[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Banned
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 6638
Joined: Feb 10, 2014
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:31 pm

Jesus Christ. Talk about a full 180 turnabout.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Just because this kind of thing happens at some protests does not and should not reflect poorly on the BLM movement-- after all, I do support the cause at the root of the movement, even if I do not necessarily agree with how some of the protests manifest themselves. I'm heeding my own advice here and looking at what I wrote on my whiteboard: "Don't let the actions of a few speak for the actions of the whole."

However, I have no qualms about condemning the few. And I believe condemnation of a serious order is necessary here.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 2032
Joined: Dec 04, 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Postby Rei IV » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:52 pm

No, you're right, the BLM isn't without legitimacy. Still, those students and "F*ck Paris" assholes are scumbags/degenerates.
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami, Episode 25, "Do you love me?" ("The Ending World")

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 36
Posts: 8902
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman
Gender: Female

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:29 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:[url]http://eagnews.org/dartmouth-black-lives-matter-protesters-confront-students-studying-in-school-library/[/url]

[url]http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/15/dartmouth-protesters-assault-students-while-screaming-racial-threats/[/url]

[url]http://thetab.com/us/dartmouth/2015/11/14/i-was-proud-to-be-part-of-last-nights-protest-until-it-turned-ugly-978[/url]


These people are racist and are breeding racial strife. Up and coming generations of whites will start avoiding black people out of fear of being berated and assaulted because they're white, even if it's a tiny minority of black people that engage in this behavior.

There is a time and a place for aggressive agitation in a campaign for social change and this is not it.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 2032
Joined: Dec 04, 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Postby Rei IV » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Especially when students are studying. Finals are just around the corner.
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami, Episode 25, "Do you love me?" ("The Ending World")

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:39 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:These people are racist and are breeding racial strife. Up and coming generations of whites will start avoiding black people out of fear of being berated and assaulted because they're white, even if it's a tiny minority of black people that engage in this behavior.

...I'm not sure if this is satire or not, and I'm reluctant to assume one way or the other because you sometimes post stuff I can't make heads or tails out of, so I guess I'll prepare responses for both contingencies.

Satire  SPOILER: Show
What I'm communicating here is that there is a small faction of people attaching themselves to a larger movement with a cause that I can imagine a lot of people support at a base level, and that what this faction is doing is harmful. What I take issue with is that somehow these students thought it was okay to go disrupt the study time of other students, to insult them both verbally and with physical gestures, and to deny them common courtesy. I'm not suggesting that this is going to become some big, giant, generational racial split. I am suggesting that what happened at Dartmouth is a problem, and one that needs to be addressed, ideally by Dartmouth administrators and hopefully by the other students themselves. I'm explaining a situation, not trying to scaremonger.

Not Satire  SPOILER: Show
That feels a little heavy to describe what's going on at Dartmouth. I think you're spot-on about the racist behavior of those involved and their breeding of racial strife, but it seems going a bit beyond to suggest that this is going to become a generational problem. I'm not sure how much there is to gain by overstating the problem; it would seem to be better to talk about what specifically is happening, and what might come about as a direct, more immediate result.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 36
Posts: 8902
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman
Gender: Female

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Stupidity like that doesn't have to happen that often to become the face of the movement. Between the media latching onto it for ratings and the way things go viral, it only needs to happen a few times because people won't hear about all the times it doesn't.

That's the problem with these modern movements with no leadership and an inclusive "declare yourself a member and speak on behalf of a hashtag" methods. It makes it easy for them to be taken over by trolls, crazies, and agents provocateur.

I expect this to continue and get more intense on college campuses, because professors are encouraging it.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:37 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Stupidity like that doesn't have to happen that often to become the face of the movement. Between the media latching onto it for ratings and the way things go viral, it only needs to happen a few times because people won't hear about all the times it doesn't.

That's the problem with these modern movements with no leadership and an inclusive "declare yourself a member and speak on behalf of a hashtag" methods. It makes it easy for them to be taken over by trolls, crazies, and agents provocateur.

I expect this to continue and get more intense on college campuses, because professors are encouraging it.

I agree with you completely on these points. It does very well stand to become the face of the movement in the media, something that likely stands to anger the people who don't condone it. Your point about the modern, leaderless movements I also support; I've mentioned it myself to friends on campus and adults off it. If it makes its way to my college... well, I'll be out trying to put a stop to it.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 3908
Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Location: Outer Space Jupiter
Gender: Male

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:59 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Just because this kind of thing happens at some protests does not and should not reflect poorly on the BLM movement-- after all, I do support the cause at the root of the movement, even if I do not necessarily agree with how some of the protests manifest themselves. I'm heeding my own advice here and looking at what I wrote on my whiteboard: "Don't let the actions of a few speak for the actions of the whole."

I agree. It's never a good idea to judge the majority of a movement by the fringe minority. Hell, i've been a victim of that fallacy on this very forum.
avatar drawn by ToKki

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 36
Posts: 8902
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman
Gender: Female

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:24 pm

They problem here is that these people being are being taught to behave this way by professors of such and such studies that have no understanding of the historical and sociopolitical forces that make protests work.

It's amazing what nonviolent action can accomplish. Academics have introduced this idea that you have to be abrasive and invasive to get a message across and turned movements into a contest to see who can be the biggest asshole.

Violence only begets the thing which it seeks to destroy.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades
User avatar
Age: 43
Posts: 4882
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Anywhere
Gender: Male

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:24 am

Couple allegedly ate rapist's genitals - they went further than Bobbit.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 2005
Joined: Apr 13, 2012
Location: Oannentear
Gender: Male

Postby Lavinius » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:10 pm

[url]http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/11/16/hardball-questions-for-the-next-debate/[/url]
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Ray
Banned
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 6638
Joined: Feb 10, 2014
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:27 pm

^ At first I thought "looks interesting" and then it quickly spiraled into nonsense.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 36
Posts: 8902
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman
Gender: Female

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:55 pm

I like the Carson and Rubio questions.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20414
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:20 am

And now for something completely different...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/12002313/Police-in-Australia-search-for-drink-driving-men-who-rode-on-motorised-picnic-tables.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:13 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:If it makes its way to my college... well, I'll be out trying to put a stop to it.

Time for me to put my money where my mouth is. The protestors have arrived where I am.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:24 am

All things of radical islam related controversy have been split out. Carry on.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

unz
Israfel
Israfel
Posts: 458
Joined: Aug 31, 2015
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Postby unz » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:20 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:And now for something completely different...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/12002313/Police-in-Australia-search-for-drink-driving-men-who-rode-on-motorised-picnic-tables.html

^
Possibly the best news I read in years

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 2838
Joined: Dec 19, 2010
Location: Tamriel
Gender: Male

Postby Trajan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:22 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Time for me to put my money where my mouth is. The protestors have arrived where I am.


I often wonder if (or rather when) they'll show up where I am and how I should react to their presence if they make a nuisance out of themselves. I honestly hope I don't have to deal with it; last thing I need is an outlet for all my repressed rage.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:00 pm

I go to a large public university, and we have our own police department on campus separate from the city police department. They have a non-emergency line, so most students here are keeping that in mind as their first option of figuring out how to break up a protest that is interfering with the rights of the other students to use a space.


Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests