Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:40 am

Might want to take care of that.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:41 am

Double-post settings didn't survive the transfer and I don't remember what they were for each forum before either. Finding out has been a low priority.

EDIT: Huh. I can't find any settings for disabling multi-posting, and there's a WIP extension for it which implies there is no such option by default.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:44 am

There's a setting which restricts how long you have to wait before posting in the same thread ("bumping " the thread). There's an associated permission so that some groups can be exempt, but I'm not sure that it can be controlled by subforum by default (though maybe there can be different permission sets by subforum - I haven't checked that out here, but it's so in SMF). Setting a delay (24 hours?) rather than an outright block would seem to me to achieve the desired result, actually.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:03 pm

The occasional fatal error is me testing something out. Sorry. About 4 of you experienced one just a minute ago.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:13 pm

The ignore issues are technically a feature request, not a bug, and so have been moved to a new thread.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:47 am

The occasional site slowdown is me making a backup -- probably.

EDIT: Niiice... Found a way to run the backup command at a low priority so that it doesn't impact site performance. Barely changes how long it takes, too.

EDIT: Nope, spoke too soon, but now I (am pretty sure I) know why -- it's because the database can't be touched until the backing up is finished so that it's not a moving target.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:48 pm

I've been getting this error off and on since last night:

No route found for "GET /post (whatever)
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:24 pm

The "whatever" is important, otherwise I've no clue what's wrong. If it's an AJAX error when you use quick-mod tools, I know about that.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:33 pm

The "whatever" is the url of the post I was trying to reach, hence why I thought it was because you were messing with the shorter url parsing yesterday.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:54 pm

Yeah, but I need to see what the rest of the URL says to work out the problem and where the rewrite is going wrong. There might be some edge cases I haven't handled yet. Next time you get one, please copy and paste it.
System Administrator

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:35 pm

I haven't gotten that error at all, so maybe it's a mod thing?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:53 pm

pwhodges got it too so it's not just a mod thing, but it might be separate things. In his case, he showed me the exact error and it was a big help: the verboten URL was a "/post/blah" one but it ended in "/posting.php", which should not happen and is a URL that makes no sense.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:10 pm

Information

No route found for "GET /post/820614/Street-Fighter-5-announced-for-PS4-and-PC/posting.php"

Information

No route found for "GET /post/820615/Final-Fantasy-series/posting.php"

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Good, good. So it's all the same problem.

Do you know how to reproduce the error? Does it always happen e.g. when you click a certain button?
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:19 pm

It's happened when trying to quote, trying to go directly to an unread post, or when pushing the 'next page' button on a thread. So pretty much everything.

edit: and just now it happened when I pressed the board index return button on the bottom of the page as well.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:21 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It's happened when trying to quote, trying to go directly to an unread post, or when pushing the 'next page' button on a thread. So pretty much everything.

I don't understand why I'm not encountering it, then. I mean, I'm glad my EGF experience is error-free, but at the same time I feel strangely left out. :lol:
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:28 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It's happened when trying to quote, trying to go directly to an unread post, or when pushing the 'next page' button on a thread. So pretty much everything.

:chinscratch: When did these happen? A number of them might have been while I was changing things and might represent problems I've since solved. If they're more recent (meaning, since the last time I went to bed, which was near noon) then perhaps the reason you're seeing them but Bagheera does not has to do with differences in how you two browse. It might trigger or not depending on what you did just before the deadly click.
System Administrator

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:39 pm

I don't know if it helps, but I browse exclusively through the "Unread posts" button. So, I click that, then click on whatever new posts I'm following. I don't know how that might be relevant, but if it helps . . .

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:41 pm

Information

No route found for "GET /post/820631/Forum-Wackiness/posting.php"

SIIIIGH.

Anyway, It's happening NOW, but not all the time. It's intermittent and pops up in different ways. It's basically a mechanic's nightmare, so sorry about that.

Going back from an error and doing the same thing results in the same error. Refreshing the page then trying the same thing seems to work fine though... hope that helps.

And yes, I mostly browse that way too.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Are you using Firefox?

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”