Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:11 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Easy, easy. Take it one day at a time. All the functionality is there, we just need to get used to the new interface. Have faith in Monk Ed and Paul, eh? They know what's going on and what issues remain, so give them a chance to polish things up and make the site look like it ought.

Besides, the old forum software was likely riddled with security issues just waiting to blow up in the admins' face (I mean, old phpBB fora have some serious holes in them...). So an update once in a while is probably a good thing.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:30 am

For everyone's information the user in question has apologized for and retracts his remarks.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:19 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Being able to fine-tune the forum without having to make a gazillion theme options would be fantastic. :toothy:

I can't promise; but I've seen it elsewhere, and would like to replicate/steal the idea if I can.
Last edited by pwhodges on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:22 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I can't promise; but I've seen it elsewhere, and would like to replicate/steal the idea if I can.

It's not clear to me what this is referencing.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:45 am

Oops, I missed the page flip - quote added.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:11 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Change in behaviour -- external links used to open in a new tab; now they open in the same one.

Fixed.

Proof.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:19 am

Awesome!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:47 am

If the server behaves slowly for a while, nota bene that I'm running a long convert-in-place on the test database.
System Administrator

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Somehow I've ended up with

Code: Select all

Private messages [1]

showing even when I've read them all (it goes up to [2] if I get a new PM); and no obvious mechanism to switch read/unread state to try and jog it free.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:56 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Somehow I've ended up with

Code: Select all

Private messages [1]

showing even when I've read them all (it goes up to [2] if I get a new PM); and no obvious mechanism to switch read/unread state to try and jog it free.

I had the same when a message was sent to me, then deleted by the sender. I had to delete it from my inbox too for it to go away.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:03 pm

In this post which contains a timg element in a spoiler, opening the spoiler causes its contents to be written over the material below it, rather than pushing it down.

Also, timg displays are no longer a link to the full-size image.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:35 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:In this post which contains a timg element in a spoiler, opening the spoiler causes its contents to be written over the material below it, rather than pushing it down.

I'm not seeing this behavior. What I did see though was a broken page layout caused by the post above it having improper BBCode closing tag placement, which I then fixed.
System Administrator

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:46 pm

The difference might be browser-based in that case. I'm using Opera (based on Chrome's Webkit engine), and I suppose you are using FireFox which is the current #1 outside institutional use. In any case, your fix has cured my issue with it as well.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:31 pm

The links use https, and I guess you are still browsing using http. As in the previous forum, the certificate is self-signed, and so you will get warnings until you tell the browser to accept it anyway (the means varies between browsers). This is a pain (though an infrequent one) - but the alternative of buying a certificate from an established certificate authority would add materially to the cost of running the forum for very little gain.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:34 pm

^ Aaaaand, my signature, which I thought I'd fixed, has gone double-spaced again. I need to work out where that's happening, and whether it's down to me or Monk to fix it!

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:23 am

From what I've seen with a quick google search it would be in the neighborhood of $150/year. The wiki and commentary might need their own copies as well though, not sure.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:25 am

The old site had a self-signed certificate and https links as well; we're just noticing now because the certificate is different and so has to be trusted again. You can buy a single certificate to cover multiple sites, but it costs more (they can be explicitly listed or use a wildcard *.evageeks.org, which costs more again).

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:39 am

It looks like I can double-post for some reason.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”