up to 'The Killing Field' but I feel it's a story that's going to have a very deep effect on the property moving forward, and it just happens to be an incredibly kick-arse comic too. My head was spinning after reading the last page. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of Soule's run now, because the ending is apparently the best bit.

Oh, I'm also going to be reading the Grant Morrison and Mark Millar issues from the 90s sometime in the future, as those are going to finally be collected in trade next year. I've read that some people say that they prefer that run over Moore's even.
Warren Peace, #643919

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:00 pm

Nice buy. The Incal is on my "comics to read when i have the time + totally stop being a lazy butt" list. Pretty high too, since it's by Jodorowsky AND Moebius.

What Jodorowsky films have you seen?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:48 pm

I don't believe I've seen or read anything else yet from either artist. I'm sure though that once I'm finished with The Incal, it will bend my mind so much that I will probably go out and get everything else they've ever done. I've always wanted to read that Mœbius Silver Surfer story for one, not to mention the prequel and sequel to The Incal itself.
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Ok... lettered pages from Wonder Woman Earth One... Yeah I have no idea how to feel about this beyond the art being great...

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”