Good or bad movies you find you can't stand...

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:19 pm

One movie I really hated was Gothika. Get two great actors, put them together in THE most generic haunting/ghost story ever committed to film. I remember everytime they had like a "BIG" moment, I was calling it long before it happened. By the end I was really hoping every one would just die.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:09 pm

RE: Donnie Darko: I don't like the movie alll that much. As an atmosphere, it really does work with drawing you in, but it simultaniously pulls me out of the movie with it's the main plot, which is ,to put it bluntley, fucking redicious.

All my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I really also don't see why it's so popular with emo(bastards).

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Executor wrote:
it simultaniously pulls me out of the movie with it's the main plot, which is ,to put it bluntley, fucking redicious.

Meh, that part doesn't bother me. It does others. But I can enjoy atmosphere sans plot it's done well.

Oh, and I'm as far away from emo as it gets. ;)

I think they like it because it seems really dark and meaningful, when it's really not. I think it's just a really weird, fun movie to let yourself get drawn into.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Bean Bandit
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Bean Bandit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:44 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:For what it's worth, I liked both The Spirits Within and Advent Children.

Word.

I just don't understand why people dislike one or the other. Great CG, great characters, great plots...okay, fine, 'enjoyable' plots.
What do you like to play? ...Pokemon! Pokemon?

Ya see, the kids, they listen to the rap, which gives them the brain damage. Ya see?

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:57 pm

Advent Children is nothing but a cheap-arse wanking cash in that shits all over the once proud legacy of Final Fantasy 7. That is precisly why I hate it. At least Spirits Within at least scores points with me for daring to be a bit more original.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:11 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Citizen Kane: For a cinemaphile its an orgy of cinematic mastery.

It's more like jerking off than an orgy, hence why I hated it.

Executor wrote:Advent Children is nothing but a cheap-arse wanking cash in that shits all over the once proud legacy of Final Fantasy 7.

Oh get off your high horse. Were you actually expecting a work of unadulterated brilliance in under two hours?

I hate preconceived notions and expectations, they ruin so many films that would otherwise be enjoyable.

Neither of the FF CG films were masterpieces, but they had their moments.

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:21 pm

Any stupid parody movie that came out in the past decade and a half. Scary Movie, Date Movie, Epic Movie, Not Another Teen Movie, they're all shitty, and yet PEOPLE KEEP PAYING TO SEE THEM! I fear for humanity... :cry:
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:21 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:It's more like jerking off than an orgy, hence why I hated it.

You can hate it or not. It's pretty much undeniably brilliant and revolutionary.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:21 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Oh get off your high horse. Were you actually expecting a work of unadulterated brilliance in under two hours?

No, I wasnt. All I really wanted was an enjoyable Final Fantasy 7 movie, which I felt like I did not get in any real way with FF7:AC. I can like a few things about it, such as the CGI, which was... well, great.

I hate preconceived notions and expectations, they ruin so many films that would otherwise be enjoyable.

I suppose I can agree to this.

Neither of the FF CG films were masterpieces, but they had their moments.

Which describes my general feelings for Spirits Within. It's a decent, fun movie that got some really stupid critism from the fans, saying that it was not Final Fantasy, which can be applied to All the games.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:45 pm

The following films pissed me off:

Battlefield Earth (2000)
John Travolta you miserable fuck, why did you do this to us?

The Core (2003)
I should have known better than to watch another disaster movie. It's only saving grace: DJ Qualls.

Dark City (1998)
Was just too weird for my tastes, and having an average cut rate of 1.8 seconds was agitating as hell.

Deep Impact (1998)
Remember the asteroid movie fad? Ugh.

The English Patient (1996)
A terrible movie based on a terrible book.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Visually interesting, but totally pointless. There was almost no characterization, and I didn't give a shit about the characters that were trying to remove each other from their memories.

Jingle All the Way (1996)
Proof that Arnold should stick to politics.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
A nice set of boobs, stuff blowing up. I shouldn't have expected more.

Mars Attacks! (1996)
Apparently, there are people out there that found this film amusing in some perverse way.

Meet the Parents (2000)
The first movie had its moments. The second tried to reproduce those moments, and failed miserably.

Ocean's Twelve (2004)
I didn't bother rewatching this film to figure out what the hell was going on.

The Phantom (1996)
As entertaining as a guy running around in purple could be expected to be.

Repulsion (1965)
See title.

A Scanner Darkly (2006)
Aside from a few good moments, and Robert Downy Jr.'s screen presence, the film left me like "WTF?".

Shame (1968)
One of the most depressing films I've seen.

Sphere (1998)
Liev Schrieber provided some entertaining moments. Then he died and the film ventured into the realm of trippy but boring.

Starship Troopers (1997)
Ambitious, but still crapped all over Heinlein's classic book. Anyone who saw the movie and read the book must have been really confused.

Street Fighter (1994)
Do I even have to say anything about this?

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)
T3 was an utter let down without Cameron. Although it did have a few tremendous fight/chase scenes.

Ultraviolet (2006)
The conceptual design was neat, and Milla Jovovich kicked ass, but Ultraviolet tried too damn hard to look really cool, and ended up just being really annoying to watch.

Waking Life (2001)
An hour and a half film of existential rambling that feels like 3 hours of existential rambling. Essentially a feature length technical demo, it would have done better as a short film in the neck of 20-30 minutes.

Waterworld (1995)
I wish they all drowned.

Week End (1967)
A bizzare and stupid french film by some bizzare and stupid french guys.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Executor wrote: At least Spirits Within at least scores points with me for daring to be a bit more original.
so much bullshit in that statment it's not even funny
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:19 pm

the Japanese movie Blood and Bones. I didn't hate it, but it was extremely depressing.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Big Panda
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Big Panda » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:25 pm

Hypercube.

That's all.
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:30 pm

Ah, Mars Attacks is good enough. I'm not exactly sure why I like it, but I do.

And I'll risk my neck and say Scary Movie 3 was pretty good. The others suck though.

But the best movie of all time...."Monty Python and the Holy Grail". "Tommy" follows close behind.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:32 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Battlefield Earth (2000)
John Travolta you miserable fuck, why did you do this to us?

...I try to forget this movie ever existed.

The Core (2003)
I should have known better than to watch another disaster movie. It's only saving grace: DJ Qualls.

I just found this movie to be meraly meh. It's still more entertaining than most of the utter crap the sci-fi channel puts out.

Dark City (1998)
Was just too weird for my tastes, and having an average cut rate of 1.8 seconds was agitating as hell.

Never saw it, will try to pick it up.

Deep Impact
Remember the asteroid movie fad? Ugh.

You liked this better than Armaggedon?(Just asking)

The English Patient
A terrible movie based on a terrible book.

Never saw it.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Visually interesting, but totally pointless. There was almost no characterization, and I didn't give a shit about the characters that were trying to remove each other from their memories.

It's a movie about... what again?

Jingle All the Way
Proof that Arnold should stick to politics.

I liked this movie for what it was: Dumb fun. Plus Arnold in a Skin-tight red suit is oddly funny.

Tomb Raider (2001)
A nice set of boobs, stuff blowing up. I shouldn't have expected more.

You're right, you really shouldnt of expected more. I liked it, because it's one of the few game to movie translations that didnt suck totall arse. Plus it helps to have Angelina Jolie in there :mrgreen:

Mars Attacks!
Apparently, there are people out there that found this film amusing in some perverse way.

I'd rather not remember this one.

Meet the Parents
The first movie had its moments. The second tried to reproduce those moments, and failed miserably.

That would be Meet the Fokkers, Actually

Ocean's Twelve
I didn't bother rewatching this film to figure out what the hell was going on.

A lackluster sequal, which i'm sure Ocean's Thierteen will be, also.

The Phantom
As entertaining as a guy running around in purple could be expected to be.

I got heavily reminded of Count Iblis from BattleStar:1980 when I saw
this. Dear lord, I never wanted to remember that...

Repulsion
See title.

Never seen it.

A Scanner Darkly
Aside from a few good moments, and Robert Downy Jr.'s screen presence, the film left me like "WTF?".

I'll get around to reviewing this eventually.(Yes, I write reviews in a notebook, usually my general thoughs on a movie.)

Shame
One of the most depressing films I've seen.

Havent seen it, why do I get the feeling it's about military service in Imperial Japan?

Sphere(1998)
Liev Schrieber provided some entertaining moments. Then he died and the film ventured into the realm of trippy but boring.

I only vaguely remember this one.

Starship Troopers (1997)
Ambitious, but still crapped all over Heinlein's classic book. Anyone who saw the movie and read the book must have been really confused.

Have not read the book, thought the movie was fun.

Street Fighter
Do I even have to say anything about this?

Do not want.

Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines(2003)
T3 was an utter let down without Cameron. Although it did have a few tremendous fight/chase scenes.

Terminator 1 and 2 were light years ahead of this movie. I don't hate it, but it is significantly weaker than the first two. Plus it shits all over the message of the first two, which is annoying. The ending, for what it was, is rather ace.

Ultraviolet
The conceptual design was neat, and Milla Jovovich kicked ass, but Ultraviolet tried too damn hard to look really cool, and ended up just being really annoying to watch.

The overly glossy look nearly made me gag. It's good, as far as blowing shite up, but good for nothing else.

Waking Life(2001)
An hour and a half film of existential rambling that feels like 3 hours of existential rambling. Essentially a feature length technical demo, it would have done better as a short film in the neck of 20-30 minutes.

Never seen it, i'm probley better for it.

Waterworld
I wish they all drowned.

I liked this movie, and I think that if you cut out about a half-hour, it would really work much better.

Week End
A bizzare and stupid french film by some bizzare and stupid french guys.

Sounds like a typical art movie to be brutally honest.

Yeah, I know I fucked up the [tags], but I did have to do it by hand, so give me a break.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:34 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:
Executor wrote: At least Spirits Within at least scores points with me for daring to be a bit more original.
so much bullshit in that statment it's not even funny

That's why I said A bit, not completely.

Is your reading comprehension on the fritz today?
Last edited by Executor on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kyle
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kyle » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:34 pm

I hated the american versions of "The grudge", "The ring" and "darkwater".

Japan does horror right.They hardly ever do a "BOO" type scare.
It's always a suttle scare thats waaay more effective.

Take "auddition" for example...The scene where the girl is waiting by the phone and that sack in the corner and suddenly cutting away......
scared me shitless.
"It's good to have team mates...it gives them other people to shoot at."-Unknown.

"Who dare's,wins"-SAS motto

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Kyle wrote:I hated the american versions of "The grudge", "The ring" and "darkwater".

Take "auddition" for example...The scene where the girl is waiting by the phone and that sack in the corner and suddenly cutting away......
scared me shitless.

Psycholigical Terror>>> Boo horror. Hence why most zombie movies, are, well.... lame. :)

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Executor wrote:
Is your reading comprehensiion on the fritz today?
spell comprehension right, then get back to me.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Executor wrote:
Kyle wrote:I hated the american versions of "The grudge", "The ring" and "darkwater".

scared me shitless.

Psycholigical Terror>>> Boo horror. Hence why most zombie movies, are, well.... lame. :)
Except for 'Shawn of the Dead'. Of course, that's got layers of comedy in it, so its different.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Return to “Film and Video”