Undertale

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Undertale

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:30 pm

Because this needed to be made, I want to know if anyone but me has actually played this, its really good.

Edited in jimquisition review:
[url]http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/undertale-review-a-determined-effort/[/url]
Last edited by Rosenakahara on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:37 pm

I see it's pretty popular on tumblr, but /v/ hates it. I haven't played it, but i'm considering it.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:46 pm

/v/ hates everything though so I don't think that counts.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:47 pm

You're probably right. :lol:
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:21 am

The first I'd ever heard of this game was you (Rose) mentioning it. Since then, I've heard some small level of discussion about it at least one more place -- the Jimquisition, perhaps? And that's it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:18 am

Well its picking up some amount of steam on youtube and tumblr, its basically becoming cave story 2.0 in that not a lot of people knew or cared when it was released but word of mouth on the quality is spreading at a decent pace.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:29 am

I heard about it through the Steven Universe reddit, I am considering playing it but the minigame system looks rather weird and I'm not sure if the graphics land on the Cave Story side of stylized or are a bit too Game&Watch-era.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:41 am

Considering the choice of colours used, the style the game goes for and the writing as well as some inspirations here and there its essentially a spiritual mother (earthbound for those who dont know) game so like with those games on the graphics YMMV

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:45 am

I liked Mother 3 on the GameBoy (well, more accurately, my GameBoy Advance emulator) and I liked Earthbound too, although what I've seen of Undertale in trailers seems to vary between roughly the same and much cruder. That said, if the game's plot is decent (and I have heard it is) I'll give it a shot when I have some cash.

I also enjoy the fact that the game's creator doesn't seem to be afraid to laugh at his creation, if the Steam page is anything to go by.

On a related note, what's the combat like? I saw a bit of the 'spare everyone' action in the trailer, but surely it can't be as easy as simply pressing a button to end combat?

And I'm nothing like you

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 am

Never heard of it. Never saw it mentioned in any other site or forum.

Also next time post some more info about the game (gameplay, platforms) or at least a link.

Yeah yeah i know. Google it and such but this doesn't mean the OP shouldn't be more informative.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:00 am

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/22/undertale-review/

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:03 am

View Original Postunz wrote:www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/22/undertale-review/

Thanks.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:05 am

@Shinoyami65

Well you can choose how you play, you want to grind it out like a standard rpg you can, you want to spare the enemies instead you can, generally a "pacifist" run is much harder because you will be lv 1 the entire game, luckily nothing in this game hits that hard that its a problem.

Sparing enemies can be done a number of ways for some enemies you can just beat them up till low health then spare them, this wont work for every enemy mind with is why the "act" command exists (and honestly using said command over just beating some enemies up is both more satisfying and more rewarding in the long run), this command lets you choose from several actions by which to calm down/please the enemy you are fighting during your turn though during the enemies turn you still have to avoid attacks.

The fights in this game are actually really fun though since i never did a no mercy run i don't know how much some of the fights differ there except for one that leads to a very bad time.
Though the highlight of this game for me would be the writing and characters, its very charming and I found myself caring more about these guys made on a simple budget than most celebrity voice acted AAA characters that try to hard to make you care.

Also i edited in the jimquisition review to the first post because its one of the best ones i have read.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:09 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Though the highlight of this game for me would be the writing and characters, its very charming and I found myself caring more about these guys made on a simple budget than most celebrity voice acted AAA characters that try to hard to make you care.

Maybe i'll give it a shot just for this. I always appreciate a game with interesting characters and writing.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:28 am

So Undertale has now topped MGSV for highest scored game this year.
I personally don't like MGSV as much as others so I'm a bit biased but seeing this fills me with...determination:
[url]http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/90day/all/filtered[/url]

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:13 am

Cool. Nice to see this game getting the recognition it deserves.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:42 pm

Ok. Been 60+ minutes into Undertale. Game's the tits.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:11 pm

So this game is slowly getting into portal 1 levels of overhyped.
This game is a 9.5/10 for me and as an experience? something i cant replace buuuuuut....
When a game, any game gets over-hyped people shit on it and other people go in with ludicrous expectations and then get dissapointed when its not literally the greatest game to ever exist ever.

So if you have friends you want to play this game please just say its good and don't over-hype it.
(And yes i have been selling this game to people for a while but that was back when it was still relatively unknown, now everybody is lets playing it and i don't need to any-more)

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm too old to spend time recommending games on the net, unless it's our own thread or something.

Also I have no clue on how to align the 4 flowers. halp:c

facepalm, for some reason I thought they went only one way.

I think I suck at this game because I was too busy with undyne's attacks to figure out different ways to fight her, all I got was a "she thinks of a friend the attacks become less extreme". Damn it alphys stop updating your stuff:/

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:24 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:So this game is slowly getting into portal 1 levels of overhyped.
This game is a 9.5/10 for me and as an experience? something i cant replace buuuuuut....
When a game, any game gets over-hyped people shit on it and other people go in with ludicrous expectations and then get dissapointed when its not literally the greatest game to ever exist ever.

So if you have friends you want to play this game please just say its good and don't over-hype it.
(And yes i have been selling this game to people for a while but that was back when it was still relatively unknown, now everybody is lets playing it and i don't need to any-more)

To be fair, both games seem to bring something very new to the table (the portal gun and the sparing mechanic, respectively) so I'm not really surprised; I just hope it doesn't hurt the reputation of the sequel when one is released (although I still prefer Portal 2 to Portal because of the multiplayer, longer story, and Cave Johnson).

And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”