Bad music that is awful that you want go pummel the band...

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:26 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:I would have to say I agree that Nirvana is overrated, but "Smells Like Teen Spirit," I'll concede, earns its ridiculous praise even today.

I'll agree to this. 'Smells like teen spirit' was a good song.

Ludacris - "Number One Spot." Fucking laziest, most annoying sampling job I've ever heard. Just ugh.

Er... that describes rap in general.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:30 am

Executor wrote:
Er... that describes rap in general.
No, that describes BAD rap in general.

People in this thread who hate rap need to realize there's good and there's bad in the genre, just like everything else. How do you guys feel when everyone judges metal based on mainstream "metal" bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit and Korn? Now WE know all metal isn't like that, but most people don't.

Rap/hip-hop is the same way. I know someone online who produces several rap artists that also experiment with jazz and other kinds of music. There are some really talented rap artists out there that know their music. But like most things, you just can't look to the mainstream for it.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:48 am

But, its so much easier to make sweeping negative generalizations so we can limit the horizon of our own experience and feel safer in a smaller world!

Here's a generalization for you, based on the posts in this thread, I can only conclude that music is bad, a symptom of the festering of the soul caused by the awakening of logic and reason over the past few millenniums.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:35 am

Gym Class Heroes aren't all bad, but the rap we've been fed with haven't been very good since lazy-rap came along. The genre got too big around '97, and for some reason emotion became frowned upon. I guess it's much cooler to sound bored out of your mind while you rap. I'll always claim that every single rap-album is as filler-ridden as your average Britney Spears record, 2pac's albums too, but at least the guy showed some lifesigns, but then those stopped too.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:59 am

The ones that I tend to hear the highest praise heaped on (from people who aren't retarted rap fans) is bands like A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots. I've never heard either, but anyone here want to comment?
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:10 pm

slothen wrote:But, its so much easier to make sweeping negative generalizations so we can limit the horizon of our own experience and feel safer in a smaller world!

Here's a generalization for you, based on the posts in this thread, I can only conclude that music is bad, a symptom of the festering of the soul caused by the awakening of logic and reason over the past few millenniums.

:roll: Done slashing at that strawman yet, doofus?

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:54 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:The ones that I tend to hear the highest praise heaped on (from people who aren't retarted rap fans) is bands like A Tribe Called Quest and The Roots. I've never heard either, but anyone here want to comment?

Kind of a mainstream song, but The Seed is an awesome, awesome song.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:35 pm

I don't really listen to much, mostly rock from the late 60's and 70's. It kinda stops after Queen. To me, just about everything else isn't interesting. Although I would like to take my chance to spit on the suckiness that is rap.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:42 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:I don't really listen to much, mostly rock from the late 60's and 70's. It kinda stops after Queen. To me, just about everything else isn't interesting. Although I would like to take my chance to spit on the suckiness that is rap.

Totally agree, after Queen there isn't much rock-wise that I can stand to listen too. These days i stick to soundtracks, techno from the 90's, 70's and 80's rock, classical and opera. The current trend in music is just too mass produced/ over produced for my tastes.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:55 pm

So recently I got my hands on some Robert Johnson. Damn, he is good. Got goosebumps when I first heard Crossroad Blues. I looked into some contemporary stuff but ended up with really old stuff instead.

I'm also a huge Queen fan but I have to ask which era/album/albums did you guys enjoy the most?

Achilles Last Stand (b-_-)b
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:51 am

Rock kind of shifted focus after the 70s and you either kept with it or didn't. I think the 70s were the real pinnacle for that original, classic rock sound. So many great, revolutionary bands in that decade.

The 80s were really a wasteland in terms of great rock. So many new genres started devloping - many spawned from the great 70s bands. Almot all of mainstream rock was crap. Underground metal started to really form and take shape, etc. The 90s, IMO, were a better decade for a rock. There was a kind of resergence of old-school type rock with bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden (who, especially early on, sounded like Zeppelin meets Sabbath). The 00s have been a pretty dry decade for rock, but there's been some real highlights (Queens of the Stone Age, and The White Stripes).

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:57 pm

Oddly enough, I can't really get into much rock from the 70's and prior. Or a lot of jazz, for that matter. I group them together because they make me feel... smelly? Hot. Old. Sticky. Stale. Sweaty. Musty. It might be pure genius, but if it puts any kind of syntesthetic sour in my tummy, I probably won't pull it off the shelf unless it's for reference.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:01 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:I don't really listen to much, mostly rock from the late 60's and 70's. It kinda stops after Queen. To me, just about everything else isn't interesting. Although I would like to take my chance to spit on the suckiness that is rap.
QFT!!

Most of the stuff I am "into" is stuff from the '70's or '80's.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:23 pm

I mostly just listen to music from the 70's through the 90's. Can't be buggered to even like some modern music.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:58 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:Achilles Last Stand (b-_-)b

Great song, I kinda lifted it for my FF.net pen name.

Led Zeppelin
Rush (Everything before Moving Pictures)
The Beatles
The Doors
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
The Who
Credence Clearwater
Allman Brothers Band
Doobie Brothers
The Byrds
The Yardbirds (just before they turned into Led Zeppelin)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:07 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Doors
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
The Who
Credence Clearwater
Allman Brothers Band
Doobie Brothers
The Byrds
Not one of these bands belong in a BAD music thread.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:09 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
CorporalChaos wrote:Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Doors
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
The Who
Credence Clearwater
Allman Brothers Band
Doobie Brothers
The Byrds
Not one of these bands belong in a BAD music thread.

No, they don't. Actually, these were my favorite bands...

this topic keeps drifting to what we like, not what we hate.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:30 am

WELL THAT DESERVES A CHUCKLE
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:32 am

CorporalChaos wrote:No, they don't. Actually, these were my favorite bands...

this topic keeps drifting to what we like, not what we hate.
Reminds me of a famous quote on a music forum I visit: "I hate all your favorite bands."

:lol:

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:38 pm

I hate that hideous Nightwish band. It's not so much the music itself, some nice tunes actually. And it's not the terrible lyrics, I can look past that if the rest of the package is good enough. It's the singer. I just want to beat her with a shovel. Her voice just sounds so fake and contrived. They were also used to soil Eva with a terrible AMV, which I can not forgive.
Gone away

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”