Fanfic Authors' Networking Thread

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:after rereading my fic. I'm debating with myself over whether or not I should drop the Hideki subplot entirely. . .

Why? I liked the Hideki sub-plot quite a bit. No matter what kind of authority Misato wields, revenge is a powerful motivator. I'm sure half the fleet entertains some sort of violent notion towards the Third Child. Hideki is obviously salty enough to act on those thoughts.

What portions in particular are you grappling with?
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:46 pm

Basically trying to keep it as spoiler free as possible. I need a convoluted reason to get Hideki into where Shinji is being held. Or a convoluted reason why he's brought into an Area Hideki frequents.

Since neither really make sense given the events of 3.0, I'm contemplating just dropping it and rewriting the whole thing.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:51 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Basically trying to keep it as spoiler free as possible. I need a convoluted reason to get Hideki into where Shinji is being held. Or a convoluted reason why he's brought into an Area Hideki frequents.

Since neither really make sense given the events of 3.0, I'm contemplating just dropping it and rewriting the whole thing.

Is rewriting necessary? The rest of the story seems to hold together pretty well on its own.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Yo how long do you guys write your chapters mostly? I'm worried about my thread dropping off the front page because it takes me a solid week and a half to pump out a coherent chapter (normally about 15-20 pages/6000 words). Should I start cutting the chapters up to keep things rolling and not stagnate the audience?
Leave Shinji alone

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:11 pm

I say go your own speed. I like to crank out quick, short chapters (the longest is at 3,500 words, if that), but that's good for me. If a long chapter fits your style and preference, as well as the story, go with the longer chapter.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:16 am

My chapters are ridiculously short, sometimes amounting to no more than a couple of paragraphs. A chapter should be like a dress, IMO; long enough to cover what it needs to cover but short enough to keep things interesting.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:35 am

Heh! Nicely said.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:44 am

I'm just working from what I've been reading, which is Sharpe for the past six months. Chapter lengths are generally around 30-40 pages.

I guess if a chapter does its job well it doesn't matter how long it is, arbitrary measurements and all that.
Leave Shinji alone

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:21 am

I haven't written fanfics in years, but when I did I tended to drop then in 10k+ word chunks at a time. Probably not the best strategy though. :um:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:27 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I haven't written fanfics in years, but when I did I tended to drop then in 10k+ word chunks at a time. Probably not the best strategy though. :um:

Oof. That's a lot.

I used to write 1500 word chapters, heavy on dialogue so they'd reach many a page with such a limited word count. Some of my old stories were pretty fun, I'm wondering if I should revisit them and finish them off.
Leave Shinji alone

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:38 am

I don't really set off with any sort of goal in mind for chapter length, it depends on if it suits the goal of that particular chapter or not. Although I do think a lot of mine tend to be in the 3-4000 length. The longest chapter I've written was about 10,000 for the last chapters of Human Equation.

I don't really think there are any rules for it, just do what you feel is right for what you're writing. If you feel it can be cut up at an appropriate point and that is what you'd like to do then cut it up.

At the moment with The Catalyst the last chapter I completed was about 4,000 words.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:29 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Oof. That's a lot.

Indeed. And unfinished to boot! We're I to ever revisit that fic I'd probably break it up quite a bit and heavily edit from the beginning... But honestly the chances of that happening are nearly zero.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:28 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Indeed. And unfinished to boot! We're I to ever revisit that fic I'd probably break it up quite a bit and heavily edit from the beginning... But honestly the chances of that happening are nearly zero.

It makes me wonder if there's any room in the FF world for a service where people who have their old FanFics that they aren't exactly happy with just give them to a better writer who's bored to rewrite and tweak it, and publish under their own name.

It'd be cool, but boy it'd be a pain to work out. Maybe credit the original writer.
Leave Shinji alone

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:37 am

Okay guys heres the thing. Life is kind've getting in the way of me writing fanfic right now.

I have a math class to cram for, my folks are riding my ass to apply for a real university, I have to type up a resume and an analysis of a work of literature before I can send in the application, so I have no idea when i'll have enough free time to write.

I might send in some stuff I've completed to be beta read by a few people, but the SIRebuildP is going into stasis for a bit.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:58 pm

Same with me. I'm currently working on the 10th chapter of my Eva/Pokemon fusion-fic, and I hope to have it finished sometime soon. I have no clue when the whole story will be complete, though.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:45 pm

I'm adding myself to the hiatus until my exams are over.
Leave Shinji alone

TraxXavier
Lilith

Re: Fanfic Authors' Networking Thread

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:24 am

I'm looking for someone to prove reed my fanfic https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:21 pm

No one interested really? :(
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:50 pm

My wife used to proofread many years ago, and is at a loose end these days, so I've just passed her the link.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:32 pm

I unfortunately don't have the time, between writing my own fics and where I work it doesn't give me a lot of free time unfortunately. That said I've finally watched all of Nadia so I can finally start just reading your fic for enjoyment! I've been wanting to for a while but I wanted to make sure I had watched all of Nadia first. :)

Return to “Fanfiction”