Funimation: Evangelion 3.33 coming out February 2 2016

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:13 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Oh, come now. Surely he'd favor Godzilla vs. Megalon. :tongue: I mean, yes, it's awful, but Jet Jaguar!

I'm suddenly imagining Shinji and Kaworu watching over a small child riding that dolphin water bike thing, and I'm both confused and okay with it. :shifty:

(Seriously, what was that thing the kid had in that movie? And did he have two dads? Or was one of them just a friend of the family helping out while the mom was away? I'm so confused by the unidentified social structure presented in that film, and their interest in impractical floatation devices.)

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:58 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It wasn't just 1954, but that aside: between 1954 and Final Wars, which do you think Anno is more likely to give us?

Well, after watching the catastrophe known as rebuild and Q, I'm just gonna go ahead and say Final Wars with a little Son of Godzilla mixed in.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:08 pm

^ You attempt at stinging words isn't up to standards unless you reverence Godzilla's Revenge.

Seriously, watch Godzilla's Revenge. And then never watch it again. That's the only Godzilla movie that really depresses/angers me. I'm not talking about depression as though it were the same as tragic. I mean feeling completely unmotivated, worthless, and just entirely gross with life by the end of that movie. It's just bad. Bad bad bad. You think you now bad because you saw an Eva Q that intentionally confused and saddened you. Oh no. No, good sir. You need to see at least an hour of some kid living in one of the most ugly parts of Japan and dreaming about a talking Minilla and playing reused footage of the lesser Godzilla battles before you can eva say that a Japanese film is "bad." It is worse than Jar Jar Binks, Uwe Boll, and Twilight all rolled into one. It is worse than the Jay Leno chined Zilla from that Roland Emmerich film in 1998, and it is far worse than anything Anno produced that simply made you feel bad for a short while.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:11 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ You attempt at stinging words isn't up to standards unless you reverence Godzilla's Revenge.

Seriously, watch Godzilla's Revenge. And then never watch it again. That's the only Godzilla movie that really depresses/angers me. I'm not talking about depression as though it were the same as tragic. I mean feeling completely unmotivated, worthless, and just entirely gross with life by the end of that movie. It's just bad.

Yeah, I've only saw a handful of Godzilla movies. Not really into 'em. Though I actually liked the first American Godzilla film, while ironically hated the 2014 one.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:16 am

It's actually rather sad after finding out that Godzilla's revenge was directed by Ishiro Honda. What happened to the man who directed the best, to end up directing the worst?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:53 am

^ That's one of the things that made it all the more depressing to watch. Thankfully, Honda returned to form for The Terror of Mechagodzilla. (I'll bet studio pressures are what made Revenge so bad.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:29 pm

Nothing defines the internet better then young men with enough free time on their hands going onto fan forums for a series & saying how much they hated something... and then keep talking about it.

Either way, I'm kind've glad Anno is doing Godzilla. He's testing himself as an artist & when he does return to Eva for Final he should be refreshed & ready to finish the last film.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Just to bring this back to the release of 3.33, has anyone got any idea what this will mean for the UK release of this? As far as I'm aware Manga have the rights to release this but have said nothing regarding a release date so far. Anyone know if this is still the case? I know over the last year or so there has been some changes regarding Manga and Funimation in the UK.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:38 pm

It means it's possible, one supposes; previous films have been a couple of months later in the UK than in the US. But there's no mention on Manga's website or blog yet.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

MarioAyanami128
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MarioAyanami128 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Regarding the FUNi launch in the US, I have heard that they were indeed going to launch the Blu-ray/DVD combo. However does anyone here know if they intend to follow the trend of the Japanese release, making up to their fans who have been waiting so long, by launching the film's soundtrack with their release?
If anyone here has any contact with people from FUNi, it would be greatly appreciated if they were contacted on the matter. ^^
The OST would be the guarantee I need to import the American release.
The Eva-Zelda relations are way stronger than you can ever imagine.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:42 am

View Original PostMarioAyanami128 wrote:Regarding the FUNi launch in the US, I have heard that they were indeed going to launch the Blu-ray/DVD combo. However does anyone here know if they intend to follow the trend of the Japanese release, making up to their fans who have been waiting so long, by launching the film's soundtrack with their release?
If anyone here has any contact with people from FUNi, it would be greatly appreciated if they were contacted on the matter. ^^
The OST would be the guarantee I need to import the American release.

It'd be nice to see but I'd doubt it, I imagine getting the OST on top of just releasing the DVD would add another layer of complexity/cost more than they'd be able to recover. Although it would be cool if they could somehow release a compilation album of some of the best pieces from the Rebuilds, the music in the series has been fantastic.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:57 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:another layer of complexity/cost

Yeah, especially the cost part. "Hey, want an extra like a poster, why, that'll only cost you an added generous $30 more." Anyhow, if they ever do the combo in the UK, they'll probably charge an outrageous price for it like always or just charge you the Blu-ray on its own for the same price in pound as it is in dollars. Gotta love living in Ferenginar.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:55 am

View Original PostxPearse wrote:Yeah, especially the cost part. "Hey, want an extra like a poster, why, that'll only cost you an added generous $30 more." Anyhow, if they ever do the combo in the UK, they'll probably charge an outrageous price for it like always or just charge you the Blu-ray on its own for the same price in pound as it is in dollars. Gotta love living in Ferenginar.

Haha, yeah I can see it being pricey when it finally comes here. I'm hoping that maybe there will be an announcement at London MCM this weekend. I want to get that thing pre-ordered and secured as soon as possible.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:42 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:It'd be nice to see but I'd doubt it, I imagine getting the OST on top of just releasing the DVD would add another layer of complexity/cost

There's no complexity, as unlike video the OST doesn't need to be remastered from that released with Q in Japan. Given that, they can charge extra for a special edition with very little extra effort (not that I'd want to pay for a second copy, of course).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:04 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:There's no complexity, as unlike video the OST doesn't need to be remastered from that released with Q in Japan. Given that, they can charge extra for a special edition with very little extra effort (not that I'd want to pay for a second copy, of course).

I'm thinking more on the legal/licensing side of things. That said I'm not sure how that sort of thing works so it's a bit of a baseless assumption.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Bit off topic, but I wonder if the new Godzilla film will end up having a trailer (maybe the first full length one) for the next Eva film attached to it. It would certainly help boost the viewer count.

Just something to show that Anno's still working on the next film. It just sticks in my craw that he's putting this aside for as long as he can just so he can make this instead, while leaving the saga stuck in such a downer note for years.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:28 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:It just sticks in my craw that he's putting this aside for as long as he can just so he can make this instead, while leaving the saga stuck in such a downer note for years.

While Anno got severely depressed after 3.33, wasn't half the movie written and directed by another guy? So, does anybody think that will be the case for Final and that somebody may already be working on it that's not "The Master"?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:21 am

^ I haven't heard of Anno handing the job of directing over to anyone else for any of the Evangelion movies. He has two co-directors that have been with him since the Gainax days that are also still on this project with him now, but I don't think he ever simply gave up and let someone else take the lead.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:08 pm

^

I can't think of anyone else than Anno making 3.0+1.0. Masayuki and Tsurumaki are only co-directors while most of the work are Annos doings. He'll finish what he started with Rebuild and I don't care how much time he needs as long as it's certain, that I'll see it come to a end and so overall Evangelion itself. Though, part of me wants this to happen next year. I'll just watch it when it comes without any expectations and just want to get this over with and nothing else. Then I'll be free from these tormenting thoughts and feelings that I have for years since watching 3.0.

I know very well if I demand and expect too much from 3.0+1.0, it 'll just punish me for this. EoE is a example for that.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:26 pm

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:Masayuki and Tsurumaki are only co-directors

Yeah, what exactly do these two actually DO during the production of these films?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”