Do you think Anno did drugs?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

santi
Embryo

Re: Do you think Anno did drugs?

•      
  •      

Postby santi » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:05 am

Naa dont think so. I think he is just like that. Miyasaki said somthing about his personality. Like he was from another world. That was his first thought when he saw anno

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:24 am

I do remember reading somewhere that he was pitched the time slot for EVA when he was drunk in a bar.

Then there was FLCL. Which DEFINITELY had something to do with drugs.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:02 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Antidepressants, maybe.

Not that I'm trying to be mean, offensive or snarky but.....are you speaking from personal experience? Just curious, you don't have to answer. It would actually make more sense, though, as I believe Anno's mental health deteriorated quite a bit after after EoTV.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:09 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Not that I'm trying to be mean, offensive or snarky but.....are you speaking from personal experience?

I have never acted in a psychiatric capacity to Hideaki Anno, if that's what you're asking. :tongue: Anyway, given Anno's history with depression and his willingness to confront his demons head-on, it would make sense if he had sought treatment at some point or another. I don't know if psychiatric drug use has been verified anywhere, but I do recall that he entered a deep depression after making Nadia and somehow got his shit together enough to make NGE. Alas, I'm too lazy to try Googling about it right now.

Ray wrote:Then there was FLCL. Which DEFINITELY had something to do with drugs.

Anno didn't have much to do with that aside from voicing a cat and contributing some key animation. Drugs seem unlikely for FLCL, as well -- listening to the commentary, I got the impression that the weirdness was deliberate. And if it has yet to be established: if you're weird to begin with, you don't need to drop acid to come up with weird shit; it just kind of happens on its own.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:34 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I got the impression that the weirdness was deliberate. And if it has yet to be established: if you're weird to begin with, you don't need to drop acid to come up with weird shit; it just kind of happens on its own.

LOL, you should've shown him your illustrations and Christmas figures to make this point. Drugs are not needed. Weird folks can be quite creative to begin with. I only wish that was the case for me.

:hahaha:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:46 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:LOL, you should've shown him your illustrations and Christmas figures to make this point. Drugs are not needed.

As a matter of fact, that Christmas sculpture came about in part because I was experimentally taken off Adderall for a time. (EDIT: Welp, link to the sculpture is broken; will have to fix later.) It... wasn't fun.

I'm moderately curious about what effect hallucinogens would have on people who are weird by default. Different brain chemistry can result in the same drug having radically different effect. (For instance, I couldn't abuse my Adderall to blaze through college even if I wanted to.)
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:19 pm

Wow, you learn something new everyday. Still, the Christmas figures are quite creative and no one can dispute that IMHO.

BTW, maybe there's something wrong on my end but the link seems to be broken as it leads me to Charter web results.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:34 pm

OMF didn't renew and evacommentary.org is at one with the snows of yesteryear -- and, alas, even the wayback machine doesn't have the XHE images, just the text of that page.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Huh, I guess when I have a moment I'll have to enshrine the statue on the wiki or something. (Though before I do anything, I guess I'll ask in the Editorium if an archive of my Eva-related stuff seems kosher.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ArgonLeviticusGospel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ArgonLeviticusGospel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:31 pm

Illegal drugs are very hard to obtain in Japan, not to mention the zero-tolerance policies that have lead to situations such as a Toyota executive being arrested for recieving medication that is commonly used in the US but is prohibited under Japanese law. Not to mention that even in the west, he wouldn't seem like the type to try it anyhow.

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Considering what a huge percentage of artists we know of admitting to illegal drugs influencing their art, I'd say I think yes he probably did as well. Whether that means he just smoked some pot, had one good trip or was constantly tripping I won't speculate on, any of those options seem possible.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:06 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:Considering what a huge percentage of artists we know of admitting to illegal drugs influencing their art

Source? It's one thing to say that many artists admit to taking illegal drugs, but to claim that they make up a huge percentage of all artists is a quite a bold claim that is in need of some backing.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Anno didn't need drugs to come up with NGE, though perhaps alcoholic beverages... they tend to make me spiral into existentialistic thoughts.

Besides, Anno became depressed, from some of the messages in NGE he paints, he's a strong albeit eccentric character.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:58 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:Considering what a huge percentage of artists we know of admitting to illegal drugs influencing their art, I'd say I think yes he probably did as well.

What Sachi said, plus you're also not taking into account the differences in Japanese culture and law, some of which are mentioned in the post directly above yours!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:39 pm

You know i always did joke that the climax of the Komm Susser Todd scene (all the girls saying "I hate you, die," and stuff like that) was like someone injecting LSD straight into your eyeballs, or that the KST scene was sort of distilling an hallucinogenic experience to film in a way i wouldn't have considered possible.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:00 pm

"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:55 pm

Unless he was on speed, beer or coffee, doubt it.

I suppose there's always weedkiller, nutmeg, toad licking and marker pens. But I rather think from the depth of EVA that it's more the logical product of someone suffering existential angst and using creativity as an outlet than wacky times in Wonderland.
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:02 pm

I do, and I in fact was going to make a thread on this.

I think Anno did drugs in the production of Evangelion. The concept of the AT field is something straight out of an acid trip. However, I believe Anno ingested a strong dose of hallucinogenic mushrooms when producing the End of Evangelion.

I have some reasoning for his shroom trip. 1., Anno is a vegeterian - I highly doubt it's been off his menu altogether. 2., I feel EoE is littered with images of this type of drug trip.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:04 am

View Original PostunitM wrote:The concept of the AT field is something straight out of an acid trip.

So are all clever sci-fi metaphors for real world problems the result of acid trips, or just this one? If it's just this one, then why not the others?

(Not)
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby (Not) » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:06 am

No.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”