Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Seems so.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:18 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:There's a Spider-Meme, universe?

The MU is supposed to be infinite (but a bounded infinity, as the DCU exists entirely separately except in very specific circumstances)

...which is why I don't get the whole fewer universes thing from Secret Wars. I guess that just means some of the universe we know are destroyed. If you reduce infinity by any number it's still infinity.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:43 pm

It was meant to be infinite when it first started, now not so much, Spiderverse especially put in a dent in that because there is an Earth-1 now that connects every universe via the great web, which didnt look anywhere near infinite to me.
Massive? yes. Infinite? no.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:27 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Truly the greatest page ever:
SPOILER: Show

Its done, comics can get no better than this time to pack it up people.
Also as i thought NOTHING HAS CHANGED the multiverse is just ever-so slightly smaller now big whoop, what was even the point of secret wars?

I dunno, to buy Marvel time to come up with the mutant genocide Scott Summers has been preaching about for the last 5 years or so.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Re: Comic Books?

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:59 am

Trying desperately to catch up on my comics after spending all September and October absorbed in Metal Gear Solid V and then all November overseas in Japan. There are so many good books at the moment that my pull list has bloated to some 30 titles. Painful on the wallet but I’m loving every bit of it.

The ending of Rasputin was on point and consistent with all the issues preceding. Secret Wars continues to be awesome even though it’s crazy delayed (the last issue is slated for February next year). Invisible Republic and Descender; two great sci-fi comics from Image everyone should check out. Black Magick from Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott is phenomenal, highly recommended. Omega Men, Superman: American Alien, Lois & Clark, DKIII and Snyder’s Batman (as usual) all from DC. First issue of the new Ultimates was pretty cool too, showing lots of potential in an otherwise shitty post-Secret Wars MU.

Daredevil #1 by Charles Soule and Ron Garney is out this week but I’m probably not going to get around to it until next week at this rate. Same for Uncanny X-Men #600 and the first few issues of Lemire and Ramos’ Extraordinary X-Men; hopefully I can read them this weekend.

Over in Valiant: Book of Death lived up to expectations, although I think I enjoyed the tie-ins more than the main event (especially the Ninjak issue as it tapped into the Rai timeline and its implications). Also, the upcoming arc for Bloodshot Reborn looks wild, like something between Old Man Logan and Mad Max:

Then there's all the collected stuff: Transmetropolitan (almost halfway through), second omnibus of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, Junji Ito manga, catching up on Saga and Revival, Charles Soule and Jesus Saiz' run on Swamp Thing. Yep. I'm reading a metric-fuckton of crap.

Anyone else reading?
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:57 am

DK3 #1 was underwhelming. And not just because Frank Miller didn't draw it. It's also more soft, safe and clean than TDKR and DK2 in terms of both art and script. Not to say that it's a bad comic, just that it doesn't feel like a Frank Miller comic. It's more like an imitation of one.

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am

Do you really want the guy who had Batman call a twelve year old 'retarded' after seeing his parents get killed in front of him writing a comic book?

Do you really want the guy who said ALL Muslims are terrorist sleeper cells waiting for the opportunity to kill you, writing a comic book?

Do you really want the guy who can no longer draw decent human anatomy to save his life drawing another comic book?

Also Miller didn't not just draw the comic he also didn't write the script. He basically just wrote a rough draft of the story and gave it to someone else to write the actual script for the damn thing.

I'll wait for the trade before I decide to pick it up.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:11 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:DK3 #1 was underwhelming. And not just because Frank Miller didn't draw it. It's also more soft, safe and clean than TDKR and DK2 in terms of both art and script. Not to say that it's a bad comic, just that it doesn't feel like a Frank Miller comic. It's more like an imitation of one.

For a first issue I actually quite liked it, especially in regards to the physical presentation; the cover, premium format, no ads, the Atom back-up feature. You can tell DC have pulled out all the stops. Oh, and you're right. It doesn't feel like a Miller comic because it's come to light that he basically didn't write it at all: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/21/ ... ii-anyway/

Also, SS7, you should check out the first issue of Lois & Clark. Quick rundown; it's about the pre-New 52 Superman, Lois and their son living clandestinely in the current DCU. Nothing ground-breaking but it's really quite well done and fun to watch Jurgens and Weeks dance in the negative space of continuity with a little meta-commentary on the status quo. It put a smile on my face to say the least. Reminds me a lot of Busiek's Secret Identity in tone and art style.
Warren Peace, #643919

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:51 am

^^ Of course I would.

^ It would be cool if he ended up drawing it as well. And if Lynn Varley did colors but that ain't gonna happen.

And I suppose that does explain why the first issue, while well drawn and written, felt like an imitation.

I'll check out Lois & Clark. I haven't been reading much comics for the past few months except for a few things here and there. The Archie reboot written by Mark Waid is a decent lighthearted read. He succeeds at modernizing Archie, but it's not really the type of thing I enjoy in the first place.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:05 am

Tbh I kinda wish he wrote and drew it too, if only because I want to see how much more batshit frank has gotten over the years reflected in his magnum opus of shit, seriously anyone else writing this will never capture the amount of insanity and idolization of fascism frank does, nor his utter lack of care for proper art.
*sigh* all my hopes for riffing on this are dashed in one fell swoop.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Yeah, I guess all the people eager to get their hateboners on will have to wait until DK4. Unless this third part does something to piss people off, which it might.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:27 am

Reading some back issues I have lying around; Action Comics #40 by Pak and Kuder made me laugh damn hard. Always a sucker for a good Bizarro story.

I really wish their run wasn't hampered by crossovers and rotating artists. Whenever the two deliver a standalone issue it's pure gold.
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:45 pm

Adventure time:

DO IT!
JUST DO IT!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:29 pm

I need more Bizarro Aquaman hitting people with a fish.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Banned

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:33 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I need more Bizarro Aquaman hitting people with a fish.

Personally, I would have gone with a baby seal cause I''ve got a sick sense of humor.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:37 pm

I'm actually not sure if that's a fish or a wee little whale.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:58 am

Whales don't have gills.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:12 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Whales don't have gills.

It's a terribly drawn fish, yes.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:46 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Whales don't have gills.

Whale sharks do. :devil:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:32 pm

It's clearly a bizzaro whale, guys.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”