Asuka and Hikari

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:29 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:unless there's a clear attempt at kissing a person or whatever, the character doesn't have a crush on another.

You don't need that to have a heavily implied sub-text. In fact it's easy enough to get to scenes where one longs to shout at the screen "For goodness' sake, just kiss her, you idiot!" with a more indirect build up.

But neither Asuka nor Hikari provide any scenes redolent with subtext, such as confiding to close friends that they have strange confused feelings about girls with sad eyes and beautiful hair (or equivalent); or hugging and exchanging hair ribbons, or...

I don't get any yuri vibes from Asuka, fics to the contrary notwithstanding. Ritsuko/Misato in college days seems much more plausible than Asuka lusting after anyone but Kaji.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:06 am

and secretly Shinji, but thats a topic for a different discussion.

Yeah, i hadn`t considered the lolikon thing..i guess i was still thinking about such late nineties anime as fmp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:16 am

I probably ought to add that the complete lack of such signals was why the dialog quoted in the OP was such a "Wait, wut!?" sort of moment -- wondering what sort of territory things were disintegrating into.

@zephyr72
I believe I chose my words carefully and accurately :D
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:12 pm

The liplick in P3II makes it clear she was at least subconsciously lusting after Shinji. Though it is rather safe to say she didn't want to accept these feelings.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”