Third Impact Has Arrived

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Third Impact Has Arrived

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:21 am

Woo-hoo! Thanks, Monk! You're awesome.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:26 am

In this case, it was an OTS extension. Credit goes to this guy. For me it was literally just drop into place, hit activate.

Wait'll you see what I do with the corrupted text in another day or two, though.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:29 am

Being able to find an existing fix and drop it with a few clicks is just one of many benefits of updating to current software.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:22 pm

For the other people out there who also used our RSS feed (both of you), the new feed is here : http://forum.evageeks.org/feed.php
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:29 pm

A small request:

Can we get a 'mark all posts read' button to appear on the same page that the unread posts button brings up? Just a one-stop-shopping sort of deal, basically. ^_^
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:30 am

My first attempt to do that failed for reasons I don't yet understand. I will do it, but probably won't fit it in around RL today.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:03 am

Is it possible to make the banner clickable and make it return you to the forum home screen? I find this very useful in other sites.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:41 pm

In other news -- the legacy thread level semantic links like

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/10606/Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magika-2/880/

are working again (thanks, Monk!) even if the links provided by the forum are still not yet of this form
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:42 pm

:kaos_bow:

Those have been working for days now, but any link with a "#876543" or whatever number at the end still work incompletely, taking the user to the correct page but not the correct location on the page.

Also legacy forum links aren't working because those were hardcoded into the .htaccess rewrite rules and the forum numbers are di-- wait a minute.

Somebody less busy than me -- anyone, really -- please compile a list of all the forum ID numbers. Just go to a forum, look at the URL bar, and you'll see something like this: viewforum.php?f=1 -- where the f= is the forum number. (So Feedback is 1.)

A more elegant solution can wait.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:53 pm

Editorium: f=22
Chit-chat: f=3
Discussion: f=4
Rebuild: f=14
FINAL f=29
Fandom: f=8
Fanfiction: f=28
RP: f=26
Everything Else: f=7
Related: f=11
LAEM: f=32
Off-topic: f=13
/a/: f=24
/tv/: f=27
/v/: f-31
Graveyard: f=12
ANF: f=23

Obviously, i can't see the staff only channels, but this is what's accessible to me
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Thank you TDK.

To my surprise, the forum numbers are the same -- not sure why I thought they'd changed.

Old forum links should work now.
System Administrator

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:01 pm

The colour scheme does seem more pleasant and easier on the eyes now.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:07 am

Certain old-style links (ones with /post/ and /thread/ in them and no .php to be found) should be popping up again. They were working before, but the site was not generating them as you click around.

EDIT: Whoops! Crippling bug found that rendered the edit and quote buttons unusable under certain conditions. Disabled the URL rewriting for now.
System Administrator

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:22 pm

Just discovered that the forum now tells me if someone made a post in the same thread that I did while I was typing a post, if they submitted their post while I was typing. I think I'm starting to like this new interface a little more.

Evangelion unit cow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion unit cow » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:55 am

Well, crap. we're all orange tang now.. IT ALL COMES TUMBLING DOWN, TUMBLING DOWN, TUMBLING DOOOOWN :eva01atf: :eva01heroic: :shinchair: :eva01_roar: :eva01_huff:

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:35 pm

I am loving the new search function. Now it'll be much easier for me to find specific posts! I wonder if I can quote more than one post now as well? (Before, I couldn't click the "quote" button on a post if I had the most recently reply in the topic, so I couldn't add any more quotes to a post and address more people.)

Also, I think the smilies used by Evangelion Unit Cow should be the first smilies available instead of being buried.. wherever they are. They weren't even on the first "more smilies" page.

Also also, isn't it neat how we're saying "smilies" instead of "emojis?" That takes me back. "Emoticons" is still my favorite, though.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:41 am

Has there been any discussion around bringing the user image on the profile page back?
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:50 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Has there been any discussion around bringing the user image on the profile page back?

Not really. I'd have to sit down and think about how to do it. it'd mean significantly altering the user profile page and probably involves a kind of style finagling I don't know anything about. And I'm not that much of a master with HTML to begin with. It's doable but I think it'd be significantly harder than most other single modifications I've made to the site code.

I do want profile pics back, though.
System Administrator

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:16 am

Would be neat to have them back but not if it's going to be too much hassle. No great loss.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:50 pm

It's been a while since I last logged into the forum but... that was a hell of a surprise, guys. Nice work! I never really expected to see EvaGeeks move beyond phpBB 2, but I'm glad to be proved wrong :)

I've had to deal too many times with encoding mismatches between the old databases and the homemade, horrible web applications we use and maintain at work, so I totally understand the pain you had to go through.

I haven't been active here lately due to random IRL troubles, but as always feel free to drop a PM if you need any Python/PHP help for the site.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”